+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was saving to go overseas I wrote "London" on my cards to really stop me at the checkout & think need vs want. More often then not I'd return item to shelf & leave the store. I also think drinking water saves $ & is good for you.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have found that the biggest money savers have required a financial outlay- Enjo cleaning products, cloth nappies, thermomix and a second freezer.

I only use water and Enjo to clean (except for a splash of bleach in the toilets).

There is always a meal ready to go in the freezer for when I can't be bothered or I can make a risotto in the thermi in under 20 minutes and for 14 minutes of that it is cooking and stirring while I am off doing something else like bathing the kids.

I make almost everything we eat from scratch.

I buy meat on special from the market and freeze it and have a well stocked pantry of basics- flours, pastas, etc.

I do a Costco shop approximately every 6-8 weeks for things like vegemite, quinoa, oats, toilet paper. I take an esky and hit the market for meat on the way home.

The majority of our groceries come from Aldi or Costco.

I buy fruit and veg at our local shop. They are really cheap, especially for what's in season. I have to pass the shop four days a week, so only buy what I need for a day or two so it is the freshest it can be.

I use Euca washing powder as I have found it really cheap in my front loader...cheaper than making it myself.

I use Enjo body clothes in the shower for myself rather than soap. The kids mostly just use face washers in the bath. We don't use a lot of products, just the cheap eco ones (natures organics I think) that don't have nasties in it. My conditioner (I am a frizzball without it) comes in a 1.3L pump pack from Costco.

I can't menu plan, I would never want to cook or eat something I had planned a week in advance. I tend to just go with the flow and have plenty on hand. I just defrost in the microwave if need be.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 17-02-2012 at 14:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh & Enjo is awesome. We still have the cleaning products we bought when we bought our house 5 years ago. I only use toilet cleaner. We use Enjo on the car too so no shampoo needed for that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My tips for saving money

I buy second hand clothes for my kids from gumtree and great pages like this one on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/PracticallyPerfectClothes
    I have bought so many lovely items in excellent condition for a fraction of what you'd pay in the shops!

I go to an apprentice hairdresser to have my foils done (usually costs less than $45 when it would normally cost $200). They are supervised by a qualified hairdresser, and I haven't had a bad colour yet!

Instead of buying books, I joined my local library! Instead of hiring DVDs or buying CDs, we borrow from friends or download instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subscribing!

ETA that our families biggest money saver is shopping at our church food bank. They collect supermarket stuff that is either close to the best before date or stuff they are overstocked with - from face wash to milk, sandwiches to toilet paper! Nearly everything for next to nothing.
    Last edited by captainscaptain; 22-02-2012 at 09:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Menu Plan and have a weekly shopping budget
    - Buy homebrand where possible
    - Bake snacks instead of buying pre packaged stuff
    Things like pikelets, scones, cakes, biscuits, muffins, pizza slices are good for lunch box's
    Also buy a large $2 tin of two fruits and divide into small containers instead of buying a 6 pack of mini two fruits for $7
    Same with chips, buy a large bag and divide into small ziplock bags.
    Instead of buying a box of icecreams for $6 buy a large tub of icecream and some icecream cones, it goes so much further.
    Make your own icypoles from cordial or juice.

I have 3 accounts, the main account that the wages go in, a bills account and a savings account.
    I put away a certain amount each week to cover the bills (i do this online) and leave my food shop money and petrol money in the main account and the rest goes into savings account.

My budget includes all bills, school fee's, bdays, xmas etc.
    I have a spread sheet of the whole year so i can see what bills are coming up each month and i pay them online each week when i do my banking.

Make larger portions of dinner and put some aside for work lunches.

Op-shop for all sorts of things- books. clothes, tupperware, toys, board games etc.

Sell things you don't need on gumtree (its free to advertise)

Choose family activity's that are cheap or free, beach, camping, bushwalks, picnics, parks.

Eat No meat......Go Vegetarian and save some $$$
    Dont get takeways
    Pack a picnic lunch when you go out.

Buy wrapping paper and bday cards from $2 shops rather than coles/kmart.
    Last edited by Thunderstorm; 07-03-2012 at 20:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderstorm For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our family:

We try to avoid eating out as much as possible. When we go out and about we bring snacks and water from home.

I write down our expenses (to the smallest things)

I agree menu plan. I only buy what i need to cook for 2 or 3 days menu plan. So I shop 2 or 3 times a week ( we live close to food market and grocery shops).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do my groceries online, I keep fiddling with the meal plan and items untill I come under budget. Even paying the delivery fee I come out ahead. Coles and Woolworths also do 'click and collect'. You order on line, they put it together and you pick it up-no delivery fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many other great suggestions.

1. We don't smoke and rarely drink.
    2. We watch a DVD at home for entertainment.
    3. Kids (and adults) have home-made slice or cake in their lunch boxes which were made in bulk, cut into bakery sized (generous) portions, then wrapped and frozen individually. The prepackaged crap costs more and doesn't fill as much.
    4. We try to share one car. At present we have a second smaller car for A to learn to drive (and/or crash!).
    5. We mostly only eat fruit between meals.
    6. Cloth and BF babies.
    7. Shopping for groceries weekly or fortnightly with only emergencies in between.
    8. Clothes etc only on special.
    9. Use ebay for everything where possible.

BUT we don't skimp on:

10. School fees (kids attend the local Catholic school).
    11. Sport or other social / cultural opportunities.
    12. Giving to our designated charities (we have chosen about 4 close to our hearts and only support those eg. Karinya house for mothers and babies, sponsor child with childfund), so won't respond to telemarketers.
    13. Quality meat, veg and milk (use local milk). And will always buy Australian Made where there's a choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly off topic (sorry OP) but just reading the last post (last line actually) - I am always torn as I try hard not to buy Coles/Woolies own brands so they can't end up in a total duopoly (as I am sure when they eventually do it is bye bye cheap home brand type prices). But they're always cheaper! I certainly won't buy their milk. I have friends who literally buy all their groceries home brand...