+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 26 weeks & anxious about another prem birth!!

Hi guys,

I am 26 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy at the moment. DD was born at 33 weeks 6 yrs ago - she is healthy and thriving these days, the tallest in her class and you would never pick it!

At 33 weeks gestation, I was young and didn't really take in the what was happening very well.. I hadn't researched early labor so didn't understand all that it entails and when the midwife told me I was going to give birth within a number of hours/days I was excited when I should have been concerned and worried... I didn't fully comprehend that she would be sick and need hospital care the way she did.

She was held up when I had her so I could see her quickly, before she was whisked away to the neonatal ICU, where she was put on oxygen, drips, monitors and had a feeding tube.

It wasn't until I saw her here where it kind of dawned on me that I couldn't hold her like new mums should hold their new babes.

She came home at 4 weeks old and I found it increasingly hard to bond with her and developed PND.

Though this time around I feel more in control, as I understand what having a prem means - I feel more prepared and have already packed hospital bags etc just in case... and not to mention poor DH is going a little insane from my organisation lol...

I find my anxiety levels are now increasing as the thought of 33 weeks approaching.

Now I know the liklihood of having another prem is not as great as it has been 6 years since DD was born, but with more of an increase in weight gain this time round, SPD (where the pelvis begins to separate a bit sooner than normal and causes pain - also because my pelvis is misaligned..)....

I am really starting to freak out about this bub and am hoping like hell I can have him stay put another 10 weeks at the least so I know he will be healthier when born.

I may have him at 40 weeks.. maybe even 42... but I still can't shake the thought of having to see another baby of mine in a humidicrib like that and wait for a few days before holding him and feeding him....

I just long for a normal birth where I can breastfeed and snuggle with him on my chest like other mums do... and bond!

Am I over analysing all of this? Is it normal to feel this anxiety built around past labors when a prem was involved?

Would love to talk to other mum's who may feel the same way about this.. Just to get some peace of mind that I am not going slightly crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi just wanted to share my story with you might help you feel less anxious.
    My first dd was also born at 33 weeks no explanation why, she is now 17 an about to start uni when I was pregnant with my 2nd I had fears that I would go early again but as it turned out he was 2 days over his due date.
    My next pregnancy was twins who were born at 38 weeks, that's pretty good for twins.
    My last baby was born on his due date.
    So you can see from my kids that every pregnancy is different just like the little people that we bring into this world.
    try not to stress an enjoy your pregnancy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to madjedjjlill For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you soo much