+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Private Health - which fund covers private midwife?

Hi all,

I am new to this website and forum, and am sure this has probably been covered before; but I'm wondering if anyone knows a private health fund that covers for a private midwife in a private hospital.

I'm keen on going to a private hospital (interested in staying in hosp for support as long as possible), but using a private midwife.

I am not pregnant yet so want to get this sorted as soon as possible so I can ensure I complete any qualifiying periods.

I'm also wondering, when going private, do you have to pay for an OB, or can you have a private midwife, and use the hospital midwives as well?

***new and confused!!!***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you're going private you will have an OB. No PHI company that I know of covers private midwives. Maybe try ringing a few (both IM's and PHI's) and see what they say?

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in the PHI industry and as far as I know, you can't get full cover for a MW, only an OB. However there are a lot of funds and plans out there, so best to check obviously.

The quickest way probably is to actually ask a few private MW if they are covered. They would also need to have authority to book you in to a private hospital too, as usually your OB does this on your behalf.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    The private midwives that qualify for the program with medicare have to work with an ob anyway, so they're not quite the independent middie most look for.

Most funds can pay on midwife consultations, but as a non-medical ancillary service. They don't cover midwife costs for birth (usually) in or out of hospy. The benefits for the consults are tiny too ($20-$40)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pretty sure you can't get a private midwife in a private hospital. We have a private midwife and I highly recommend it. All of our visit are done at home and I only have to go to the hospital a couple of times, one for the booking in and one for strep B swab. Booking in appt was the only time I've seen an OB and don't think I will again until the birth, all going well. For our appointment we get about 1/3 back from Medicare but her "management fee" and the fee to attend the birth isn't covered at all. I'll also get about 1/3 back for post natal visits.

We have top PHI with HCF and absolutely nothing is covered. It's ridiculous. It's either an OB or nothing with the private health funds.

We still made the right care model choice for us. I have no need or desire to be cared for by an OB. My midwife also runs the Calm Birth classes which is great.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Pretty sure you can't get a private midwife in a private hospital. We have a private midwife and I highly recommend it. All of our visit are done at home and I only have to go to the hospital a couple of times, one for the booking in and one for strep B swab. Booking in appt was the only time I've seen an OB and don't think I will again until the birth, all going well. For our appointment we get about 1/3 back from Medicare but her "management fee" and the fee to attend the birth isn't covered at all. I'll also get about 1/3 back for post natal visits.

We have top PHI with HCF and absolutely nothing is covered. It's ridiculous. It's either an OB or nothing with the private health funds.

We still made the right care model choice for us. I have no need or desire to be cared for by an OB. My midwife also runs the Calm Birth classes which is great.

Good luck with your decision!
    The management fee for an OB is also not covered with PHI anyway, so don't worry! Only their services in hospital are covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point! All up including six post natal visits it's costing us around $3k and would be about $2.5k if we didn't choose home visits for our appointments. Still well worth the money if you ask me, and we are going to drop our PHI so it no longer covers obstetrics since we are not using it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I'm with AHM and they cover $500 for private midwife, but I think it's only for home births and not payable if u transfer to hospital. I haven't looked into it too much so there may be more fine print.

This is something I'd like to get more info on too as I'd love a private midwife in private hospital for a vbac one day. I suppose once I'm pregnant I'll talk to my hospy and see what the options are.

Maybe a silly question, but can you book into a private hospital without having a private ob, and just use their midwives?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of your responses.

I've been doing some reading through other forums and it looks like there are a couple of health funds that cover private midwives (Australian Unity and NRMA, now MBF) but you can't use in a private hospital - which is ridiculous.

Looks like I will hv to go with an OB and hope that I get a good midwife, unless I go into public hosp as a private patient which was mentioned. Not sure how that works...

Can anyone recommend a gap free OB that's decent? I refuse to pay $3500 for an OB who probably won't even make it to birth...

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck finding a gap free OB! I looked for one when pregnant with DD, never found one, though Tasmania is very limited