+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question MMR immunity

Just went for my preconception check (yay, so exciting!!!) all blood tests were normal except my rubella antibodies were on the lower side of normal. Dr recommended I get the Vaccination, then no trying for baby for 3 months. Anyone else had this? I know I can't get pregnant for 3 months but is it safe for pregnant people around me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you can pass it on as only a small dose is actually injected. I had low immunity after my Ds was born and only found out when starting to ttc again. My dr also told me I only needed to wait one month (new info out from the Australian immunization website). I got bloods done two months after to check levels again so it has ended up being more then 3 months anyway!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadaisy For This Useful Post:

Lil-JessM  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue with my rubella antibodies being on the low side. I didn't even think about other pg people but my dr said you will feel symptoms for up to 7 days and then it will go away (had a rash near my ankle for 2 days). I don't think there is any chance of external transmission of it though. Any pg people around you should have had the same check anyway and have immunity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HOMS For This Useful Post:

Lil-JessM  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point homs, thanks for that guys :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lil Jess. I'm an immunologist by trade. I also had to have both MMR and varicella vaccinations prior to conceiving as mine were both borderline. I got mine as I work with high risk blood samples etc.

The old guidelines from the 1990s say that a 3 month wait is required before TTC. However they did a medical study looking at about 800 women who received the vaccines early in their pregnancy when they didn't know they were pregnant. There were no cases of the live vaccine crossing the placenta and transmitting to the fetus. They then reduced the guidelines from 3 months to 1 month. Some doctors and midwifes will still tell you 3 months, but I conceived 6 weeks after the vaccination and I am not the least worried good luck with TTC.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolz83 For This Useful Post:

HOMS  (11-02-2012),MoonstoneMare  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found out I need mine too recently. Tbh I an scared of getting the chicken pox one as I've never had it lol. Will probably do so soon though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had low immunity with all my babies.

I'd only had an update 2 years or so before TTC but had low immunity when we fell. Had another shot after we lost that baby, and again had low immunity 4 months later when we fell again! Got another shot after DS was born, but I still have low immunity now, despite having yet another shot before TTCing this time round, but not much I can do about it.

Some people just don't hold it. Not saying you shouldn't have the shot, but be aware that a lot of people don't hold their immunity.