+ Reply to Thread

Default Please share your most budget friendly family recipes?

In light of our current financial situation could you please share you most budget friendly family recipes for 2 adults & 4 children. Thankyou thankyou thankyou

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vegetarian lasagne!

One box pasta sheets
    Big bottle of pasta sauce (the huge ones on the bottom of the shelf)
    Eggplant (don't need a huge one, a little one is enough)
    Pumpkin (again a little one is enough)
    2 zucchinis
    Petipa seeds

Put a bit of sauce down the bottom of the Pyrex dish, layer a thin layer of pasta sheets then eggplant, sauce, lasagne sheets, thin layer of pumpkin, sauce, sheets, zucchini, rest of the sauce and then some pepita seeds if you have them.

Makes a HUGE lasagne and cost very little!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

financialhelpplease  (12-02-2012)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rice and pasta dishes are always cheap!

We have only a family of 4 but DS and DH eat enough for 2!

Tuna pasta is always a hit and its dirt cheap!

Equal parts plain flour and butter (I never measure...but probably about half a cup of flour and a matching pile of butter )
    Melt that slowly and once melted take it off the heat and slowly (as in a few ml at a time) whisk in about 2 cups of milk.
    Return to heat and continue whisking until you see it thicken, add a can of drained tuna (I use the big Sirena one, but there are MUCH cheaper varieties) and about 6 slices of kraft singles..you can use whatever cheese you like but my family prefer this one.
    Keep whisking it through until the cheese has melted and pour it over cooked pasta. Add salt/pepper if you wish, I never do though!

Risottos cost next to nothing too..especially if you cheat like I do
    If I make a pumpkin risotto, I add half a can of pumpkin soup instead of real pumpkin. Same with mushroom..my kids don't like mushroom so I add a can of mushroom soup instead of real mushrooms, they eat it fine! I use only one chicken breast for 4 people in all of my risottos too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

financialhelpplease  (12-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    100 Posts in a week
    I love this one, we have it once a week with homemade flat bread.

Chickpea and lentil curry

1 large onion diced
    1 small chilli finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    5 tsp curry powder
    Pinch cayenne pepper (I omit this as its way to spicy)
    800g water*
    2 tbsp stock paste (or equal liquid stock using above water)
    Handful baby spinach
    400g rinsed red lentils
    2 tins drained chickpeas
    Plain yoghurt and coriander leaves for garnish

This is a thermy recipe but here is the converted method.

Fry off onion, chilli, curry powder and cayenne pepper in olive oil for 4 minutes over medium heat, add water/stock paste, lentils and chickpeas and cook for 16 min until lentils are tender, add in spinach towards end, serve with yoghurt and coriander. I'm making chippolatas (sp?) and salad to go with it

*you will need to watch the water level as thermy recipes usually call for less water than conventional ones.

springfield lakes
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my go to meal is Tuna Bake, DP hated tuna until i made this for him and its now one of his favourites, DD whose 18 mths love it too and i generally always have all the ingredients.

1 lg tin of Tuna in springwater, drained
    1 onion chopped
    1 capsicum chopped
    1 cup frozen veg
    1 packet chicken noodle soup (made up with 1/2 cup hot water and 1/2 cup milk)
    plain flour
    cornflake crumbs (must be cornflake crumbs, its the secret!)
    grated cheese

In frypan fry onion and capsicum til soft. add tuna, made up soup and frozen veg (i blast these in microwave in some water first) add about a tbsp flour and a tbsp milk and stir (if needed add more of either until you feel its at a good gloopy consistancy)

transfer into baking dish and top with crumbs then cheese and bake in moderate oven for about 10 mins til golden. can serve with rice or pasta YUMMO!