+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquiLea View Post
    Dogue De Bordeaux Lover here :-)
    Me too! We are hoping to get a Cane Corso next year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoletta View Post
    Can I suggest a completely different breed? I am absolutely in love with Newfoundlands (and completely biased). They are so beautiful, and absolutely amazing with children. That's what Nana from Peter Pan is!
    Their size is intimidating to a lot of people though.
    Anyway, to answer your actual question...based on my limited knowledge of the two breeds you actually did ask about...I'd go with a German Shepherd. My god parents have had two, and my cousin currently has two, and they were/are all beautiful family dogs
    Exactly what I was thinking. Giant fluffy bear.

I'm looking at getting a Newfie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are so many gorgeous doggy breeds out there, so many are also great with kids!!

Yay DOGGIES!

lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol do many votes! Ultimately ANY dog is a brilliant family dog ON THE CONDITION that u put time n effort into training it... And involve it in ur life! Don't hav a dog just coz it's a dog n they'll let u know sumone is in ur yard....
    I have a husky x rotti, a German shep x Aussie cattle and a kelpie.
    All my dogs hav been thru more training than just puppy school n as far as kids r concerned... They can jump all over them n take food outta their mouths... But it's all about time n effort.

Best advice get a dog that chooses you! Each of ours choose us by coming up n cuddled into us n latched on... One even climbed in my handbag n just went to sleep in it!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Out of those 2 German Shepard. But different breed my vote would be a cavalier king Charles spaniel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mastiff owner and lover here! Any mastiff (bull, English or french (Bordeaux)). They are pretty lazy dogs majority of the time and don't require much training or exercise, just alot of food. My boy (avatar pic) is 55kg+ and amazing with kids. He has let all of my nieces and nephews climb all over him, pull his tail and put their little hands in his flappy cheeks without any fuss. The are very loyal, obedient and affectionate breeds. I have previously owned labs and rottweillers but I dont think I will ever have any other breed now I've had a mastiff.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 10-03-2012 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a Shar-pei owner and lover. Rolly dogs are awesome family dogs. Very protective of their families but love all kids really! They have their tails played with, skin pulled and my boy is sometimes used as a ladder for my DS to pull himself up on.
    But agree with other posts in saying any breed can be a great family dog with proper training and attention. We did puppy school as well as obedience and was the best thing!
    But if you're set on one of the above I'd go German shephards. Just see a reputable breeder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rhodesian ridgeback ... Brilliant with my 11 month old!! She's X great Dane so size could be an issue for some

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lab lover here, as seen in my avatar/profile photo. So loving and respond to training.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nomes83 For This Useful Post:

lones  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensha View Post
    Out of those 2 German Shepard. But different breed my vote would be a cavalier king Charles spaniel.
    This, out of the two I'd pick the German shepherd, but cavvies are my favorite family dog. They're so loving, gentle and patient.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (11-03-2012)