+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest has the blank section... I tear up everytime I see it. It looks horrible and I feel horrible for him knowing it's like that.
    In saying that though I wish there was a blank section on my eldest's

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I agree it looks incomplete but sometimes it's for the best.
    I left my DS's fathers section blank. I know it leaves me open to judgement and criticism when i have to supply his birth cert and i know one day DS will be asking the dreaded 'why?' questions. I have my reasons and i guess thats all that really matters anyway.
    Oh I agree it is sometimes for the best. I was not very clear in the first post, it should be how do you feel about the look of them.

With more same sex couples having babies, and more singles going it alone with donors or runaway fathers, I think the way a birth certificate looks should reflect the family set up at the birth, whether that be for 2 mums, 2 dads, or just one section to be filled out for singles.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

laurea  (13-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS's was blank for the first few years but when things settled down I asked him to add his details, which he did.

I wish my DD's was blank though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On my DD bc it says father no needed which is absolutely right. I did think about adding him after we had the DNA done but it was going to cost me money I couldn't afford at the time. I ordered a decorative certificate too which is nice and isn't so obvious that there is info missing. Baby no 2 will have father no needed also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    in the US they put unknown, I get the giggles when I think "boy that unknown guy gets around" so its not blank but not sure which is better blank or unknown

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I think I would rather have hot pokers jabbed into my eyeballs then have to look at Ex's name on DS's birth Certificate. The words "father" and ("FOB'S name") put in close proximity of each other makes me feel violently ill. I don't mind the blank section. DP has said that If DS asks him in the future to have his name there, then he would more than happily fill in the blanks being more of a father to him then ex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not that I want her father listed, but it looks incomplete with the entire father section left blank.
    That's because it *is* incomplete. A birth certificate commands both the father's and the mother's name. It's just society that no longer conforms to this demand causing us to examine this.

Admittedly, I was tempted to leave that section blank but the rights of my child played on my mind. Ultimately, it's his right to know and not mine to deny. It's his future I'm playing with and I needed to own up to that. So the father is listed and this was hard but I think I did the right thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    That's because it *is* incomplete. A birth certificate commands both the father's and the mother's name. It's just society that no longer conforms to this demand causing us to examine this.

Admittedly, I was tempted to leave that section blank but the rights of my child played on my mind. Ultimately, it's his right to know and not mine to deny. It's his future I'm playing with and I needed to own up to that. So the father is listed and this was hard but I think I did the right thing.
    I did the right thing, too. Even if I did want it there, it would have been a battle because he would have refused, but I did not want him there, it would have made her life a whole lot more difficult if he was on there.

But yeah, I was asking how people felt about the way it looks, not about leaving it blank.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

laurea  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the right thing, too.
    Of course you did. I was talking about me, not you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never looked at mine and thought it looked bad. It just is what it is, you know?