Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow that's scary the police actually condoned his behaviour. Clearly CP is a lot more thorough here as well. I don't think he would have lost his kids here but more would have happened than a tokenistic walk thru.

Thank god I live in Australia. It's insane over there. As for his daughter not being effected, she's hardly going to admit that is she? I had a crazy parent like her, one that went OTT all the time and I was scared sh*tless. I would never had stood up to her and told her the effect it was having on me, much less CP.
    Quite true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The man is a narcissist and a publicity wh0re, when he started getting all those reactions on his youtube video he posted a link to his personal facebook page to promote his businesses and book, he is loving it. He just keeps writing his drivel to keep everyone interested, if he really wanted privacy he would shut the f up. He is giving no thought to his daughter's well being at all.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

DQ  (12-02-2012),Jakois  (12-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just can't understand what people find funny about this gun toting hick.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (13-02-2012),DQ  (12-02-2012),Jakois  (12-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-02-2012),Witwicky  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I just can't understand what people find funny about this gun toting hick.
    Well gosh dang it Alexander Beetle, you just gotta go getcha yaself a sense of humour! ; p

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-02-2012),share a book  (12-02-2012)

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A question to those that approve of this father's actions...

A married couple have a fight. The woman then gets on FB/a forum/other social network and calls him a jerk and has a vent about him. He then gets a gun and shoots up her computer for disrespecting him.

Would this still be ok?
    No. Because the wife is an adult and her husband has no authority over her.

A teenager's brain is not fully developed to the point that they are able to make fully rational decisions. This is why they are not allowed to drink, buy houses, get married etc. etc. It is a parent's responsibility to guide and discipline their child so they make good choices. It is perfectly acceptable for a parent to expect that their teenager will respect them. Disrespect needs to be dealt with. I wouldn't shoot a laptop, but I'd have no hesitation in throwing it in the bin.

Comparing a husband/wife to a parent/child is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    No. Because the wife is an adult and her husband has no authority over her.

A teenager's brain is not fully developed to the point that they are able to make fully rational decisions. This is why they are not allowed to drink, buy houses, get married etc. etc. It is a parent's responsibility to guide and discipline their child so they make good choices. It is perfectly acceptable for a parent to expect that their teenager will respect them. Disrespect needs to be dealt with. I wouldn't shoot a laptop, but I'd have no hesitation in throwing it in the bin.

Comparing a husband/wife to a parent/child is ridiculous.
    Yeah, that's why you can hit them, because their brain isn't fully developed.

I don't have an issue with the removal of the laptop, more so the aggression with which it was done and that humiliation was used as a punishment.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yeah, that's why you can hit them, because their brain isn't fully developed.

I don't have an issue with the removal of the laptop, more so the aggression with which it was done and that humiliation was used as a punishment.

Who said anything about hitting?

I found this (from the Dad's blog) interesting:

I told her about the video response and about it going viral ... and asked if she wanted to see some of the comments people had made. After the first few hundred comments, she was astounded with the responses.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing.

I think kids are much stronger than some people give them credit for. Often on this forum people talk about how certain things will 'damage' a child, but I honestly think humans are not so easily ruined (for want of a better word). Not everything that happens to us in life is going to to awesome, but some bad things make us stronger (like discipline from a loving parent).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You didn't, but people use the same argument you used to justify his behaviour to justify hitting kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    You didn't, but people use the same argument you used to justify his behaviour to justify hitting kids.
    So what, all forms of punishment are equal to hitting? I'm not justifying hitting, I'm justifying a parent being an authority over a child, as opposed to the example I'd quoted, which suggested a father cannot discipline a child any more than a husband can discipline a wife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Thanks for the link kalgirl!

It's interesting to read, and he doesn't come across as some horrible jerk parent. He comes across as a parent doing what he thought was best and most effective. Whether it works or has a long-term impact on his daughter... well, time will tell I suppose. None of us can sit here and say we know if it'll do her any good or any harm.
    I do not believe he is horrible or a jerk. I do not disagree with him filming himself reading that letter, nor do I disagree with anything he said about the letter. His response was reasonable. It was reasonable up to the point where he put bullets through a computer. The moment he pulled out a gun it was apparent he had become irrational. The moment he put the first bullet through a laptop I realised he was no longer reasonable. The moment he put it online was when he totally crossed the line.