+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default difference in first to third births???

do u think there is a difference in how ur treated after you have had two or more children ? ive had people say that in the hospital ur left very much to ur own devices due to already knowing what ur doing ???????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First birth - they insisted on keeping me in hospital for a week because I didn't have Mum or MIL coming to stay to help with the baby. MIL lived 10 mins away and was coming round regularly but not staying overnight so that wasn't good enough for the hospital.

Third birth - she was born at 2:42am. At 6:30am I was asked if I was ready to go home. I delayed until 10am then they virtually shoved me out the door. MIL turned up at the hospital in visiting hours that afternoon, quite surprised to not find us there.

So yep, big difference there. But I had put it down to budget cuts. When I had DD3 there was another woman there with her first bub and they insisted she had to leave. Her bub had been born the previous morning and she was told that since there was nothing wrong with her and bub, they had to go. She got onto her boyfriend and he wasn't able to pick her up until 6pm (after work). They took her bed away from her at 9am and she sat on the balcony (that people used to smoke) with her bub since she had nowhere else to go.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 12-02-2012 at 13:29.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

mummaofspecialneedsx  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just had my 3rd in November and besides the daily checks, I was pretty much left alone. I also kept visitors to a minimum so I really got the chance to recover and bond with my little one. It was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    with my first i was hovered over like a hawk
    my second i was left to myself only bothered for there regular ops
    im wondering with this one weather ill be told to leave that day not that i would mind all that much really an sweetseven i think that is disgusting making her sit on the balcony how rude thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me this was true. When I was in labour with DD2 & DD3 I did feel like they assumed I would handle labour better/more independently as I'd been through it before.

Each time, the midwifes monitored me for 10 mins then pretty much left me - In fact the 3rd time, the midwife actually said "Ok, just do whatever it is you usually do when you're in labour" (like it was something I did all the time lol) and left the room.

After DD2 was born I was left alone apart from them checking bp etc.

With DD3 I had complications after the delivery, so the staff monitored me closely for 24hours, but apart from that they pretty left me alone. But they were happy to help me bath her, because I was worried I'd forgotten how to do it!
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 12-02-2012 at 13:32.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With my first it was pretty much let us know if you need us, they were pretty attentive when I buzzed but were shocked when they discovered we had bathed and dressed bub without being shown the first night after that each I think they pretty much knew that I knew what I was doing with care routines.

I had #3 at home with just hubby so yeah Lol but leading up to the birth I chose to go to my major maternity hospital when I had some spotting and also for some monitoring when I went postdates and both times they were fine, one doctor tried to stand over me and question what I was choosing to do but she gave up when I stood up for myself and answered all her questions without batting an eyelid, I think they established I wasn't loopy so decided I was making an informed choice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wish we had better home care midwives were i live i feel as its my third i could really just be home dont think my partner would agree but would save alot of hassle but as i have to find someone to be here for my other two children an you never no when it will be

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump