+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another fan of menu planning! If I menu plan I can shop for about $80-100 a week... If I dont' it can cost about $200
    Also I get what I can from Aldi before going to the supermarket.
    For cleaning, I use a squirt of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle, or diluted dettol for wiping down the tables and benches (I just like the smell!) I do have white king gel for the toilets though, I can't budge on that!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

financialhelpplease  (12-02-2012),jagamoe  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing! Also using cloth rather than disposables - cant believe how easy it is what else..... Definately meal planning. I was the worst impulse buyer so now I meal plan for a fortnight and do it all online. It gets delivered for free because it's over a certain amount. I'm in Darwin so can't use fresh green grocers unfortunately - have only Coles or Woolies to choose from!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

financialhelpplease  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    smart menu planning - scan the catalogues, see whats on special and plan your weeks menu around that - don't be afraid to shop at Aldis and Coles/Woolworths if they are both handy.

get all the free rewards cards possible to stop yourself shopping in one shop only

save your rewards points for gift vouchers

find a local butcher or market to buy fruit/vegies and meat

If you have roast pork then make your own applesauce, stewing enough apples to make an apple pie, cooking enough roast pork for a second meal or cold cuts for lunch

when making spaghetti bolognese cook enough mince to make a lasgne and freeze it for next week

when cooking rice for fried rice, cook an extra cup to make cheese and rice quiche/muffins for lunches

buy no-name or coles brand cheese and grate it youself

extend casserols/stews with a can of chick peas

plan at least one night (if not more) to be meat free

allow yourself treats

NOT all cooking from scratch is cheaper, but most of the time it is

grow herbs to give meals flavour

don't buy newspapers, read the newspapers on the internet

put the washing machine on at night after 11 to use off peak electricity

do not use energy guzzlers all at the same time - do not vacuum while the dishwasher is on, use the dishwasher when you wont need the microwave for awhile, don't vacuum/dishwasher/washing machine all at the same time - you'll pay peak electricity costs for that whole hour

keep a list in your bag of everyone you need/want to buy birthday/christmas presents for, and as you see stuff on clearance/special buy it and put it away - I saw Shaefer pens at the Post Office on Friday for $5ea, so I bought two for the teachers christmas presents at the end of the year

start now making Cards and presents for birthdays and christmas

do a budget, and also record EVERYTHING you spend money on for a month - you'll see where your money goes

shop around for ALL of you mortgage, creditcards and insurances - do the leg work NOW and be prepared to swap or move

put your saving in a different bank than the account you access for everyday spending and DO NOT take that access card with you when you go out

keep your car b/w half and 3/4 full of petrol (fill up frequently) - when your car has less petrol you lose some petrol in evapouration in the tank - the less room = less evap. Also keep an eye on the fuel price cycles and try to fill up when it's at it's lowest

drive sedately - you use a lot of petrol in accelerating, not to mention tyres/brakes

keep your car well tunes and manitained - that way there less chance of costly repairs

pay all your bills on the same cycle as your income - it saves bill shock - so pay the electricty etc weekly/fortnightly by direct deposit

Bpay rather than use cash/chq or credit card

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

nelle7250  (12-02-2012),ShanandBoc  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine made a list of 20 or so recipes for meals. Then she goes through the cateloges and picks a weeks worth of meals that are on special for that week.
    I really need to do this as well but so hard with an unstable wages. Once DP is workin more I am taking up all of these great ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a bit of an envelope system. I take out cash every week (I need to see the cash to know what I'm spending, if I leave it all in the account I'll just burn up my card) and this is to cover all groceries, coffee, take out, alcohol, impulse buys etc. This really makes me think about what I'm spending but not taking away my ability to "splurg" if I want to, it just means I can't pay for something else eg if I want the flash bottle of wine, no coffees at work for the week, if I want to eat a flash meal, no impulse buys of clothing/chocolate - whatever. I try not to buy anything unless it's on special/discounted.I cut out pictures of what i'm saving for to motivate me on the fridge so anytime I'm tempted to buy something i don't really need I can just visualise my goal.I try and make it a game of "how much I can save this week" so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, but rewarding myself. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like it. I have done the envelop thing but not the pictures. I'll use the pictures to help with my goals. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing
    Love this thread, great ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Buy in bulk, cook en masse and freeze. It's quicker to defrost a homemade curry than to get take away. And cheaper and much healthier.

And I get DH to do the supermarket shopping from a list. He's never tempted to impulse buy.

We only buy staples like milk and toilet paper from the supermarket. All fresh food is from the market. Soooo much cheaper and fun to market shop as a family. And the stallholders all know us now so the kids always get given stuff too LOL. That saves money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get my DH to do the grocery shopping too as he is so not an impulsive shopper like moi! Definitely a good money saving strategy !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and vinegar, bicarb and clove oil instead of expensive chemical cleaning products!