+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Melbourne Suburbs

Hi all

My husband is in the final stages of an interview process for a job in Melbourne. We *think* it is looking positive that he may get the job. The trouble is we are totally unfamiliar with Melbourne and good subrubs to live.

This is what we are looking for:
    - 4 bedroom, 2 bathrooms for between $400-$500/week (could go more for the right place)
    - close to transport into city, hopefully no more than about 40 minutes commute by train/tram/bus
    - 15 minutes or so to a decent shopping centre (driving)
    - school is not vital at this stage (son is only one and hopefully by the time he hits school we would have bought) but we would like him to attend swimming, nursery rhymes and kindergym
    - easy commute to IVF clinics (unsure at this stage which one we will be going to)
    - good maternity care/hopsital close by (thinking positively!)

I have been looking at Watsonia, is this a "good" suburb?

Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like eltham better although I don't have huge knowledge of that area.

I am I the outer east and would recommend Blackburn I'm a bit further out than that but Blackburn is quite bushy and tree-y in most areas has a train station and trams. Is only probably 30 mins from the city, I know there an ivf clinic in hawthorn which is about 15-20 mins away, lots of activities for little and I think just lovely suburb!! But good luck where ever you decide!! Melbourne is really a lovely city to live in

ETA also next suburb over has a big maternity hospy, and Blackburn has a number of shopping villages

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummabec For This Useful Post:

Truffle  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree Blackburn is lovely. Quite exy though I think. You could also look at ringwood/heathmont. Both areas have train lines going through, easy access to the city by car as well (about 30 mins drive), lots of shops and shopping centres nearby as well as hospitals. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

Truffle  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Watsonia is a beautiful suburb!

As I was reading through your list I was thinking the North would suit you

DS goes to school in Watsonia (we are a suburb across) and ticks all your boxes. I know you said you don't really need to worry about schools but it does have some great public and private ones

Transport system is great out here, DS has about 5 buses he can catch home Its about 30-40 minutes by transport to the City, about the same by car.

The closest shopping center would be Greensborough Plaza..which is about 5 minutes away, Its just down from DSs school. But you also have Northland which take sabout 15-20 minutes, or Westfield Plenty Valley which is also about 20mins, or Epping Plaza 20-25 mins.

As for activities.. They are halfway through a new swim center in Greensborough, or theres a few YMCAs around too. Not sure about Kindergym etc as my two are way too old for that!

Theres and IVF clinic (Melb IVF) In Epping which is only 20-25 mins away, although we used Monash in Hawthorn (the one mummabec is talking about) because it has a better rep Thats only about half an hours drive.

Other suburbs in the north surrounding Watsonia are Greensborough, Viewbank, Bundoora, Mill Park, St Helena and Eltham.

I love living out here. We moved from the inner city and Id never go back

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Truffle  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as for Maternity hospitals, Privately you have Northpark (Im going there) which is 5-10 mins from Watsonia, and Mercy Hospital for Women in Heidelberg (15-20 mins) which is nice and new and is where special needs bubs are sent because they are very well equipped. Thats next door to the Austin hospital as well for anything else you may need! Royal Womens is the other Neo natal hospital, but thats inner city and a little far from the north, about an hours drive if you are lucky enough not to get caught in mad city traffic!
    Theres the Northern Hospital in Epping as well which does maternity care and general care. I don't recommend it. Its closest to me but I always drive to The Austin for treatment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Truffle  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest the northern suburbs. Watsonia or any of the surrounding suburbs sound like they'd fit the bill perfectly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

Truffle  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your input It sounds like we are on the right track in our looking if DH does get the job. I am probably jumping the gun and he won't get it now but I am a planner. If he does get it I don't think we will have a lot of time to get things organised.

I will have a little look into schools for DS in the general area. Ideally we would like a small private independant school for him but we don't need to worry for a couple of years yet.

Will also have a look at Northpark (thanks RWS) Hospital. It would be our preference to go private. I had a number of complications last pregnancy and I except I will be high risk if we are lucky enough for me to get pregnant.

Thanks again all

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    Watsonia is a beautiful suburb!

As I was reading through your list I was thinking the North would suit you

DS goes to school in Watsonia (we are a suburb across) and ticks all your boxes. I know you said you don't really need to worry about schools but it does have some great public and private ones

Transport system is great out here, DS has about 5 buses he can catch home Its about 30-40 minutes by transport to the City, about the same by car.

The closest shopping center would be Greensborough Plaza..which is about 5 minutes away, Its just down from DSs school. But you also have Northland which take sabout 15-20 minutes, or Westfield Plenty Valley which is also about 20mins, or Epping Plaza 20-25 mins.

As for activities.. They are halfway through a new swim center in Greensborough, or theres a few YMCAs around too. Not sure about Kindergym etc as my two are way too old for that!

Theres and IVF clinic (Melb IVF) In Epping which is only 20-25 mins away, although we used Monash in Hawthorn (the one mummabec is talking about) because it has a better rep Thats only about half an hours drive.

Other suburbs in the north surrounding Watsonia are Greensborough, Viewbank, Bundoora, Mill Park, St Helena and Eltham.

I love living out here. We moved from the inner city and Id never go back
    Could not agree more!! I'm in Doreen now but grew up in yallambie/greensbrough area I think it's perfect for families. My dad is in watsonia now and it is the perfect distance from everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH got the job! We are currently not happy with the offer but we will flesh it out over the weekend. Looks like we will have to look into Melbourne a bit more thoroughly.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    check out this website, reviews on all suburbs

http://localvoices.realestate.com.au...eater-victoria

best suburbs are also listed

http://localvoices.realestate.com.au...eater-victoria
    Last edited by ohdear; 17-02-2012 at 17:49.