Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dad shoots up daughter's laptop after facebook rant - WDYT?

Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU
    Angela Mulholland, CTVNews.ca
    Date: Friday Feb. 10, 2012 2:50 PM ET
    A North Carolina father is being hailed as a parenting hero and derided as a bully, after trying to teach his daughter a lesson by shooting up her laptop.
    The daughter, it would seem, had written a long rant on Facebook about why she's sick of her parents and about how they nag her to do too many chores.
    Though she had attempted to filter her post so that her parents wouldn't see the rant, her dad found it anyway.
    The father, Tommy Jordan, reacted by posting a video this week on YouTube, entitled "Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen."
    The video description reads: "Maybe a few kids can take something away from this… If you're so disrespectful to your parents and yourself as to post this kind of thing on Facebook, you're deserving of some tough love. Today, my daughter is getting a dose of tough love."
    In the video, Jordan, cigarette in hand, sits in a chair in a field and says the recording is dedicated to his daughter, Hannah, and "more importantly, for all her friends on Facebook who thought that her little rebellious post was cute. And for all you parents out there who think your kids don't post bad things on Facebook."
    He then offers a seven-minute rant of his own, in which he reads out his daughter's Facebook tirade, and defends his parenting methods.
    "I don't know how to say how disappointed I am in you and how disrespectful you were to every single adult in your life," he tells the camera.
    "…So I'm going to put a stop to it. I'm going to put a stop to it right now."
    Jordan then stands up and points the camera at a computer lying in a patch of dirt.
    "That right there is your laptop," he says.
    "This right here is my .45," he says, moving a pistol in front of the camera. He then cocks the weapon and shoots nine shots into the laptop.
    He ends the video by telling his daughter that if she wants to buy a new laptop after she's finished being grounded – "whatever year that happens to be" -- she'll have to buy it herself.
    "Have a good day, y'all," he says in the signoff.
    The video was uploaded on Wednesday and has already had close to 2 million views.

As might be expected, the video has earned the whole gamut of responses, from those who applaud the father, to those who worry about his mental state, to those who wonder how the public takedown will mend their family relations.
    What do you think?

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TorontoNew...#ixzz1m1IAc361

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think some tough love is needed more these days, to many spoilt kids, so much more disrespect. I probably wouldn't have shot her laptop, that's a bit over the top, but the actual message he was trying to get across, I don't have a problem with.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (12-02-2012),kriista  (12-02-2012),laurea  (11-02-2012),Nmgb  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think he is a psycho and it's only a matter of time until she runs away.
    What she did wasn't that bad, talk about overreaction.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-02-2012),greenapppples  (16-02-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-02-2012),waterlily  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think he is a lunatic. I don't blame the child one bit for not listening to his boring lecture, I tuned out too. The shooting of the laptop is just idiotic, how about just confiscating it?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (11-02-2012),Etienne  (11-02-2012),Jakois  (11-02-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-02-2012),waterlily  (11-02-2012),Witwicky  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a brilliant example to set your teen! If something p1sses you off just enough, its totally acceptable to lose your sh1t and shoot it up!
    Confiscating it like a calm, rational person just won't cut it.

He was fed up, at the end of his tether..yeah ok, we have all been there, but really? Shooting a computer? I bet it made him feel macho, tough and all powerful over his child. What a hero.

If that's the sort of example he has set for her whole life is it any wonder she does what any normal teen does and whine about her "mean" parents?

Oh and because YOU paid for it makes it OK.

The man has issues.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (11-02-2012),Etienne  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think he's a dangerous man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

jenrose  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wrong on so many levels. I think it is so bad to destroy your child's things, especially through a violent act. Confiscate yes but what he did only teaches fear and hatred, it may mask itself as respect but not the same thing at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think shooting it was a bit over the top he should have donated it.

But she lied, was swearing, made her parents out to be slave drivers when her chores amounted to about 20min a day. And basically was beyond disrespectful.

She needed a reality check.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (11-02-2012),Niki24  (13-02-2012),Nmgb  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if the girl was failing to do her chores, then confiscating the laptop, or grounding her or withholding pocket money or whatever is appropriate.

In this video it seems that he is more concerned about her facebbok status than anything else. The fact that she had a whinge on facebook is irrelevant IMO. I don't think b*tching about your parents is a new thing nor is whinging about how tough life as a privileged teenager can be.

Shooting a laptop is totally crazy, unnecessary and dangerous.

It also feeds the idea that many Americans are extremely gun-happy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

Daydream Believer  (11-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-02-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    After seeing some of the rubbish that one young person in my life posts on facebook, publicly vilifying her brother and step sister and painting herself as righteous and a victim of their manipulations, also speaking about how hard done by she is with regard to her parents, not to mention all of the school yard crap targeted at specific kids, I can see why this father would be so frustrated. I detest anything involving guns

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast