+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Worried! 6mo not gaining weight.

DD was classified as 'failure to thrive' in the first 3 months of her life and didn't gain much weight until she went on Neocate formula for cows milk protein intolerance (was breastfed before the Neocate). She's done really well since then, but she was weighed at the paed's office on Monday and it looks like she lost 200g in one month (she'd gained 1kg the previous month). She's gone off solids, just doesn't want to eat, and she's starting to be less interested in her bottles too.

I'm worried!!! She was doing so well. She seems to have a bit of a cold today, has been drooling a lot lately and waking for 2 feeds during the night (my eyes are hanging out of my head!).

Anyone else had a similar thing happen?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Has she just started crawling, or moving around under her own steam a bit more? They do plateau a bit at that stage.

My DD's weight was a constant cause of worry to me, so I feel for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Cue  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I haven't had a similar thing happen, but if she is waking twice in the night, for a feed, I wouldn't be too worried.

She might be off her solids because of teething if she is dribbling a lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Cue  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Has she just started crawling, or moving around under her own steam a bit more? They do plateau a bit at that stage.

My DD's weight was a constant cause of worry to me, so I feel for you.
    She's not quite crawling but is pretty close. She can push herself backwards and spin around in a circle. These are pretty new developments so maybe she's burning off more energy.

It's awful isn't it, she's only recently made it onto the weight chart so I was hoping her weight problems were behind us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    she could just be a bub that gains weight slowly. If she is filling enough nappies and is alert - dont worry about it.

good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    she could just be a bub that gains weight slowly. If she is filling enough nappies and is alert - dont worry about it.

good luck.
    This was pretty much what the paed said too. She is alert and generally happy so he said to get her weighed at the clinic where she usually gets weighed so it's on the same scales, but not to worry too much unless she keeps losing.

I guess I'll just keep persisting - although it's exhausting we don't mind doing the night feeds, at least we know she's getting more food that way. It would be nice to at least drop down to one feed before I go back to work next month!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be demoralising for you cue to have her not gaining weight BFing and now FFing as well.

every baby is different and their gains will be different. your bub might be grateful in 20/30yrs time for such genetics.

I too have a bub that doesnt gain much weight regularly. but as long as they are happy its ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Cue  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I totally understand & have experienced the same worries as you. My DS1 has never been overly interested in food. Even as a baby he would fuss & not have good feeds (no interest in breast so formula from 3 weeks) He never finished his bottles as a bub, and was even worse with solids! At around 5-6 months he dropped to the 3rd percentile, DH & I were so worried about him.

He is almost 5.5yrs now and still on the 3rd percentile, it took a while but we now understand that this is just DS1 body type at the mo

Our Dr was never too concerned as DS was generally happy, all milestones in normal time frames, seemed in good health (apart from weight)
    All the best for you & your bubba

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyNanny For This Useful Post:

Cue  (12-02-2012)