+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, do you have an iPhone there is a great free app to help you quit smoking it's called my quit coach, I got it when I found out I was pregnant an it really helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi rollercoaster2012,

You're doing great! I was a 30-40 a day smoker when I found out I was pregnant (which TERRIFIED me to no end, had to seek psych help as I had always said I would never have children due to severe fear of childbirth, anyway hypnobirthing saved me, but I digress..) I also decided it was best to end things with FOB and had a LOT on my plate at work, so I totally understand the STRESS factor. I of course felt incredibly guilty and was crying if I lit up, and because of this managed to quit completely before 2 weeks was up. I know it sounds awful but the guilt is a good thing - it will help you quit. I never softened the blow for myself mentally by making excuses as to why it was 'okay' to have that smoke (like I always did other times that I wanted to quit but couldn't)... you feel like you're doing the wrong thing, because you are. Sorry if that sounds mean, but it's not like I'm telling you something you don't already know. We all know about babies of smoking mothers having a low birth weight (I always wondered what the big deal about that was - wouldn't it mean an easier birth?) but further down the track these babies are much more likely to develop asthma, and behavioural problems & learning difficulties and baby girls are more likely to take up smoking themselves when they are older. One of my friends smoked lightly during her entire pregnancy, has a young daughter that took up smoking behind her back and has asthma and a boy with behavioural & learning issues, I only hope her new bub is lucky. Anyway I'm not here to make you feel worse (I know you're beating yourself up as it is) just to tell you that it IS possible and you will feel so PROUD of yourself once you've quit and really put your baby first. The best thing is if you manage not to go back to them after baby is born, you will save CRAPLOADS of money - which you will need

Oh, also Mocconna (sp) make a decaf instant coffee that tastes better than all other instant coffees IMHO (it was my saviour), bit expensive but worth it

Best of luck to you in everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi hope everything going ok, when i was pregnant with my 16mth i found it hard to give up coffee especially when hubby had 3am get ups so i switched to hot choc still gave me the warm drink without the worries. hope it helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was stressing over being financially okay when I found out I was pregnant, but I was thinking, apart from a basinette and pram, there isnt actually that much you need to buy for the next year. BF if you can which will save a fortune in formula, bottles and sterilising equipment.

As long as baby has somewhere to sleep, has something to go out in, has clothes on his/her back and a clean nappy...they dont actually 'need' much else for the first few months.

Also, think of all the dosh you will be saving once you stop smoking!!

A friend of mine once told someone to always start from the last cigarette you would have. If you smoked a pack a day, aim to have at least 1 cigarette left at the end of the day when you go to sleep. If you can do that its an accomplishment. The next day, aim to have 2 left and so on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stopping smoking and getting yourself in a better financial position go hand in hand. Stopping smoking is hard but growing a baby as a smoker and being broke because of it would be harder. I would have a talk to a doctor or pharmacist about nicotine replacement- I know you shouldn't have nicotine in your system being pregnant but surely it is better than smoking as you wouldn't have all the carbon monoxide etc etc in it? Babies don't cost much to keep and you may become eligible for Centrelink payments when you have bubs. In the meantime identify the things you spend your money on and start to well...stop! Have you thought about switching to tea instead of cofee because if you are like I was as a smoker I had such a strong association between coffee and cigs that coffee had to go for a while (drinking was totally out of the question- I had such a strong association!).
    It sounds like you are well on the way- keep talking on the forum and don't become too disheartened by anything- pregnancy is a funny time emotionally (funny peculiar not Ha ha!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm happy to report I haven't had a cigarrette for a week now!
    I never thought I could quit but my body simply rejected it one day and i haven't had a craving or wanted to have one since.. I'm quite amazed

I don't want caffeine either and I am not craving it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster2012 View Post
    I never thought I could quit but my body simply rejected it one day and i haven't had a craving or wanted to have one since.. I'm quite amazed

Well done!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are cramps normal

Hey Mums & Mums to be out there I have a question that I can't seem to answer. I am about 8 weeks pregnant and within the last week I have been experiencing period like cramps. I am in the middle of where my period cycle normally would be, so could that be the reason my body releasing an egg??? I'm a little confused as this is my first and I have been so busy at work that I haven't had the time to read more info about it, hoping someone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster2012 View Post

Well Done!!!! Very proud of you

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
    Hey Mums & Mums to be out there I have a question that I can't seem to answer. I am about 8 weeks pregnant and within the last week I have been experiencing period like cramps. I am in the middle of where my period cycle normally would be, so could that be the reason my body releasing an egg??? I'm a little confused as this is my first and I have been so busy at work that I haven't had the time to read more info about it, hoping someone else has had a similar experience.
    Hey Hutchy,

I remember having period like cramps too in the first trimester. No bleeding though, so I figured if it wasn't anything too bad and went away fairly soon it should be ok and didn't need to go into the dr's. I just did some online searching now and apparently it's normal, but of course if you're concerned pop in and see your GP.