+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default scared mom 2 be..

I found out very recently that I'm expecting. It wasn't planned.
    I am happy (though I am crying a lot too). Hubby and I are going through a lot of money problems, we weren't expecting to start a family until the beginning of next year, once we had our financial situation under control.

On top of that I'm a massive caffeine and nicotine addict. Giving up both addictions has been incredibly difficult, I have relapsed a few times which makes me feel guilty and frustrated.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation?
    any words of encouragement?

I'm so overwhelmed by all of this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have no advice jut giving you a bump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can u start by cutting your coffees down to decaf? Still has caffeine, but on a much lower scale....? Just a thought.
    Can't help with the other thou, I've never smoked....is it worth chatting to your doctor about it?
    Good luck, you'll be fine. And just the fact that you are consciously trying to stop them both is half the battle won, you're doing a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats. Know what u mean about the financial problem, my partner and I are both been unemployed for a few months when we found out. I've had to change my diet dramatically trying to eat low GI foods and no extra sugar due to blood sugar problem and weight.
    I think if you have cut down a fair amount and been trying to quit you should give yourself a pat on the back. Don't feel bad because of your relapse. Say for eg if you we're smoking a pack a day and now it's half you are doing well. Just try to keep at it, not everyone can quit cold turkey. Talk to your doctor about safe remedies to help you slow down and hopefully quit.

Expecting our first on the 14th of August..

Sent from IPhone using Bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep hard one i know. I know it doesn't help your situation but there are lots of out their struggling financially, just do your best and good luck! Caffeine and smoking - another two toughies. I didnt find it hard to get Off coffee cuz I didn't like the taste (usually about 3-4 cups a day!) so I moved to tea for a lite while then nothing :-(
    Unfortunately took me while to quit smoking. I cut down dramatically but to actually quit was hard and took the first few months! Just try and cut down day by day! :hugs and good luck!!!!

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much ladies!

I've gone from drinking huge amounts of coke and coffee, to only having a coffee in the morning.. which is a pretty big achievement. I'm drinking lots of water now too.

Smoking is tougher - the drs I've seen have said I can't use any replacement methods and that its just a "mental thing".. I wish that was true, its not! I really want to quit and have gone down considerable (from 25 down to 6), I'm hoping to go down to zero pretty soon. Every time I light up I end up crying, its so bad! I'm in this constant battle with myself.

.. and I'm in such a horrible horrible mood. I don't have a lot of friends as I recently moved to this new city so my support system is pretty non-existant, thats why I decided to join a forum.

thanks for all your support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey rollercoaster. I think you're doing a fantastic job! Finances are hard and I know with DH he had soooo much debt when we were pregnant. We ended up joining MyBudget because he was faced with losing the house or the car (car ended up getting repo'd and we sold the house to rent in a better place). Either way. My point is, maybe you won't be financially sound when baby comes, but you can at least take steps now to be on your way. It'll take discipline and hard work but it can pay off. You can get a lot of big item baby things quite cheap and they'll still be reliable. We got nearly everything given to us at first. I know there's a huge fuss over how expensive babies are, but it doesn't have to be if you can prioritise.

As for the caffeine and smoking; you're doing so well! Pregnancy is such a stressful time, so the extra stress you're going through trying to cut down these things must be so hard. You should be so proud of yourself for making this effort for your child. You should just stop and think at the end of the day how many cigarettes you've given up over the course of your pregnancy. I don't think I'd be able to do the same in your shoes.

Hang in there and soon enough you'll see how your hard work has really paid off Also, if you're ever in Adelaide, send me a pm and I can palm off a few boxes of clothes to you and a second hand pram if you want it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no real advice, just wanted to come and give you some
    and congratulations on cutting down on the cigarettes, you may not be at zero yet, but you're on your way which is the important thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about, instead of trying to get through the day on as little ciggies as possible, you plan your day and ciggie breaks?

So one week you plan for 6 a day, then the second week you plan for 5, etc etc.

So you know how long you need to wait til you next smoke and don't feel you are failing yourself.

Once you have a plan you have alot more control!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

laurea  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Arusaamatus: thank you so much for your lovely words! I've been smoking less and less each day which has been really good! though yesterday I slipped and smoked a bit more so I ended up handing my cigarrettes to my hubby this morning. Its going to be tough but I need to get rid of this addiction and I'm trying so hard to do so.

sjay: thanks so much

MsImpatient: Thats a great idea! yesterday I was slipping back and smoking more, so today I took 2 cigarrettes, gave the rest to my hubby and he took them to his work. I think I can do this.. I know I can, I just need the temptation away from me at the beginning. Its to easy to light up when you have them just sitting there on the table and you are home alone all day.

I wish I felt sick just so that I wouldn't want to smoke or that I would be like those moms 2 be that can give up the minute they know they are expecting. Its so hard to quit smoking while pregnant.. so damn hard... you feel bad about it all day and you worry constantly about the harm you are doing yet you still light up, its distressing.. I hate it.
    I think I'm on my way to quitting for good, at least I'm extremely proud to go from 20 + cigarrettes (before finding out) to less than 10 and now I'm working on having just 4. Next week I'll aim for 2 and hopefully after that week I'll be a non-smoker.

And its also such a big taboo in society to even admit you are smoking and trying to quit, everyone expects you to quit cold turkey because if you don't you are this horrible mother to be...

thanks for all the support