+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What foods should I be avoiding?

Hi

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 4 1/2 month old DS and normally have no dramas. The last couple of nights I have been having a real fight with him to feed and get drowsy like normal and therefore have had a screaming bub for 3 hours. I mean constant scream to the point I was going to take him to hospital to see if they could help (he finally calmed down and went to sleep)

Just wondering if maybe I have eaten something that is really upsetting his belly or if it might be some anti depressents my gp has put me on for PND. She told me that they were safe and wont affect DS but he hasnt been the same.

He has also been really sleepy during the day which is not like him. I might be worrying over nothing but if anyone could give me some help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you think bub is getting enough milk at that last feed? I know my DS gets very fussy at the breast if he's sucking and not getting anything. It would also make him hard to get to sleep if he's still hungry.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't think you were allowed to take anti depressants and breastfeed? But I'm not a doctor so if your doctor says it's okay then it must be but maybe bub just needs to get used to them? I don't know. Defiantly worth talking to your doc about it anyway.

MSG used to always upset DDs belly.

He could be having a growth spurt aswell or possibly an ear infection? That could also make sucking, feeding and sleeping difficult.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't think you were allowed to take anti depressants and breastfeed? But I'm not a doctor so if your doctor says it's okay then it must be but maybe bub just needs to get used to them? I don't know. Defiantly worth talking to your doc about it anyway.

He could be having a growth spurt aswell or possibly an ear infection? That could also make sucking, feeding and sleeping difficult..

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^^ You can definitely take certain anti-depressants while breastfeeding, and many women do in order to treat PND. There are particular types which have very minimal transfer rate, such as Zoloft.

OP - is it possible that he is having a wonder week or growth spurt? Sometimes babies will sleep fine and then suddenly experience a week of fussiness etc. Or perhaps he has some toothy pegs coming through.

If it seems like he is in pain then definitely take him to the GP to get checked out.

In regards to your diet, different babies can react to different foods, so the best way of telling if it's something you are eating is by doing an elimination diet. However I wouldn't commence it personally if it's just fussiness that's the problem - are his poos normally?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-02-2012),MuminMind  (12-02-2012)

3'llhavetodo is offline Before we as mothers can look after our loved ones we must first look after ourselves
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post

He could be having a growth spurt aswell or possibly an ear infection? That could also make sucking, feeding and sleeping difficult..
    I took a very low dose of Zoloft the entire time I BFed DS#2 and he is about the happiest healthiest 2 yr old I've ever had anything to do with.

OP: Does this only seem to happen at night??? What you are discribing reminds me of when DS1 was a baby, I'd feed him then 5 mins later he'd be screaming like he was hungry, even though I'd just given him a huge feed. No-one told me that babies at night often cluster feed, in order to build the milk supply for the next day.

Just something to think about.

Hope something works.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3'llhavetodo For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with Witwicky, you CAN take antidepressants while breastfeeding, I haven't personally but I have several friends who did on the advice of their GPs. Many drugs have been categorised as 'safe' to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding and OP I'm quite sure your GP has put you on one of those. None of us 'want' to take meds while BF or PG but sometimes its the necessary thing to do, and as Witwicky said, there are minimal transfer rates. You can also time your doses so that Bub gets his main feeds while the dose in your blood****** is at its lowest.

If you have concerns, you should talk to your GP and take their advice over anyone on here. And certainly don't stop taking your meds just because someone on here has sown doubt in your mind (cos quite frankly the suggestion was irresponsible and potentially dangerous!)

As for your Bub, there are a heap of things that could be upsetting him besides the antidepressents. He might be sleepy during the day cos of the disturbed nights. Why the disturbed nights, I can't say, he could be starting to teethe, or have a bug. Check with the GP if it continues, hope you are both feeling better today

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The girls above have given great advice. I also just want to let you know I am still breastfeeding my 11 month old and have been on Zoloft for PND since he was a few months old. I am a nurse and did a lot of research before I started taking antidepressants. If you have any concerns give the women's or children's hospital pharmacy a call and they can put your mind at ease.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mummy2aandh For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (12-02-2012),MuminMind  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, there are very few drugs that are incompatible with breastfeeding. Usually less than 1% is passed on. Secondly, it's probably nothing related to food at all. Women just seem to blame their breasts for everything and anything. It could be a bug, a growth spurt, a developmental leap, or something else unrelated to food.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-02-2012),MuminMind  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In relation to foods, not drugs, some things that in my student midwife experience that we tell ppl to avoid is: onion, peas, strawberry, cabbage, apple juice, too much citrus, caffeine. Obviously u can and will prob eat lots of these but sometimes excess can cause bubs a sore tum. Especially the apple juice