+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing! Moving to Yeppoon in afew weeks and I have no idea what veggies to grow when up there.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Things are starting to dry out up here, so it's time to top up the mulch. Why was I so lazy this wet, now I've got so much catching up to do!!

I've grouped all the potted bromeliads together in a slightly shadier spot were they'll get plenty of water, hopefully I won't lose any this year. The acalyphas, hibiscus and mock orange plants have all been pruned back - another job I should have done earlier. Oh well, at least they'll have a head start in the buildup.

The veges are mostly planted, just got to get some corn and we're set. Most of my veges are in pots this year, we've got squash, zucchini, grafted tomatoes, honeydews, pumpkin, beans, rocket, bock choy, radishes and some herbs. Just remembered, gotta get some cabbage seedlings as well.

What does everyone else do in their garden at this time of year? Any ideas on other veg to grow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi katherinelouise - your garden sounds so yummy! Whereabouts are you located?

We have cauliflowers, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, chives, spring onions, onions, basil, spinach, cos lettuce, thyme, watermelons, pumpkin and beans.

We have a hydroponics table too and the cucumbers are growing like crazy but we've gotta figure out the fertiliser/water balance right as the lettuce and herbs arent growing really well ;(

What are grafted tomatoes? And how do I grow to bromeliads? Could i grow in a pot?

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sugarplummummy! I knew someone would reply

We're in the Darwin rural area. Up here there's something called fusarium (sp?) wilt in the soil, a fungal thing that kills some plants. When my family were growing hydroponic produce we had grafted plants to help combat this. The root stock is a really tough, survive anything variety of the plant, that doesn't usually have any other qualities you'd want. Poor thing! The stem of that plant is cut through, and a stem (of equal size) of the variety you want is taped or clipped on. I cheat and just get mine from the garden centre, cos i cbf. I grafted 5 different mango varieties onto the branches of an established but still young mango tree once, nearly fell over when they all took!! We also grew mangoes though, and none of us could stand them after a while, so it was pretty much ignored and got bulldozed a few years ago.

Bromeliads are great for growing in pots. They seem to like being overcrowded, so I only pot mine up when they're really overflowing. They grow well in orchid potting mix, or just get some coarse sand or bark chips and mix it with regular potting mix so it's really well draining. Most of my pots have small rocks or concrete chips in the bottom 1/3 cos they aren't deep rooted and I'm pretty mingy with potting mix! I've seen people growing them in the forks of trees too. Put a layer of leaf litter or mulch around them so they don't dry out as fast. Propagating is easy, just cut off one of the pups close to the base of the plant and make sure it's got a couple of it's own roots, then pot it. Give them a spray of water every couple of days, and fertilize lightly several times a year. Different varieties like different sun exposures, and I find it hard to tell what's what until they flower. You really can't go wrong with dappled or early morning light. Any scratches you get from them will itch crazily, so position spiky ones away from walkways or were kids will be able to reach. And no matter how spiky they are dogs love drinking from or chewing the centres out of them, so place them out of reach for them too. Or not. My dsd's used to love watching me chase the dogs with brom remains in the morning - entertainment and exercise in one go!

Geez I go on, sorry. I love gardening, and it's hard not to sound all lecturey.

I've never been able to grow cucumbers, what variety do you grow? Congrats on getting the hydro set up and growing. It's soo hard getting it just right. Wish I could help but it's been years and I can't remember any ratios. Sorry.