+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Crazy moose.... tax pays for the rebates anyway. So by your definition, poor people and everyone else who pay taxes, should pay tax that ends up going back to the middle class and wealthy anyway. What is the point of tax when this happens?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Of course poor people work bloody hard. probably the hardest a lot of the time. And of course many well off people are whinging about this while meanwhile they pay ridiculous interest on an over priced shiny car they didn't need.. But ultimately don't we all make our choices.. I would hope nobody would argue that richy mcrich should be getting the same welfare I get lol.. That's insane.. But I don't think he should necessarily pay more for the same private service either.. That is if I'm understanding the issue correctly. I mean we aren't talking about "hand outs" and that's what I meant

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
    This is what I am trying to say!! Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Yes I understand what your saying.. I do. However it's not black and white. Maybe they can afford another $1000 a year. But should they really need too? They really do do their share financially for the nation as does someone on $45000 a year. That's tax. The wealthy always pay in full. It's not easy. Sometimes it does hurt.

I know when we went through the flood we lost everything, we lived on our savings, we got $10,000 from the premiers appeal. Next door got over $100000 and we were worse off but because of dh's earnings we lost out. At the end of the day. We were all in the same boat. We couldn't rebuild, next door could. There is no help anytime for the "high income earners" there is for the low income earners which is important. But the government can't keep pushing more debt onto those who earn more. It's not right. Regardless if they can afford the extra 1k or not.
    I'm not necessarily saying it's good. The issue is that the wealthy complain about labor and the deficit but then complain about small increases. The money to fund roads and hospitals has to come from somewhere. Yes I know these families pay a lot of tax but they also earn a lot. Where do liberal voters expect we cut the deficit and save PHI? from the poor? as from the link the increases are very small.

and I'm very sorry to hear about you losing everything in the floods, that's just terrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    Gee with them removing the rebate it would have more people calculating weather it's worth having PHI as the MLS is charged at the same wage brackets.
    Yeah, it will be worth it to them to have PHI. The tax for not having it is more than having it and not getting the rebate.

From the age...
    Health Minister Tanya Plibersek said yesterday that she believed the legislation would pass ''because of the merits of the case''.
    ''We're talking about a fairness issue here, we're talking about people … some of them on, say, $50,000 a year who can't afford private health insurance themselves, subsidising the private health insurance of people, including very high-income earners, through the tax system, and we believe that that is not a fair system.''

I agree.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying it's good. The issue is that the wealthy complain about labor and the deficit but then complain about small increases. The money to fund roads and hospitals has to come from somewhere. Yes I know these families pay a lot of tax but they also earn a lot. Where do liberal voters expect we cut the deficit and save PHI? from the poor? as from the link the increases are very small.

and I'm very sorry to hear about you losing everything in the floods, that's just terrible
    some of the rich probably would suggest cutting money from the poor, cracking down on welfare etc.. I also hate that mentality that its always about taking from those who are seen as a burden

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    so someone on a quarter of a mil a year only pays $1200 more a year, and only $400 a year for those on 166k, there you go
    And, like you said, lower income earners who were upset about $400 being taken from the baby bonus were told here "don't have a baby if you can't afford $400". I guess we could argue to those on high incomes who will losing $400 "don't have PHI if you can't afford $400".

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (12-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Having a mortgage IS struggling?? Do you know how expensive a simple house in a normal suburb in Sydney, Melbourne or any major city costs? You say it's 'choosing a lifestyle' you make it sound like they're/we're choosing this big plush 'lifestyle' when I'm sorry but it's providing an average home to live in?
    If every high income earner rented then their would be an even bigger divide in the classes where only the really rich could afford housing instead of everyday mums and dads. So abit of help to maintain it would benefit everyone!
    Well said. I love how so many people think higher income earners live an extravagant lifestyle or beyond their means but in our situation that isn't the case at all. When you take into account a mortgage, a car payment, childcare fees without ccb or any other centrelink benefits, car and health insurances, besides the fact it is a lot more expensive living where we live and home insurance is a huge amount.... Oh and not to mention my dh paying nearly 40% of his wage to tax.... We live like anyone else.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow first world problems, hey

We are a high income family (for now), but literally had nothing when we first got together. We had to share a house with another couple after we'd had our first child because we couldn't afford rent on our own.

I stress when I hear about the govt cutting rebates for high income earners- how much more a year it will cost us to send the kids to care so I can finish uni, PHI, which my husband HAS to have the top cover for his job (so we cannot choose to drop it if it gets too expensive). Then I think how lucky we are that we can buy a house in a decent suburb, that we can even afford PHI and for me to study.

When we were broke, I had to go and wait at the hospital for hours just to see a dr to get a script for AB when I had mastitis. I couldn't even access a doctor coz I had no money!

Health care is NOT equal in this country- if you are poor you cannot even fathom having PHI and skipping long public hospital waiting lists. If your child is sick, you wait at the bloody hospital just to see a dr, coz its too expensive to go to a GP. Then you weigh up if you can afford the meds that week or not.

If you are poor you will most likely not live near a top-performing public school and private school is not an option.

Yes, people on a wage such as $166k do struggle, because they have chosen to go back to work and pay child care, or to buy a $500k+ house. When you are struggling to pay rent and school fees (of which ours were over $1500 this year for 2 kids at the local PUBLIC school!) THEN you can whinge about having to pay an extra $1k for a luxury that most people can't afford in the first place!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012),naebie  (10-02-2012),wrena  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can someone please explain to me why a tax rebate is welfare because I certainly do not see them as the same thing.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-02-2012),PomPoms  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not truely a tax rebate, though, as you get the 30% whether you pay tax or not.

It's really a subsidy for a private service, like the childcare rebate.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (10-02-2012)