+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Unaccompanied minor flights

Have you ever put your child on an unaccompanied minor flight? What age were they? How did they cope?

Thanks

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i flew as an unaccompanied minor when i was ten. i had a flight attendant looking after me. i was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. Will reply in morning. Night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    She was 10. She coped well but I didn't. There was a oil spill on the runway (prime minster plane many year ago) and her flight was diverted to cairns. They didn't contact me or give her any food or drinks on the extra four hours she was on the plane. They would only sell her stuff and she had no money. I was mad as.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep my kids did it christmas just gone. they were 10 and 8 - it was only an hour flight from here to sydney but put name tags on them -flight number- destination- as well as a hostess - got a lunch box full of food and drink on the plane - met there dad in sydney. Cost me $144 each. one way. DD felt a bit sick on take off ( she gets car sick) and DS loved it. they want to do it again and i have no hesatation. It was through Qantas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I flew with my sister many times. I think the youngest I would have been would have been 7. I loved it!

I always seem to get sat next to unaccompanied minors when I fly with DS but they usually sit them at the back of the plane in a row on their own if the flight isn't full (with Qantas that is)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to fly unaccompanied 3 times a year, from 8 years old. This included a 45-1hour flight, transfer (4 hour wait at airport normally) and a 4hour flight. Anset and Qantas. Was always well looked after and enjoyed it as long as I had enough things in my backpack to keep me entertained

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app instead of cleaning the house!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep mine each went separately to visit my sister- 1 hr flight, one was 6, the other 8. They were super super excited and loved every minute of it! Saying goodbye to the 6 yr old I was a bit sad and she literally saying 'can I go now mum?'! I have them $10 each to buy a snack (for the novelty more than anything else)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i used to fly as an unaccompied minor to visit my grandparents. i think i was fairly young - around 5 or 6. that said im not sure if i would do it with my kids. maybe im a bit precious. i cant really remember it but i dont think i ever had a problem with it, i do remember asking mum to go on the train next time (?something different) but she wouldnt let me as nobody would look after me, whereas the flight attendants were 'responsible' for me.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The cabin crew are responsible for your children on board, and will only be able to release them to the person on the form at the other end (that's why it's important their ID has the correct address, and phone numbers are right etc). Same deal for the way back, just in reverse. I'm pretty certain that they hand children over to ground staff if they've got a layover, but there's no way your child should be wondering an airport by themselves. If ther are any other unaccompanied minors on the flight, they'll all be sat together . Most of the ones I see are excited to be flying without Mum or Dad, and you can tell who the 'regulars' are, but they're good at keeping an eye on anyone who might be a bit nervous .