+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I having Blighted Ovum/Missed Miscarriage?

Hi all

Could someone please tell me if I'm having Blighted Ovum/Missed Miscarriage?

I had a dating scan yesterday and afterwards my doctor referred me for another scan in 10 days time as baby was too small for a scan. I'm just so worried about this and can't think of anything else...

Firstly I believe I'm 7w4d pregnant (BD only on 30/12/11 & O'd on 02/01/12 according to Fertility Friend). The Blood Test on 25/01/12 (5w1d) confirmed pregnancy & hCG level was perfect for 5wk at the time. I do have a long cycle of 35 to 40 days but O'd on CD22 so my calculation is not counting from LMP but counting O'd date of 02/01/12 as 2wks. Is this correct?

So I should have been able to see a heartbeat yesterday at 7w3d but instead they found no heartbeat, measurements on Gestational Sac @ 28.08mm=8w1d, and Crown-rump length @ only 1.98mm=5w3d

I understand at 5w3d, you may not see a heartbeat yet but I'm really concerned why the baby is only the size of 5w3d especially when the Gestational Sac is 8w1d which is closer to my actual date.

I am really worried that the baby might have stopped growing at 5w3d and my body doesn't know about it yet?

Is it possible for the baby's growth to be this slow and 2wk behind? I don't want to get hopes up for next scan but I'm just wondering (& hoping) that if this is possible and we may be able to hear the heartbeat next time. Could the baby be simply developing just very slowly?

This is my first pregnancy and I really don't know what to expect. I still have sore breasts and some days feeling nauseous but no vomiting...but I've read here that with missed miscarriage, your body could still produce hormones so those symptoms don't go away.

Does anyone know if there is a hope?

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you're going through this peonies. No advice I'm afraid, just a

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

peonies  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tiggerfields

I just hope everything is ok but preparing myself for the worst also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope bubs just implanted a little later throwing your dates out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumma Nurse For This Useful Post:

peonies  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mumma Nurse
    I didn't know that late implantation could throw out dates at scans.

I'm gonna read more about the late implantation now.
    Thanks!

Stubborn Ox is offline Can't wait to meet our little baby this year!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The worse thing ever is false hope but I know exactly how you feel.First time around I had a blighted ovum, knew I was close to 8 weeks but they dated me at 5ish. It sucked big time.This time around I went for my scan and I was 7 weeks and 4 days but they only found me to be 5 weeks and 5 days but this time there was a yolk in there the ultrasound lady was so positive but I wasn't.Went for my scan I guess to confirm it all and then sort out what I was doing be it have a natural miscarriage or go in for another D & C. Talking to the ultrasound lady who did it again and telling her how my GP was awesome and was going to send me for tests not let me wait blah blah blah then she says "There is something in there with a heart beat!" and there was! I was delighted but still am confused as hell as how I am 2 weeks out???We used to OPKs and DTD before then and following after, I felt what I thought was implantation cramping 8 or 9DPO and then I got a BFP at maybe 20DPO because it was Christmas time. What was my baby doing for those 2 weeks? I am confused but happy as anything being 10 weeks pregnant today!Good luck and I hope, hope, HOPE you are in the exact same boat as me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stubborn Ox For This Useful Post:

peonies  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much Stubborn Ox.

I just cried reading your reply... so sorry that you had a blighted ovum first time around but I'm sooooo happy to hear this pregnancy is going well for you. I really hope that's what's happening to me as well.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up and I'm preparing for the worst but it's always nice to hear happy ending stories. It gives me hope. My DH is telling me not to come to any conclusions yet until we have another scan as strange things happen. He said the fact that we got pregnant in the first place was kind of miracle so it could happen again.

I looked into late implantation but it's unlikely for me as I think I had implantation cramp on 8DPO and my first BFP on POAS was on 14DPO. It sucks that I'm feeling a bit nauseous today. It's not getting worse but it makes me really upset that I could still have these symptoms with blighted ovum.

Thanks again for sharing your story and I really hope I'm in a same situation as well.

Stubborn Ox is offline Can't wait to meet our little baby this year!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And you know what preparing for the worst is great for your head space however you can't, hope is an amazing thing and we don't lose it. I felt guilty that I didn't enjoy the first few weeks of my pregnancy this time because I was terrified however when I went for my second ultrasound I was so ready to hear it was like last time that I felt kind of numb, it was a beautiful surprise yes and I can't say how I would have reacted if nobody was home again. If you ever want to talk and I mean it, send me a PM and we can chat. Waiting for the next ultrasound is going to be hard, if you want someone to vent to even if it's just for those next few days I'm honestly here. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much Stubborn Ox It means a lot to me as we haven't told anyone about this pregnancy as we were waiting to see the heartbeat, so I don't really have anyone to talk to apart from DH.

I won't lose hope. It may be a little hope but I will hang on to it until we find out at the 2nd ultrasound.

Thank you