Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I think shooting it was a bit over the top he should have donated it.

But she lied, was swearing, made her parents out to be slave drivers when her chores amounted to about 20min a day. And basically was beyond disrespectful.

She needed a reality check.
    Now that I'm over the initial giggle I got out of the lap top shooting - donating it to charity would have been far far better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought it was good. She has obviously publicly defamed them before, and he points out that the woman who comes to clean, that she called the cleaning lady, does it to say thanks for what they do for her, so I would guess he was also defending her. Also from what he said, she said some pretty nasty stuff about her mother.

I think he showed her how it felt, and there is a follow up also, he gave her the chance to respond if she liked. I think good on him

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shockinamillion For This Useful Post:

Niki24  (13-02-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Caviar - are you seriously defending this guys abusive parenting? Using intimidation and violence as parenting methods is not something to be applauded, it's abuse. Emotional and verbal abuse.

And it's gone viral!

What happens to this girl when she's 25 going for her dream job and her pitentional employer googles her name and this comes up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-02-2012),Guest1234  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shockinamillion View Post
    I thought it was good. She has obviously publicly defamed them before, and he points out that the woman who comes to clean, that she called the cleaning lady, does it to say thanks for what they do for her, so I would guess he was also defending her. Also from what he said, she said some pretty nasty stuff about her mother.

I think he showed her how it felt, and there is a follow up also, he gave her the chance to respond if she liked. I think good on him
    Why not be adult about it and give her the lecture to her face not on Facebook, have her deactivate her account in front of him, take away the laptop and then give her chores to make up for it or give her the chance to earn it back?

I was a brat at times but my parents never took a hand gun to any of my possessions.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I'd prefer my children know the reason for why it is that they're behaving in a particular way - ie WHY they should behave that way - rather than just doing it because they're scared of the abuse they'll receive if they don't play by the rules. Children and adolescents who obey rules because they're scared of the consequences break the rules as soon as they're not being watched (as proven by this girl's actions). Children who are aware of right and wrong and behave accordingly because they don't want to do the wrong thing may very well still break the rules - but at least they'll know why it's wrong.

Punishing somebody for being immature by being immature is just...ridiculous. Sort of like hitting a child for hitting another child. Or biting a child for biting you. It teaches nothing except for that the person who is biggest/strongest/most powerful is allowed to behave in the ways that are banned to the child.

I don't see the behaviour of the teenager as having been in any way near (let alone worse) than the behaviour of her father. Sure, if he'd wanted to let her know how her words had impacted him, the step-mother, mother, and woman who helps out with the cleaning, and take away her access to FB - or monitor it more closely - I wouldn't have a problem with that. That would be appropriate boundary setting.

But throwing an adult-sized tantrum (which is definitely NOT age or developmentally appropriate) in response to his daughter's tantrum (which is well within the norms for both her age and developmental level) and destroy property that he had given to her for her usage (regardless of whether she legally owned it or not) is just atrocious behaviour which will teach her nothing but to be afraid of speaking out against anything that she finds unjust - lest she find herself at the mercy of another abusive and violent attack from her father again.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (11-02-2012),CluckySC  (11-02-2012),elleandsam  (11-02-2012),MissMuppet  (11-02-2012),RunningWithScissors  (11-02-2012),Shoopuf  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    america's culture when it comes to guns is completely different to ours.
    and while i personally would never do what he did, i do understand he was at his wits end and used it as a shock tactic.
    he did not abuse his daughter, merely destroyed a piece of property to prove a point in my opinion.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Niki24  (13-02-2012),shockinamillion  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    So she posted something on Facebook that he thought was disrespectful so he teaches her to be respectful by publicly shaming her and then destroying her property?
    I replied to the other thread on this, and yeah I thought this was a pretty big irony too. So she's a mouthy 15 yo with attitude, what teen isn't? confront her face to face, tell her why you are angry and remove her laptop privileges. Seems pretty obvious to me But going on this massive rant, making a fool out of her (and himself) then shooting her laptop up? crazy. The kicker was he was saying she had to pay him $130 for upgrades. Dude you decided to shoot it up He seems unhinged to me, I'd be scared senseless to go home if I were her.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (11-02-2012),MissMuppet  (11-02-2012),Shoopuf  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Was there a need to quote my opinion, really.

Quite frankly, it looks like he did that the first time round, resulting in grounding, she obviouly learnt nothing.

Next time don't bother quoting, the title of this thread is a WDYT, not a WDYT and attack everyone elses opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    america's culture when it comes to guns is completely different to ours.
    and while i personally would never do what he did, i do understand he was at his wits end and used it as a shock tactic.
    he did not abuse his daughter, merely destroyed a piece of property to prove a point in my opinion.
    He publicly shamed her, and then in an act of violence destroyed a piece of property with a lethal weapon in order to intimidate her, emotional abuse. And if that's what he's like in public there's no telling what he does or says behind closed doors.

Lots of parents are at their wits end and don't pull guns, and I've seen lots of Americans who are equally outraged by this fool's actions. At your wits end then act like a parent. You can't expect your child to behave in a mature and responsible fashion if you fail to do so yourself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Tam-I-Am  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shockinamillion View Post
    Was there a need to quote my opinion, really.

Next time don't bother quoting, the title of this thread is a WDYT, not a WDYT and attack everyone elses opinion
    Sorry if you read it that way I was just continuing an on going discussion that I felt was interesting not attacking. There's also no need for the sarcasm at the end. I quoted you because that's what I was responding to no need to get narky.