+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are these signs of early labour?

Hi feeling a little strange today and just wanted to ask for some opinions. I am 35+6 and this is my second bub. First labour the OB wanted to induce me, I went in at 39+5 had, had no contractions and was already 4cms so all OB did was break my waters and 8 hours later we had a baby.
    So I'm unsure what the start of spontaneous labour feels like. Here is what is happening. Yesterday I had that feeling of the baby dropping, yay feet were out from under my ribs and top half of belly seems empty. I didn't even think anything of it as this is normal. Woke up hourly last night needing to wee. This morning got up and had that feeling like I ate something bad and needing to do number twos but I sit there for ages and there is nothing. Having contractions here and there but not painful and nowhere near regular, also sharp stabbing pains in my cervix.
    I'm not one to just pop up to hospital for a check just incase, and it's not an option today unless it's real labour as hubby can't leave work, have no one to watch DD and wouldn't want to drive there on my own.
    I'm not to worried as I would def go if I was but more interested to see if this sounds like early labour or just the norm. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The pressure feeling i haven't had personally but i have heard of other ladies experiencing that in the last trimester. Same goes for the cervical pains.. I would get it checked out if i were you to be on the safe side. Otherwise i would just keep track of when you feel contractions.. I find i know it's early labour if and when the contractions go from bareable to starting to get a bit more of a pinchiness to the pain if you know what i mean.. Have you had any bleeding at all?
    Last edited by laurea; 13-02-2012 at 11:59.

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have only had one spontaneous labour, but to me it sounds like prelabour too. I would just monitor it, make sure your bag is packed and have a "incase of emergency" plan.

The dropping and the pressure is normal, as is contractions on and off. I am not sure what "level" you would call the contractions. With my spontaneous labour I had what I considered "Braxton Hicks" (about a 1 on the 1-10 scale of contractions) - but they were coming every 7 minutes apart, very regularly. After 3 hours of this I checked in with the hosp and they just put me on the monitor, said yep - baby will be here soon, and sent me home. It was another 48 hours before bub arrived.

I would just wait until the contractions strengthen, or start coming close together (under 5 minutes), or until something else happens - ie waters break or bleeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It doesnt hurt to call your care provider & talk to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for your responses. Had a very restless night with continuing contractions and sharp pains in the cervix. I think I will call the midwife today just to let her know what's going on and then follow her lead. I'm not to worried more just want the peace of mind that bub is ok. Thanks again for taking the time to respond

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mezzee For This Useful Post:

laurea  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mezzee - so was just wondering what ended up happening and if your baby has arrived yet? I ask because I'm experiencing some strange stuff today and really don't want bubs to come yet. I'm 37+3 and getting back ache, incredible sudden pressure down below, needing the loo but nothing there and crampy period feelings (not necessarily painful tho). I was told that bubs had dropped about 3 -4 wks ago and I've certainly had some rather uncomfortable days lately, feeling like a melon is lodged in my pelvis!!! lol! I just didn't want bubs to come yet cos my parents are away for another week and would prefer if DS could be looked after by them. Besides, I still need to clean the house, the car, do the gardening etc, all that "nesting" stuff you want to do!! My waters broke with DS and I was in labour a couple of hours later and didn't get any pre-labour stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mumoflewis I ended up going to hospital the next day with everything you also explained plus suspected leaking. They monitored me for quite a while and I was contracting, they swabbed to see if I was leaking and told me I could go home as I wasn't dilated 4cms and contractions were not regular enough and they could not tell if I was leaking so to go home and monitor it all. The painful contractions and pressure stayed until the next morning and it all slowly stopped, besides the pressure. The hospital visit made me no wiser as they said I could go into labour tomorrow or in 4 weeks I have been nesting like crazy since I got home and having a toddler leaves to time to rest up and bub still hasn't arrived lol. I would be very happy for bub to cool another week so that the sucking reflex is nice developed.
    Good luck I hope it all slows for you also. It's so hard not knowing if it's the real thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez just re-read my post and I apologize for all the errors. I'm blaming the iPhone for those words that don't fit into the sentences correctly

Guest Guest
    Sounds like some ore labour. This happened to me when dd dropped at 37 weeks (2nd baby too) but I didn't go into labour till 39+4
    The pre labour and baby having dropped was very uncomfortable and I was pretty miserable, just rest as much as you can cause your body is just preparing. Hopefully it won't be too long for you and the labour will be nice and quick!

Guest Guest
    Pre labour not 'ore' iPhone pft