Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A question to those that approve of this father's actions...

A married couple have a fight. The woman then gets on FB/a forum/other social network and calls him a jerk and has a vent about him. He then gets a gun and shoots up her computer for disrespecting him.

Would this still be ok?
    Domestic violence? Same reason you can smack your kid but not your wife? Don't know, none are ok just trying to answer the question?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think he's a nutter

Effectively, this could have been any one of us, as we have all at one time or another used this forum or other social media to have a whinge about another.

Should we have our laptops shot??

I am really surprised anyone thinks this is an appropriate form of punishment I once snapped my teenager's sim card in half after he racked up a $1300 mobile bill and THAT made me feel like crap

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-02-2012),MissMuppet  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A question to those that approve of this father's actions...

A married couple have a fight. The woman then gets on FB/a forum/other social network and calls him a jerk and has a vent about him. He then gets a gun and shoots up her computer for disrespecting him.

Would this still be ok?
    I don't really have thoughts either way - I mean, I think "fair enough," that he was at the end of his tether and was trying to do something to bring change to his daughter's behaviour... I don't have a teenager, and I don't know wtf I'd do if my teen was spending her time whinging about all the things she has to do when I've spent my time making sure she was fed, housed, etc etc... it would make me furious, I'm pretty sure...

BUT...

While I can see the point you're trying to make, I think of it like that smacking thing people say, "Would it be okay if a husband smacked his wife?" etc. No, because it's not a husband's place to discipline his wife. Same with this really - he could have simply taken away the laptop which I'm sure a lot of people would be okay with (who are not okay with destroying it)... but a husband has no right to do that to his wife either. It's a different kind of relationship.

I'd think DP was a right pr*ck if he decided he could "ground" me and ban me from watching TV and make me go to bed early. All of these things I can do with DD though, quite rightly IMO, as her mother and as it's my duty to discipline her. We have a different kind of relationship than a married couple do... husband and wife and father and daughter are different relationships, and can't really be compared IMO.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-02-2012),share a book  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    Seriously? He threw a bigger tantrum than his child, in a fashion as public as his child's. He didn't want to discipline her - he wanted to humiliate her. He wanted to make her feel like a piece of **** that he had to scrape of his shoe.

I have no idea whether she's a spoiled brat, has no boundaries, or what...but I have no doubt about where she learned how to throw her tantrums - and in what format - from. This video makes it plain as day.

This bloke is expecting a teenager to be more mature than he had the capacity to be. So she wrote a rant about her parents of FB? He hacked her FB account, stole her post, aired it in public, uploaded it to YouTube, and destroyed her property - and is going to punish her for the 'privilege'. *I* was intimidated at the end of that video - can you imagine how a 15 year old girl who has to go on living with him would feel?

Honestly, I'm disgusting and totally appalled...I can't believe anybody would think that this was in any way good parenting, appropriate behaviour, or going to do anything except terrorise a child who has obviously been stripped of her voice and her right to air her grievances.
    Absolutely agree, if my child went on the internet and had a whinge, so be it, i'd probably confront them and understand where they are coming from, then i'd probably use it as lesson to teach my kid about appreciating their things, i'd probably take them where other kids are less fortunate or something. I really don't understand the whole hypocritical parenting, i hate the whole, i'm the parent and i said so type attitude. I wonder why this man is so upset at his kid, when at the end of the day, he raised this child, if his kid is so disrespectful and petulant, where do you think she learned it from? Kids don't turn into teenagers overnight, it's the 15+ years of parenting that brought them there, so if there's a problem with the kid, dare say there was something lacking in their parenting of them. If my child did something like this, i'd be looking at my behaviour and parenting methods and question myself why they turned out like that, and i'd try my best to change my behaviour and model what's acceptable and what's not.

Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    And I'd just like to point out two further bad examples he set, smoking and littering
    That annoyed me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    There was a thread on this yesterday. This guy is a douche. So what's next? A teen *****es about her parents in the phone, do we shoot the phone? Honestly who cares about a whinging teenager's FB rant? That's what teens do, they b!tch about their parents. He's a creep.
    Yep, couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Teenagers haven't changed, technology has. What teenager hasn't had a whinge about their parents or doing chores to their friends on the phone or at school. I specifically remembering not being allowed to go to a movie marathon unless I cleaned my room and telling my friends at school how ****ed off I was at my dad for not letting me go.

Now with Facebook the message is the same but the delivery is different. This is a new technology.

Parents also need to take responsibility for this new generation of disrespectful kids. Nothing annoys me more then hearing about how awful a generation is from the generation that raised them! If she is such an awful disrespectful person well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Pretty much sums up my opinions on this too, well said

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony here?

"My teenage daughter did the wrong thing by using social networking to defame our family, so to teach her that that is not what I want her to do, I will use social networking to shame her."

Parenting: you're doing it wrong.
    Agreed!
    Last edited by V8; 11-02-2012 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I thought it was brilliant. He was not yelling, he was calm and I highly doubt she was scared of the gun, he seems to live in the country and she has prob been raised around guns a .45 does not make a loud noise and she is almost an adult.
    So.....Therefore she is still a child!?!?!
    You don't have to have a loud gun and a loud voice to be an intimidating, aggressive, confronting, inappropriate, immature and WRONG.
    There was nothing brilliant about it.
    Wish yesterday's post wasn't closed and I think made quite a valid point which I hope you took into consideration.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (11-02-2012),elleandsam  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why does everyone who has an opinion that's in the minority get attacked???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    Why does everyone who has an opinion that's in the minority get attacked???
    I think people just feel very strongly about parenting that doesn't "feel"
    right to them.
    Last edited by Veve; 12-02-2012 at 23:16. Reason: reference to specific bubhubber

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-02-2012),chameleon  (11-02-2012),elleandsam  (12-02-2012),rainbow road  (11-02-2012),Shoopuf  (12-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there is ever a good reason to pull out a gun. I also don't believe there is ever a reason to destroy property. It's wasteful. It shows a lack of respect towards his daughter (who may or may not have deserved it), it shows a lack of respect towards property, it shows a lack of respect towards the environment. It shows that he has no issue pulling out a gun. The gun part I find disturbing. Just because you are allowed to have one over thete, doesn't mean you have to. And owning one doesn't mean you have to use it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently the dad has done an update in response to all the attention...

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/main...rticle=9744152

I'm off to watch it now.

Actually, it's a written response from him.

There's a link to his open facebook page as well on the link to the site above.

He actually comes across as a pretty decent dad. Unconventional for sure, but decent.
    Last edited by kalgirl; 11-02-2012 at 22:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks for the link kalgirl!

It's interesting to read, and he doesn't come across as some horrible jerk parent. He comes across as a parent doing what he thought was best and most effective. Whether it works or has a long-term impact on his daughter... well, time will tell I suppose. None of us can sit here and say we know if it'll do her any good or any harm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (11-02-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast