Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Missemzy;6372469

Teenagers these days are getting more distrespectful and out of control. So this is a perfectly reasonable way to teach his daughter a lesson since this is the second time she disrespected them on a public forum..[/QUOTE]

Teenagers haven't changed, technology has. What teenager hasn't had a whinge about their parents or doing chores to their friends on the phone or at school. I specifically remembering not being allowed to go to a movie marathon unless I cleaned my room and telling my friends at school how ****ed off I was at my dad for not letting me go.

Now with Facebook the message is the same but the delivery is different. This is a new technology.

Parents also need to take responsibility for this new generation of disrespectful kids. Nothing annoys me more then hearing about how awful a generation is from the generation that raised them! If she is such an awful disrespectful person well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (11-02-2012),Shoopuf  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Are you serious? You think this man will shoot someone for staying to late?
    Well he shot a laptop because he didn't like what he read on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does anyone else see the irony here?

"My teenage daughter did the wrong thing by using social networking to defame our family, so to teach her that that is not what I want her to do, I will use social networking to shame her."

Parenting: you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 11-02-2012 at 15:55.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (11-02-2012),Californication  (12-02-2012),chameleon  (11-02-2012),Daydream Believer  (11-02-2012),elleandsam  (11-02-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (10-08-2012),NancyBlackett  (11-02-2012),share a book  (11-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-02-2012),Tam-I-Am  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I doubt they use the gun in their parenting before this lol My kids know how to use a gun and they also know never ever touch one without an adult
    Im sorry but I also know how to use a gun and have used both rifles and handguns multiple times and there is no way I would ever show a child a gun or let them handle one. Archery and laser tag are much more appropriate for children. I just can't see any reason to have a gun in the home or around kids.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IMO the child's facebook status was completely inappropriate and disprespectful. It is not OK to slander your parents on facebook, and it is not OK for a 15 year old to be doing things behind her parents' backs on the internet.

I think the public humiliation was a bit OTT, and shooting the laptop wasn't needed, though there is a gun culture in the USA that we can't really understand. He indicated that she has done something like this before, so I think losing the laptop permanently is fair. I would probably have only confiscated and taken her phone or other interent access as well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-02-2012),Niki24  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Losing it permanently is ENTIRELY different to shooting it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Daydream Believer  (11-02-2012),elleandsam  (11-02-2012),share a book  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think fair enough.

Not many of us on BH have parenting teenagers... god help us when we do. Until that time, I don't think we really have much right in saying what's the right/wrong way to deal with an entitled teenager who thinks the world owes them, and who isn't responding to the more "traditional" teenage punishments like groundings (as he said he's done previously for a similar offence).

I wouldn't shoot a laptop - but I'd say he was at the end of his tether, and it's about the only way the message was going to get through. Saying, "blah blah, I'm really disappointed," seems to have done squat so far... so maybe a new approach might work.

As for the public aspect of it... meh. He didn't intend for it to go viral. He posted it to her wall. That's it. He can't be blamed for someone else copying it elsewhere online for all of us to see...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-02-2012),Gruffalo  (11-02-2012),Lovemyfam  (11-02-2012),Misheycat  (11-02-2012),Niki24  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think fair enough.

Not many of us on BH have parenting teenagers... god help us when we do. Until that time, I don't think we really have much right in saying what's the right/wrong way to deal with an entitled teenager who thinks the world owes them, and who isn't responding to the more "traditional" teenage punishments like groundings (as he said he's done previously for a similar offence).

I wouldn't shoot a laptop - but I'd say he was at the end of his tether, and it's about the only way the message was going to get through. Saying, "blah blah, I'm really disappointed," seems to have done squat so far... so maybe a new approach might work.

As for the public aspect of it... meh. He didn't intend for it to go viral. He posted it to her wall. That's it. He can't be blamed for someone else copying it elsewhere online for all of us to see...
    I take away my 16 year olds phone sometimes it works sometimes she is like "meh" if I were to shoot it she would prob die lol bet she would behave better the next time she got a phone teens can be hard, I have 2 and a preteen boy sometimes the nicey nice talking does not work on them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    america's culture when it comes to guns is completely different to ours.
    and while i personally would never do what he did, i do understand he was at his wits end and used it as a shock tactic.
    he did not abuse his daughter, merely destroyed a piece of property to prove a point in my opinion.
    Americans are disgusted by his behaviour too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not that I think she shouldn't have been punished ... Or that I think 'nicey nice' talk is effective, even.

I just believe in being respectful in general. Even when someone has been disrespectful to me. And particularly when I am trying to stop someone from being disrespectful.

I guess I just don't buy into the "two wrongs make a right" line of thinking, that's all.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Daydream Believer  (11-02-2012),Tam-I-Am  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast