+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone had external cephalic version (ECV) to turn bubs?

Hi ladies

We had our 37 week check-up yesterday for our second bubs and he/she is breech at this point. We discussed our options with the Ob and he suggested that we could try ECV to turn bubs before he/she is due. So I'm just wondering if anyone here has had it done and how they found it? Was it successful? Look forward to hearing any stories.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I went in to have it done as I did not want a c-section or to birth a breech baby. I didn't end up needing it as he turned anyway.

My friend had one done with no success.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was told I had low amniotic fluid, so that made the chances of success low, but if there was a successful turning then the chances of a spontaneous reversal were also very low.

When I went in for the attempted turning, they put me on ventalin to relax my muscles, then the doctor proceeded to attempt to turn my bub. Unfortunately, the doctor had long fingernails and it was so difficult to relax with those long fingernails digging into me.

The doctor gave up way to early in my opinion, and I didn't feel that I had been given the opportunity to properly relax and give it a reasonable chance. IIRC, only three physical attempts were made, and in quick succession. I wanted five minutes to centre myself and then try again, but the doctor refused.

--------------------

Since being on this website, I have encountered several references to a spinning babies website, that apparently suggests positions the mother can put her body in to encourage the baby to turn naturally. It might be worth looking into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know my mum had it done successfully with me! That was 23 years ago n I have no details (what good am I?) but it can work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it with my first at 37 weeks and it was successful. I tried acupuncture too without success. There is also some techniques on spinning babies website, and some chiropractors have good success. I would book in then tried the other things in the interim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had it with my first and it was successful. Not sure how long #1 was breech for as it was only picked up when I went for a routine scan, at 35 weeks as I had GDM. It's not painful but not particularly pleasant either. They give you a muscle relaxant first. I had 2 female OB's try first but they weren't strong enough so they went and got a male one who managed to turn her. I was convinced she'd spun back but it was a success and I went on to have a normal birth. And guess what, I'm 32 weeks and this one is breech too at the moment! Have to go back see my OB in 3 weeks so hope he'll turn in the meantime Good luck if you decide to give it a go. I was willing to do anything to prevent a CS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one done at 37 weeks. It was successful but extremely painful. It was more painful than labour. I was admitted to hospital for the procedure. It was such a tuff job the Ob was dripping in sweat. I felt sore and bruised for days. I went into labour 4 days later but unfortunately after 24 hours of labour I had an emergency cesarean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going to be offered this as baby is breech but I am going to refuse and ask for a c section. Less trauma and I don't want the baby to turn and I find I can't birth her anyway and end up with an emergency caesarean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone and for sharing your experiences. We are booked in for the ECV tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for telling me about the spinning babies website too. We're trying that also

Good luck with bubs no. 2 Bellaleggos and I hope he turns on his own for you soon

Thanks again everyone - your input is much appreciated