+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up with a long hair german shephard and she had the most beautiful temperament! If you are looking for a large breed that doesn't require much exercise though, get a Rhodesian Ridgeback!! They are so placid an lazy! We have 2 and both prefer to laze about all day and do next to nothing. They hardly malt where as German shepherds drop lots of long wirey hair.
    They are great with kids and will happily lay on the floor and play with them
    Try are on average 45-50kg where as a GS is around the 35-40kg mark.
    Ridgeys also have better hip scores then shepherds so less chance of hip dysplasia which is a terrible disease to have to watc a dog suffer with 😔
    Last edited by siege; 10-02-2012 at 20:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a big dog fan...... My suggestion though would be the mastiff breed. I have had 2 bull mastiffs and 1 English mastiff and while they are an ex-large dog found them to be very loving with children. My last one was an English mastiff and my nieces loved him to pieces. They can be a lazy breed if you allow them to be and George was always glad of the rest when the girls went home.

Unfortunately George was almost 12years old when my daughter was born and had a couple of medical issues and when she was 3months old I had to make the hardest decision to let him go to a better place. He was fabulous with my girl from the day we came home from the hospital. Whenever he came inside would search the house looking for her and used to sleep outside her bedroom door as he wasn't allowed in. If he was still here I have no doubt he would be sleeping on the end of her bed.

I love most big breeds but they all have their medical issues. Out of the two breeds you have put up my vote would be Shepard and little any big dog they need lots of training and lots of love invested to bring out the best in them. A registered breeder is always the best place to get your puppies. Yes they cost more but like anything you buy you do get what you pay for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't like dogs anymore. ....but....Lab like someone else on here suggested ..grew up with one sooo lovely !!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another Mastiff lover. So family friendly. Very lazy, so no jumping all over you (good idea when you have kids) and very fiercely protective over their family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I suggest a completely different breed? I am absolutely in love with Newfoundlands (and completely biased). They are so beautiful, and absolutely amazing with children. That's what Nana from Peter Pan is!
    Their size is intimidating to a lot of people though.
    Anyway, to answer your actual question...based on my limited knowledge of the two breeds you actually did ask about...I'd go with a German Shepherd. My god parents have had two, and my cousin currently has two, and they were/are all beautiful family dogs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Based on your choices, I'd go with the German shepherd.

I have 2 dogs, a pug and a malamute and they are both wonderful with the children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by quarkz View Post
    Pug!
    I second that! I love my puggies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I vote German shepherd, I'm a little bias though

Thanks
    Reviews