+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow this teacher is clearly on a power trip with the kids!!!! I am a qualified early childhood teacher and without knowing a little bit more I would say she is NOT following the national curriculum which is called Early Years Learning Framework!!! Your only communication with her should not be only negative!!! Has she asked you what you would like to see happen???
    I would maybe go and speak with the director of the centre if she is it then if it's connected to a council, other centres etc then I would go up the chain as this is not the way it should be handled!!!!
    Please PM me if you need any further info or would like to run something past me!! Goodluck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you SunnyFlower and OJ and Me... I really appreciate your perspective!

Kalgirl, the centre is stand alone but is across the road from a local primary school and so instead of offering their own OSHC program, the primary school and day care centre have collaborated to provide a program. I am not wedded to the idea of my child going to this particular primary school, I haven't actually made up my mind, but it was on the list of consideration.

I have arranged a parent/ teacher interview for Monday evening. I intend to go in there and try and sort this out. One last, big try can't hurt. I agree with OJ and Me, there really is no place for negativity here. Is it pretentious of me to go in there with a reward chart and a communication book and ask her to use this with my child? Perhaps if this woman focuses more on documenting the positives of my child, it will create a more positive environment and my child may... respect her more, or at least seem to?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waiting for Daisy,
    Yes she has asked me once, yesterday, what I 'thought' about it all. But, I am not an impulsive person, so I simply told her I needed more time to think about what she had said and take it all in.
    I would really like her to start focusing on my child's positives, her strengths and spend more time praising and less time punishing her. If she had done something BIG, like deliberately hurt another child, I concede that discipline methods need to be taken. But I am sorry, I don't find it appropriate for a child to miss out on an activity for being a kid and making simple mistakes.
    I don't know what you think about my idea of rewards chart and communication book?!? Perhaps your have a better idea? Or one that you have found works? Thanks so much for your advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rightio. At your meeting ask to take home a copy if the BM policy. Every strategy should be written down and it should go into specifics for rewards and B modification. You can request that an IBMP (individual behaviour management programme) be written up for your DD so that her negative behaviours can be targeted, monitored and assessed and importantly, how she is to be rewarded and encouraged to do the right thing.

Take in your reward chart to show them. It should be a simple task for them to whip their own up to reflect the centre's new behavioural expectations for your DD.

As you are attached to a primary school, if you are still not satisfied, make an appointment with the Principal or the deputy in charge of BM and again express your concerns. You're that rare species - an involved and questioning parent Particularly make sure that you receive a specific answer to the alternate activities your child is engaged in when she 'misses out'. If they're not academic or targeted at improving her behaviour, then simply state that it's not good enough. Really push for an IBMP. We involve the parents when designing ours, and the parents sign off on them. That way parents know exactly what is going to happen and the strategies can be used at home to provide consistency.

Sent magically from my iPhone using
    Internet trickery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn double posting iPhone!
    Last edited by kalgirl; 11-02-2012 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kalgirl...

I have downloaded IBMP off ed qld site. I will take that in with me too.

Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Thanks so much for your direction and advice! I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    Rightio. At your meeting ask to take home a copy if the BM policy. Every strategy should be written down and it should go into specifics for rewards and B modification. You can request that an IBMP (individual behaviour management programme) be written up for your DD so that her negative behaviours can be targeted, monitored and assessed and importantly, how she is to be rewarded and encouraged to do the right thing.

Take in your reward chart to show them. It should be a simple task for them to whip their own up to reflect the centre's new behavioural expectations for your DD.

As you are attached to a primary school, if you are still not satisfied, make an appointment with the Principal or the deputy in charge of BM and again express your concerns. You're that rare species - an involved and questioning parent Particularly make sure that you receive a specific answer to the alternate activities your child is engaged in when she 'misses out'. If they're not academic or targeted at improving her behaviour, then simply state that it's not good enough. Really push for an IBMP. We involve the parents when designing ours, and the parents sign off on them. That way parents know exactly what is going to happen and the strategies can be used at home to provide consistency.

Sent magically from my iPhone using
    Internet trickery
    Hi soulmama, I completely agree with kalgirl about the IBMP they are great and should be a collaboration between you and the centre!!

I agree with reward charts and often continue them with the parents as care should be an extension of what is done in care!!

That's great that you have a meeting with the teacher hopefully you get a lot out of it remember to be strong and to stick to your guns about what your after this type of behaviour from the teacher can have a lasting effect on your dd so something needs to happen!!!

Goodluck feel free to come back for advise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I went in there and basically got knocked back with the "I'm too busy to implement any of this" speech.

I am completely and untterly ENRAGED by this woman!

To make matters worse. When I discussed why my daughter was coming home with dirty knickers most days she said "Honey, I didn't spend 4 years at uni to wipe bums"...

Well why the beeping hell are you in a child care centre then!?

Beyond words right now.

And I am starting to think that maybe my child's behaviour is nowhere near as bad as she makes it out to be.

Thought I would share that with you lovely ladies who offered your advice.

Perhaps you have some more??

:'(

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Book an appointment to see the director / principal. That's just not on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thats terrible, who does this woman think she is? God id be so so upset. Good luck!