+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bedroom for newborn

Baby #2 will be due early May and today i finally moved everything into what will be his room....... The Office! I cant believe it but ive got no choice.
    The office is right near the kitchen/dining area and our house is quite echoey. This poor bub will have to learn to sleep through anything!! DD 2.5 is quite active as well and is always running rather than walking. Her bedroom is down the hall away from anything so she is sorted and always was. I guess the upside will be that she wont be disturbed at all throughout the night with newborn cries, feeding, etc.

Has anyone else out there had bubs that have had to sleep in a room that is in a high traffic area of the house? How did they sleep? How did you cope?

Im hoping i can just 'let go' and relax about it all considering how active DD is. If she zooms past baby boys room with a thunderous noise i dont want to constantly be saying 'shhhhhh'!
    Ive always had this thing that babys/kids should be able to sleep through pretty much anything. I dont want to be tiptoeing around the house all the time. Heck, we will bring this bub into our world so shouldnt he learn to sleep in it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are there other options? Baby goes in your room to start with? Kids both share a room until they are older? Every baby is different. Mine slept no matter what was happening around her, but my nephew wakes up if a car drives past their house. You won't know what type of baby you will have until you have them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    when my son was born we lived in our shed - open plan, single room which had living room, kitchen and bedroom with nursery crammed into one. my son slept great - he was so used to noise and in the long run made it incredibly easy when we were out and about as he fell asleep no matter where we were.
    we have since moved into the house and i've made a point of having our baby girl sleep in the loungeroom during the day so that she is used to background noise.
    i personally think it's a really bad mistake to insist on quietness for babies. it is so noisy in the womb and everyone i know who has gone this route have babies that won't sleep anywhere but their own cots in maximum silence. my sil's boy has just started kindy and she still turns off every phone in the house, no tv on and i'm not even allowed to knock on their front door. all visitors have to text first....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub's room is right off the kitchen/lounge area. It also has a window out to our back deck where we live most of the time. I also have maybe the noisiest 2.5yo on the planet.
    What can I say, she copes! She's not the best sleeper, but she is better than DS was, and he had plenty of peace and quiet.
    On the plus side, you wont need a monitor!

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bub will be fine!

DDs room comes off our lounge which is our main living area. She was a rat bag sleeper as a new born but I don't think that had anything to do with our noise.

Now after a year of sleeping through trucks breaking (road outside) blaring tv, bbqs etc we can literally walk into her room, clap our hands, and she doesn't stir

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sound carries terribly in our house so DS2 has a noisy bedroom next to playroom. He had done well with it, we play white noise/nature sounds while he sleeps and I think it helps him sleep through the sudden loud noises that his big brother makes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a fan going in DD1's and DD2's room when they sleep. We live on a really busy road, with a speed hump in front so there's trucks, buses and tradies going well over 50km and breaking last minute. I'm very thankful to the simple fan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Glad im not the only one who will have a child sleeping with so much noise around them. In a way, im kind of glad our newborn will have to 'get used' to sleeping with the noise. Id rather that than a bub who stirs at every sound.
    I never put DD in our room when she was a new born. Im one of those mummies who insists on going straight into a cot in their own room. Parents need to get some sleep as well. Id wake at every murmur. Its hard enough getting to sleep with a hubby that snores and wakes at the crack of dawn to go to work and leaves every light on, etc.
    Im for the idea of siblings sharing a room. But if the new bub is anything like DD was with teething, he will be staying in the office until all teeth are through.
    Ive heard of stories of older siblings filling the cot with teddies, toys, etc and almost suffocating the baby. Id hate for DD to do this. So until i know that bub can call out for me to rescue him, then i'll consider them sharing a room!
    The white noise is a great idea. I also have a pedestal fan in DDs room because she insists sleeping with it on. I think she's like me. We love the air movement at night.
    And, im definately not purchasing another baby monitor! Thankyou 'LittleBug'sMum'. I never thought of that one.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We were renovating when our first two kids were born. The bedroom for all of us was one end of the L shaped lounge room, directly next to the kitchen. We used to put up a screen just so they couldn't look at each other or at us at bed/nap time. My kids will sleep through anything.