+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I smoked for 10 years and was on the pill for most of that time. I didn't have any problems.

I was one Estelle (aka Dianne) and it really helped my skin. It didn't seem to cause weight gain for me. I think everyone reacts differently to different contraception. Implanon gave me terrible skin, I put on heaps of weight and got ovarian cysts from it-but other people have none of these things.

If your skin is bad, maybe you could get a facial and invest in some new products if you're concerned about various meds and side effects...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lock and Lu For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The pill most often recommended for acne, Yasmin (or the newer one Yaz) has been found to have an increased chance of clots over the other pills. Because of the type of progesterone. So combined with smoking it's even worse. I can't remember the stats but it's certainly not as rare as 1 in a million. I think NON smokers risk is about 3 in 10,000 from memory.

What about other acne treatments? Accutane is normally reserved for very severe cystic acne only due to its side effects. What about epiduo gel? Also low dose antibiotics can be very effective too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure that the combination of smoking and the pill increases the chance of stroke by a massive amount

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also forgot to mention that I found it easier to shed weight on Yasmin then when not on the pill. But Im pretty sure my hormones are stuffed so that probably why the pill helped me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Everything non-prescription topical (new, old products) - tried them.

Anyone know anything about Retin-A cream? I'm aware it requires a prescription.

I have read that it's only certain contraceptive pills that increase chances of stroke etc and unfortunately Yasmin/Diane-35/Estelle seems to be one of them. However, I've been reading there are types of pills that are very safe for smokers and can be used with creams and anti-biotics for acne

This acne has GOT to go. If this was just about vanity I would simply cover up but this is about my health now...it's inflamed, it's going to leave scarring everywhere at this rate, it's itchy - and honestly it's beginning to effect my mental health. Accutane is sounding like an absolute last resort but the days of "trying something new" from the stores or TV are well and truly over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was on the pill and a smoker. I stopped the pill though because it made me sick and used Nuvaring. Never had any issues. My MIL has been a smoker for who knows how long (20+ years I'd say) and has been on the pill for a long time. She's 47 and not had any problems.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have skin problems but refuse to go on the pill...there are alternatives and accutane is the last resort. My skin is far from perfect but it is better than what it was and sometimes it's really clear...I've been on antibiotics for 3 months now, GP said it could take about 6 months. Before the ab's I used a topical treatment that was script only. Now I'm on ab's only because I don't like the topical treatment she gave me (bleaches everything...pita) so when I need to go back I'm going to ask for my old, non bleaching topical treatment and see if I can get rid of it altogether with the two combined. My problem is purely hormonal so just trying to find the most effective treatment. Plus acne hurts, it's so much more than just covering it up.
    I can't take the pill, which was my GP's first suggestion. Go talk to your GP about it.

I know a lady who had a stroke when she was in her mid 20's...the doctors based it purely on her being a smoker and taking the pill. I wouldn't risk it.
    Last edited by Areca; 11-02-2012 at 19:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u tried rose hip oil? I know it's weird but I use it and my skin has cleared up. U just have to get pure rose hip, you can get it from the chemist. Its also great for dry skin isn't oily and soaks straight in. I don't have acne though so don't know if it would work. Bio oil is meant to be good aswell. Never used it for skin issues so don't know if it would work

I have always been a smoker and for the first 5 yrs was on the pill no issues. Now on depo no issues either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Areca - Thanks, yeah to be honest the more I read about Accutane and the more I read about the pill, the less I want to try it. Plus my gut instinct has ALWAYS told me to avoid the pill (I am extremely prone to Depression and very sensitive to side effects with all medicines).

Can you tell me the anti biotic you're on? is it specifically for acne?

Should I see my GP or go straight to a dermatologist? I've emailed a dermatologist (local) and he wrote back write away and said he'd bulk bill me. I know this is hormonal so would he be able to help do you think?

wantmore - I haven't tried rose hip oil by itself but it's been in many of the products I've used. I was told ages ago to avoid using any oil on the breakouts because it was encouraging more acne? I have no idea if that's true or not...no matter what I do or don't do I get more pimples by the day.

Penny - is the Nuvaring something you insert? I'm not able to have anything like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I don't want to scare you, but I took Yasmin & was also a smoker. I had a stroke at age 33. I was lucky enough to not have any serious lasting effects from the stroke. But very very scary.I don't smoke now & use condoms.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpkinears For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (12-02-2012)