+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Unsure about communication with Kindy teacher

I'll start by saying I love my DDs Kindy teacher, and the teachers aid. They are lovely people who interact with the children beautifully.
    I'm just not sure about the communication between parents and teachers. Almost all other schools have a communication diary for parents and teachers to communicate. I have seen this work really well with great success. I was expecting this sort of communication with my daughters teacher and teachers aids.
    However it appears the school hasn't adopted this communication technique. I was asked to write my email address down for the teacher, so she could "keep us up to date with the happenings in the Kindy room" but I'm unsure if this is how the teacher will communicate with me? I doubt it, seemed more for a newsletter type thing.
    Anyway, DD has been there now for two half days, and two full days. Each time I have attempted to talk to either the teacher or the aid but they have appeared too busy, or a bit disinterested. Today I attempted to talk to the aid, and she walked off.
    I have no idea how DD is going in kindy, I don't know if she has friends, I don't know how she is going with the tasks, I don't even know how she is going with eating her lunch and using the toilet. Of course I ask her, but she either doesn't know or is very vague.
    I'm not sure if I am being a bit precious regarding this?

Also, last week when we picked DD up she had a necklace they made around her neck. What bothered me was the aid came over and took it off DD and have it to another girl, who already had a necklace. The aid said to my DD she would find her necklace, if not they will make a new one. DD was quite upset that she didn't have a necklace to take home and couldn't understand why they took her necklace away from her, and have it to someone who already had hers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd's Kindy seems the same. They say if there are issues theyll put a mark next to your child's name on the sign in sheet so u know to approach the teacher/aid to discuss. I had some queries anyway so stayed back to ask the teacher, hard to pin them down though as they r busy and every other parents seems to have as many questions!

I volunteered for a day at dd's Kindy too (can u do that?) and got a real insight into just how busy the day is. If there are specific concerns the teacher/aid make notes through the day, but otherwise I guess taking notes on everyone would mean more time spent away from the children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys have started kindy this year too! their school doesn't have communication books for Kindy.

The teacher sent a note home advising that she is happy to meet with parents after school and that we can make an appt to see her. This way she can schedule the interviews with those parents who want to see her.

Maybe send a note to school asking for an appt time so that you can discuss any concerns you may have,

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've waited until after school when all the kids have left, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I'll start by saying I love my DDs Kindy teacher, and the teachers aid. They are lovely people who interact with the children beautifully.
    I'm just not sure about the communication between parents and teachers. Almost all other schools have a communication diary for parents and teachers to communicate. I have seen this work really well with great success. I was expecting this sort of communication with my daughters teacher and teachers aids.
    However it appears the school hasn't adopted this communication technique. I was asked to write my email address down for the teacher, so she could "keep us up to date with the happenings in the Kindy room" but I'm unsure if this is how the teacher will communicate with me? I doubt it, seemed more for a newsletter type thing.
    Anyway, DD has been there now for two half days, and two full days. Each time I have attempted to talk to either the teacher or the aid but they have appeared too busy, or a bit disinterested. Today I attempted to talk to the aid, and she walked off.
    I have no idea how DD is going in kindy, I don't know if she has friends, I don't know how she is going with the tasks, I don't even know how she is going with eating her lunch and using the toilet. Of course I ask her, but she either doesn't know or is very vague.
    I'm not sure if I am being a bit precious regarding this?

Also, last week when we picked DD up she had a necklace they made around her neck. What bothered me was the aid came over and took it off DD and have it to another girl, who already had a necklace. The aid said to my DD she would find her necklace, if not they will make a new one. DD was quite upset that she didn't have a necklace to take home and couldn't understand why they took her necklace away from her, and have it to someone who already had hers?
    Ok well I know what he has eaten by looking in his lunch box, I'm guessing they don't throw leftovers out so that we can tell what they did and don't eat. I know C has one friend because when I drop him off they make a bee line for each other. R has been picking him up the past 2 days and he said that he didn't speak to anyone yesterday they just did a bit of a group thing where everyone was told not to bring peanut butter sandwiches and today the TA asked him to stay him to stay back as she wanted to tell him C had had a toileting accident. Re tasks I'm not really sure, I guess I'm not fussed lol and I have assumed that if there are any issues they will tell me? I asked about parent helpers and I got told that they don't do them until after week 4 to allow the kids to settle and to form relationships with the teachers. I guess I didn't expect them to do communication books? I've never been to a school based kindy that does them.

(for those reading along our kiddies go to the same school, different classes)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end, walk into the class and straight up to the teacher and ask her and dont leave until you have your questions answered. If the teachers aide looks like she will talk to you before you get to the teacher, say "hi just going to have a word with *teachers name*" and continue going up to the teacher. You have every right to want to speak to the teacher about your daughter. Be brave and just step forward.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (10-02-2012),headoverfeet  (10-02-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I guess I didn't expect them to do communication books? I've never been to a school based kindy that does them.
    DS last school did them in Kindy AND pre-primary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw R today I waved but I don't think he saw, was a bit late picking DD up so didn't stop to say hi.
    I dunno, I just feel a bit thrown in the deep end lol. I'm guessing with time it will all die down a bit once everyone is settled in. Teachers haven't communicated at all with us unless we have asked a question, and then its very brief and not an open communication. Today I asked how DD was interacting and the aid said she wouldn't talk to her while walking away from me, it just doesn't feel very comforting.
    I know what she eats, but today DD said she didn't eat her sandwich coz she couldn't open it (she usually has no issues) so it would have been nice to be able to talk to the teachers to see what the go is there, you know?
    Even in the mornings I can't seem to talk to them briefly enough to ask them to prompt her to go to the toilet. She has held on for the whole day and I just don't think that's healthy, but she is too shy to ask so unless she is approached, she will just hold on until she can't hold on anymore.

it's just so scary, sending your child to school and not being there. Think I'm finding it harder than she is lol. She loves school, so I guess that's reassuring?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If the teachers arent communicating, i would be scheduling an appointment once.kindy has finished because it doesnt seem right. I talk to either coops teacher aide or his actual teacher for a few mins either in the morning or afternoon about how emotional he is or how his day etc has been.

Just this morning as we rushed out of school yesterday the teacher ran up to me this morning to let me know another boy hit coop on the head with some blocks. She was worried as she didnt want me to think that is the norm and was worried about what coop possibly said even though he didnt say anything to me.

Talking to her each day has also helped clarify mixed up info from coop about things she has said that he took the wrong way so that way i can clear it up with coop as well.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bell this is under five education isn't it?

As an early childhood educator I feel a communication book is not unreasonable to be expected. We have one right next to the sign in roll. Parents mostly use to leave us notes like "r has medication today" "I'll be picking up e at 1:30" etc we leave notes too about lost property and we had slime today so sorry about the sleeves or bubble blowing today most swolled the paint don't be freaked about the blue poos

I'm open to all parents at the end or begging of the day especially during their first days and weeks. I expect questions like how was their day, how much did they eat, did they sleep, are they making friends etc