+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Muslim friend

A wonderful friend of mine has converted to the Muslim faith in order to marry her long time boyfriend.

I don't know much about the Muslim faith and how, if anyway they live day to day life different to other beliefs. For example, are there strict house rules? Are there things that women aren't allowed to do like go to a day spa?

I'm really sorry if anyone is offended, I don't mean to. I just don't know much and Google is giving so much conflicting info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I think - like any religion - it depends on the people.
    I have Muslim friends who really don't do anything different other than eat certain foods, don't drink at BBQs and worship in a different way. The husbands love their wives and kids and the women are just as modern and progressive as I am.
    Converting religions for the sake of marriage is not uncommon or specific to Islam. I converted to Catholicism to marry my husband.
    Maybe you should ask your friend what you can expect with her conversion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    Maybe you should ask your friend what you can expect with her conversion?
    She's only just converted, she's in the dark as much as me in a lot of ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A friend of mine converted to marry. She is strict in some areas, but not in others. She doesn't wear a hijab or any other headdress or fast during Ramadan. I don't think she prays formally either. Her children do go to an Islamic school. She doesn't drink. She has her own private hairdressing business operating out of her garage. I train with her at the gym with my trainer. She told me her husband can't make her do anything. She can choose to wear or not to wear the hijab. Another girl I train with at the gym is also Muslim, but she has been a Muslim all her life. She doesn't wear a hijab or any headdress either and she doesn't fast during Ramadan.

Their level of strictness is different for each Muslim, just like Christians and other religions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the above. I converted to marry my husband, but I haven't changed my ways at all really! When my daugher is older I will take her to the mosque for important religious days. It really depends how progressive she is going to be, but in terms of day spas my inlaws have no issues with all that....as long as they people doing the pampering are female for some family members they will only see a female doctor.I guess the main change I made was not eating pork, wearing more modest. clothing in front of my inlaws and pretending to my inlaws that I dh and I don't drink alcohol.... So we are pretty bad Muslims

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    I agree with the above. I converted to marry my husband, but I haven't changed my ways at all really! When my daugher is older I will take her to the mosque for important religious days. It really depends how progressive she is going to be, but in terms of day spas my inlaws have no issues with all that....as long as they people doing the pampering are female for some family members they will only see a female doctor.I guess the main change I made was not eating pork, wearing more modest. clothing in front of my inlaws and pretending to my inlaws that I dh and I don't drink alcohol.... So we are pretty bad Muslims
    That made me smile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BrAins View Post
    That made me smile.
    Me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. Have a look at this website www.gainpeace.com. Its got information on basic things about islam and written so a non muslim can understand islam. im sure it'll help your friends.
    Basically, like any religion, muslims follow islamic beliefs to a variable extent. Myself, I pray 5 times a day (when i am able to as ofcourse its not practical at work), read the quran. I fast during the month of ramadan and celebrate eid ( its on 2 occasions, once during end of ramadan and than about 1.5months latter after muslims perform hajj in saudia arabia). eid is like muslim christmas..lots of fun!.
    Dress wise ..nowadays wearing a hijab is more cultural and whether your family does it. Like in my family my mum,and aunts didnt and i dont. However with the rest of your dress it is suggested to wear non rewealing,decent cloths..this doesnt mean to wear a burqa and the like..more like full length pants/jeans (not tight) and tops that arnt see through , and not oo tight. shorts and short skirts arnt good to wear.
    Going out wise.. i go out where ever i want. . Like i goto clubs but i dont drink. again thats an individual choice.
    Main food items that are absolutly banned in islam are alcohol and ham.

There is sooo much i could write... i'll try looking u more reputable website and post them here ! but ask anything else you want. im more than happy to reply !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

I am a Muslim revert myself and just wanted to add my 2 bobs worth lol. The main things that change for a practicing revert (women) is the way she dresses (more modestly and hijab/scarf) and the no alcohol/no pork rule.
    There is also the 5 pillars of Islam that every Muslim should follow ie - pray 5 times a day, fast during Ramadan, pilgrimage to hajj/Mecca, believing in one creator Allah and muhamed as his messenger, and also zakat which is giving to the needy/ poor, charity.
    Let your friend know you still care and are there for her no matter what religion and I'm sure she will be the same and the friendship won't change and only get stronger.

Being a revert myself it is a hard long road and does take time. But it's all about learning and believing.
    Islam is a great religion and makes alot of sense if you just give it a chance and open your mind.

Kayla