+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle or Baby Jogger City Elite - Help!

I would love to hear from anyone that has a MB Urban Jungle or BJ City Elite and what you love/ hate about the pram. I do heaps of walking (average 5km a day but sometimes up to 12km), and have narrowed it down to one of these two prams.

The one thing I don't like about the MB is the seat seems fairly shallow and still slightly reclined in the upright position, and the one thing I don't like about the BJ is the under seat basket is difficult to access - I definately couldn't get a nappy bag or bag of shopping under there as the seat is in the way.

Would also be interested in how often you have to pump up your tyres on the MB - I've never had a pram with pneumatic tyres so not sure of what sort of maintenance they need.

ETA: If you travel on public transport (buses) with either pram have you had a problem with the size?

TIA
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 13-02-2012 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

We got the MB Urban Jungle & DF & I both love it!
    Things we like most about it are how smooth & easy it is to use. It's easy to fold up/down and has a strap to hold it folded so carrying is easier. I can push it around & turn sharply using one hand with no trouble. It has good suspension so very cruisy ride for DD. I think in the 6months we've had it have only pumped the tyres once. Note: get a bike pump or similar as the air pumps at service stations are too strong & apparently can stuff the tyres up. I've been trying to get in a walk whenever I can & have had no problems with the pram over distance of a few kms. I can hang my nappy bag over the handles easily and it doesn't interfere with the seat or my walking. Very easy to adjust the seat to recline or back up; & it has a good canopy for sun cover although I use a sun shade netting that you can zip on on really sunny days.

It does have a shallow seat but I'm not finding that to be too bad so far - might be a bit uncomfortable later on (when DD is a toddler) but by then her feet will reach the footrest so maybe not.

I haven't taken it on a bus yet, only the train so can't answer that one sorry!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a MB. I love this pram to death! All our friends have the phil n teds, Baby joggers, etc but absolutely nothing compares to the MB. Here's why:
    - Its super light to push. You try it. Even with one finger i can push DD (2 yo) up a steep hill or over a bumpy path with no problems.
    - Easy to fold away into your car.
    - Everything on it was made for serious walkers and people who get out and about. We go camping a lot and this pram has taken my DD on many hikes that have involved trecking over mountains with rocky/super bumpy paths, etc.
    - The basket is accessable and large enough to put blankets, coats, towells, etc in.
    - The entire seat cover can come off and you can literally just hose it down and hang it on the line to dry.
    - Every single ride DD gets in the pram is a smooth luxurious ride. The suspension is second to none!
    - The pram is just over 2 yrs old and we've never had to replace a tyre. Infact i think i can only count on one hand how many times ive had to pump up the tyres. We went to bali for 2 weeks and i somehow forgot the pump. If you've ever been to Bali you know that its really not suitable for prams. Especially wider prams. But the mountain buggy conquered all. We had no flat tyres and DD slept in it beautifully.
    - Your right, the seat dosent sit completely up right. But at the end of the day, i think id rather sit on a seat slightly reclined (not by much though!) if i was going on a long walk!
    - The seat is wide! Theres enough room for your child to sit comfortably without feeling squashed in. DD generally has a toy stuffed at the side in the seat belt too.
    - We travelled on a bus recently and had absolutely no problems. Whether your in a supermarket, walking on a path, on a bus, people are still going to have to walk around the pram whether they like it or not. On the bus, we sat at the front where the seats go along the bus. There was heaps of room for the pram.

In May we are expecting another child. so the only down fall about the MB, is that it dosent have a 2nd seat option. We looked at the new MB+1 pram and sadly, its the worst pram ive ever seen design wise. So, the only other pram i will go to that has the 2nd seat option that is fairly hardy, is the Phil and Teds.
    I literally cry everytime i think about how im going to have to sell my MB. Its simply the best pram ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a MB urban elite and it has pneumatic tyres. No real issues with them. Had the pram for 5 years and had to replace a punctured tyre once (went to a bike shop, done in a few minutes). It reclines in the upright position too and my ds had NO issues with that at all. He often fell asleep, frequently when I didn't expect it, so a slight recline was a bonus, not a drawback.

As for not being able to access the basket underneath on a pram ... that is a REAL issue. I use the basket under my MB all the time and it needs to be easy to access. I have a stroller that the basket is hard to access when the seat is up and impossible to access when the seat is reclined and it drives me nuts! Makes the pram useless for a long trip. As kids get older their clothes & needs for an outing get more (eg. drink bottles, food, hats, jackets, toys) and having that extra useable space is essential.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies I am leaning towards the MB, as it just seems to be a little better built and sturdier, but DS didn't look as comfortable in it as the BJ. I'm glad to hear the pneumatic tyres don't need too much maintenance.

I think the bag compartment being so hard to access on the BJ is the one drawback I really can't overlook.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A nice comfy seat insert will be all you need to make your little one look and feel comfortable in the MB seat. I think you've made the right choice!