+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Could it be a period??

I've started bleeding today, with what seems like a period, but bubs is not even 4 weeks old yet!! And I'm exclusively breast feeding 2-3 hourly during the day and no more than 4 hourly overnight. I did not expect this at all and am quite confused and a little worried. I have not started and hormonal contraception as yet either. Was waiting for my 6 week checkup.

Not sure if it's related, but I've also been getting really bad headaches when I breastfeed, and had a constant migraine for 2 weeks straight after the birth. Doctor just seemed to think that the headaches are hormonal and wasn't too concerned.

Should I be worried?? When did others period return??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I had a period when my DS was about 5-6 weeks old but then nothing until just recently when my DS was 8 months old.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, just talk to the doctor at your 6 week check up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I got my period when DD was 6 weeks as well but nothing since and she 4 months now, I wouldn't be too concerned. The headaches I would probably be a bit worried about, if you had an epidural that's a concern, I would probably get a second opinion, the last thing you need is migraines when you're getting used to a newborn baby!! Big hugs hope they go away soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started bleeding when Ds was 7 weeks old, cramps etc just like a period.

Ds was exclusively breast fed but I was under alot of stress as he was pretty sick,

I bled for 2 days and then nothing.

My period ended up returning when Ds was 8 months old, he was still nursing 3 hourly but again I was under alot of stress.

It's been regular ever since and Ds is still breast fed

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    With ALL 5 of my bubs I got my period straight away, No break for me.......

I breastfed all my babies.

So yes it could be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They say 1/4 women exclusively breastfeeding have a 6th week bleed, and only 10% of them will have actually started their period again! Intrestingly that 1/4 will get their periods back sooner than the non 6th week bleed group when it does actually come back. Happened to me today and been googling so I thought I'd share!