+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Book a time for c section?

Will be booking my date and time for c section in march and was wondering what is the best time?

Last time I went in about 5.30pm so then had all night to sleep/recover. Had something light to eat - hadnt eatrn since an early breakfast! But because it was a 5.30pm time throughout the night I had regular checkups so found it hard to get continuous sleep.

This time I will have a very excited toddler waiting with my parents, toddler usually has an afternoon sleep too. I know toddler will be just fine at home with gps but know he will be eager to see us (very rarely apart from mummy!)

So how do I pick a time?? I thought initially first appointment, but then hubby suggested another later one so I can recover through the night.

Suggestions appreciated...

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My elective was first thing in the morning - and it worked well for me.

You have to fast - so you just get up and not have any breakfast. You are nice and refreshed first thing in the morning - and usually the nursing staff are nice and refreshed too. My cs was booked for 8am but pushed back an hour after another woman in labour required attention first.

Baby was born at 9:20am, we then had to be "sewn up", into recovery for an hour and it was 11am before we made it back onto the ward.

We then rang "the grandparents" and had a couple of hours just DH & me to bond with our baby, breast feed, some light lunch and just calm down. Visiting hours started at 2pm so the grandparents came in for a quick visit before I had a nap.

I woke for dinner (which I wolfed down! I was STARVING) and then night.

The next morning was 24 hours (I wasn't allowed out of bed for 24 hours) so once breakfast was over the nurses then got me out of bed so I could have a shower. I was then at least clean for the visitors and all the medical staff which need to talk to you on the second day!

You are kinda hyped up from the cs, and you have the pain relief drip (which you need to plunge every 15 minutes) if you are in pain. So I think it is better to have it first thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKathleen View Post
    My elective was first thing in the morning - and it worked well for me.

You have to fast - so you just get up and not have any breakfast. You are nice and refreshed first thing in the morning - and usually the nursing staff are nice and refreshed too. My cs was booked for 8am but pushed back an hour after another woman in labour required attention first.

Baby was born at 9:20am, we then had to be "sewn up", into recovery for an hour and it was 11am before we made it back onto the ward.

We then rang "the grandparents" and had a couple of hours just DH & me to bond with our baby, breast feed, some light lunch and just calm down. Visiting hours started at 2pm so the grandparents came in for a quick visit before I had a nap.

I woke for dinner (which I wolfed down! I was STARVING) and then night.

The next morning was 24 hours (I wasn't allowed out of bed for 24 hours) so once breakfast was over the nurses then got me out of bed so I could have a shower. I was then at least clean for the visitors and all the medical staff which need to talk to you on the second day!

You are kinda hyped up from the cs, and you have the pain relief drip (which you need to plunge every 15 minutes) if you are in pain. So I think it is better to have it first thing.
    Agreed! Although mine ended up being born at midday and my second at around 2pm, and they still got me out of bed right after breakfast. But I definitely think the earlier the better, especially if u end up getting pushed down the list a bit which happened both times with my kids and is kinda unavoidable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I think I will ask for first appointment, last time I spent all day a bundle of nerves and was starving!

Great idea to come out and get settled then when visiting hours start - grandparents and toddler can come on down. Even though visiting hours clash with the toddlers nap time lol, it will have to be an exception for that day I suppose, am hoping to make it as smooth as possible transition for the toddler!

Does anyone know what time they would book you in for the first csection?
    I am meeting with my OB in 3 weeks..