+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had the same issue with my ds's birthday party. We invited all 29 children from his Kinder and 3 days before the party I still hadn't heard from 12 parents! Such a huge difference as to whether those children were coming or not. I haven't looked at who came vs. who RSVPed, but I think the 12 who didn't RSVP didn't come. I thought it was cause his party was in the middle of Jan and the invites had to be given out in early December that it was a problem, but from your issues it seems that's not the case . So sorry you're struggling to work out your numbers. I was going to send an SMS to the parents who hadn't responded, but I couldn't find the list of the kinder parents contact details, so I just had to guess. We had heaps of stuff left over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    had the same thing happen to us for our DS's bday party (which is today). Invited 15kids. Invites when out 3wks before party, and 2.5weeks before rsvp date, and we still have not heard from 4 of them! We had to confirm numbers at the play cafe, so now if the kids we've confirmed to play cafe dont come we'll be having to pay full price for them $20 each, so that's $80 for nothing just cos of their rude parents!
    Not to mention i handmade the loot bags, and bought enough lollies for all the kids, for fear of having them arrive/leave with no loot bag. So it was my time and money wasted.
    I had toy'd with the idea that if these non-rsvp'd families arrived this arvo, i would turn them away and say "sorry, we didnt hear from you so we didnt allow for your child(ren) at this party". But my DP had begged me not to be rude-but i think it's more rude not ro rsvp!

These days common courtesys have disappeared unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If someone has taken the time to invite you somewhere you should have the decency to take a moment to RSVP, It is just plain rude if you don't !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock and Lu View Post
    It's funny that everyone here RSVP's given the number of people I know IRL who don't RSVP! It drives me mad but seems to be all too common. We also regularly have one or two people who say they're coming but don't show up. That annoys me more!
    Lol, out of the 40 odd adults invited on FB to DSs birthday, most of those who have RSVPd are hubbers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to come in here and say OF COURSE, I always RSVP. BUT, then I thought about it and realised I have always replied if I am going, or if it is a good friend, but just remembered I actually forgot to RSVP to two birthday parties of school friends last year Eek. They were the two kids I didn't know, and didn't know the parents, and just forgot all about it. So although I was planning on coming in here all high and mighty, I actually have to shamefully raise my hand and admit to being one of "those" rude and inconsiderate people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock and Lu View Post
    It's funny that everyone here RSVP's given the number of people I know IRL who don't RSVP! It drives me mad but seems to be all too common. We also regularly have one or two people who say they're coming but don't show up. That annoys me more!
    I think there are a few factors here.

One is, those who don't RSVP are doing the wrong thing, and thus feel less inclined to out themselves. (I felt bad when I wrote my response stating that I would RSVP if we were coming, usually a day late - but ask if it was still okay to come, but didn't think to RSVP if we couldn't make it.) A lot of other people wouldn't be so honest and would save face by simply not responding.

Also, those that dont RSVP see it as less important and thus would be less inclined to respond to this thread.

================

There was the same thing awhile ago with a thread asking "Do you use free range eggs, and if not, why not?" The majority of people responding said that yes they did use free range eggs. A few people responded saying that they used cage eggs and gave their reasons, but the ratio didn't match reality. Then after several pages someone commented on the disparity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh AND, just to make myself look even worse, I wrote down the dates wrong for two of the parties I did respond to. So I didn't show up, thinking they were the following week, and then heard about them at school on Monday I not making myself look very good right now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I rsvp to any event either or both of us are invited to, either by phone or in person, or lately on fb in the events part. A lot don't for dd, or they do then fail to turn up which is really hard when I pay so much per head then half are a no-show.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only once have I not replied to an RSVP and I felt AWFUL! In my defence I hadn't been picking my daughter up from Kindy and the person who picked her up for me, didn't know to check the pocket. So, we missed the party. But, I popped a Happy Birthday card in the child's pocket and a letter to the parent to explain as I felt awful. But I agree, totally rude not to RSVP!
    I've had people not RSVP (which I thought was rude enough) but then they actually TURNED UP! I was shocked and embarrassed as I didn't cater for them, there was no party bag for their child, nothing.
    The other thing that really bugs me is when parents turn up with other children without having told you that they will be bringing them. I only say this because I have no problem with siblings being there, but I need to know so there is enough food to go around etc.

Happy birthday to your babies, hope their day is WONDERFUL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re syblings:

I generally try not to bring syblings. However there are circumstances where I need to (especially a toddler or baby). If the party is at a public location (park, play centre, MacDonalds/Hungry Jacks, etc) then I wont inform the host about the sybling because it is a public place and the sybling can be there and not be part of the party. (A toddler sybling I would typically allow to play on the playground with the party goers, but when they got called to the party room for activities and food, I would keep they sybling with me - away from the party.)

However if the party is at someone's house, then I would definately ask/mention my need to bring the sybling.

PS: I've been quite surprised when party bags have been offerred to syblings - even ones that aren't present. For example at a party for a school child where I have three children at school and a toddler that is often seen with me, but take the invited child alone to the party, when it is time to leave the host gives my child four party bags stating that the extras are to take for her sisters. This practice seems to be fairly common - say half the time.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 11-02-2012 at 10:31.