+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do any smokers here take the contraceptive pill?

I'm almost 29, have 2 kids...and I'm considering starting the contraceptive pill.

I've never liked the idea of the pill (or anything hormone related) but I'm at my wits end. I had a cyst on my ovary in October (benign, resolved on it's own) however my skin (chin and jaw) has been horrible since then and seems to be getting worse. I have so many pimples and nothing I use helps at all.

I've always had problem skin but never like this. Nothing has ever really worked, Proactiv worked for years until the last few months.

I'm willing to try the pill as I've heard it helps clear this sort of hormonal acne but I'm a smoker (5-10 per day) and I've heard it's dangerous to take the pill while smoking?

Yes, yes I know I should give up but I am nowhere near ready to yet. So are there any smokers here that take the pill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I am a heavy smoker but the poll made me feel yuk I went on depo for awhile my skin was awesome now I am on the implanon and I haven't had a problem, so sick if people telling me to quit , I have to do it in my own time when I am ready . Good luck I think it is trial and error

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks

I've been looking at several contraceptive pill types online. As well as Accutane.

Accutane sounds...scary to say the least...however a lot of people say it completely cured their Acne. Not seeing that sort of praise about any of the contraceptive pills anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I was on Yasmin for almost 6 years.
    it was great no mood swings, no bloating, great skin.
    But reduced my sx drive and O where not as intense.

Only thing is its one of the pills with the greatest risk if you smoke. One in a million instead of one in 2 million of dropping dead.
    I hardly think its the pill that will get me in the end.

Really need to give this sh!t up... Again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I smoke and I have taken the pill, but the one usually diagnosed for PCOS (which mine was for) contain higher hormone doses etc and as a result I put on 30kg in 3 months!!!

Now days I'd prefer to cover up in foundation than risk putting any weight back on.

There are medications especially for acne though Pinky, speak to your doctor, they do come with their own risks, but extreme weight gain wasn't one of them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god...I could not handle weight gain. I'm half way to my goal weight and can't put on weight now, it'd be devastating.

The more I read about Accutane the more interested I am in it, AND the more terrified I am not if haha..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha that's why I thought I'd mention it. I probably didnt give it a chance to see if it helped with acne etc as I was so stressed about getting fatter and fatter AND I'd just got myself a hot younger bf at the time haha.

Hmm will have to research accutone and I'll be back

13. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh oh, that's the medication I tried for my acne!

NOOOOO!

Biggest thing, other than how dangerous it is if I was to fall pregnant was the avoiding sunlight. Again, the side effects and risks where not worth it so I chose to cover up rather than risk it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my husband had the worst acne ever when he was 17-18.. he has a bit of scarring from it, his face was awful.. anywho he took accutain (it used to be called roacutain) and while it cleared his face up, it was scary, the side effects were awful and he fell into a deep state of depression from the medication! it got to a dangerous stage and the dr took him off it...

just be careful and research

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-02-2012)