+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Everyone pays tax, not just the wealthy. My husband also busts his bubble to earn his 45k too as well as studying full time on top of work. Being poor doesn't mean not working hard.
    this is the argument that bugs me the most - poorer people don't work hard. I've never known anybody in my entire life who works harder than my own dad. He's never earned even remotely close to a high income. He will be working for the rest of his life, provided he doesn't get sick. Literally.

The reason that people talk about these generations as wanting it all and wanting everything now is because a lot earn huge amounts of money and, as TLT mentioned, DO want the 4br, 2 bathroom homes and the nice cars wheras our parents and grandparents first homes would've been about half the size and they would've driven around one bomb between them! People are borrowing more and more.

Mortgages are getting out of hand, but I can't see why a couple earning $166k couldn't afford an average home in an average suburb when there's people on much lower incomes doing it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),MissPoss  (10-02-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (10-02-2012)

Guest Guest
    no, that 45k includes CL and no we really don't get that much. I'll swap a 200k a year family with no CL for our 45k with CL

and on 166k with how frugal we live, no 1k would be a drop in the ocean. Most women spend more on their hair in a year.
    I think anyone would.

cmd'smum is offline Administrator
    I'm coming to get you Linda... ribbbit
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder to please keep this thread nice

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to correct the figures....

{The test only begins to impact on incomes well above average earnings, at $83,000 for singles and $166,000 for families. At that point the rebate falls by 10 per cent, which will push up typical premiums by about $200 for singles and $400 for families.

The rebate falls in another stage by a further 10 per cent and then drops out entirely for singles earning more than $129,000 - boosting the average premium for that group by about $600 - and for families on $258,000, adding about $1200 a year to premiums.
    For Australians aged over 65 the rebate is 35 per cent, and for over-70s it is 40 per cent if they are on average incomes. For people in those age groups on higher incomes, the rebate falls more sharply to reach zero at the same income thresholds as for younger people.}

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

naebie  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    so someone on a quarter of a mil a year only pays $1200 more a year, and only $400 a year for those on 166k, there you go

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (12-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    w

Everyone pays tax, not just the wealthy. My husband also busts his bubble to earn his 45k too as well as studying full time on top of work. Being poor doesn't mean not working hard.

I get that a mortgage is a sound financial investment for the future. But that isn't really the issue. The issue here is people complaining about a grand a year earning 200k a year, yet the same people tore others apart in the BB thread saying if $500 less BB makes a difference there's something wrong. So a poor person shouldn't complain about $500 in 6 months but a rich person can complain about a grand over a year?

anyhoo I'll bow out, didn't mean to upset people.
    Yes I understand what your saying.. I do. However it's not black and white. Maybe they can afford another $1000 a year. But should they really need too? They really do do their share financially for the nation as does someone on $45000 a year. That's tax. The wealthy always pay in full. It's not easy. Sometimes it does hurt.

I know when we went through the flood we lost everything, we lived on our savings, we got $10,000 from the premiers appeal. Next door got over $100000 and we were worse off but because of dh's earnings we lost out. At the end of the day. We were all in the same boat. We couldn't rebuild, next door could. There is no help anytime for the "high income earners" there is for the low income earners which is important. But the government can't keep pushing more debt onto those who earn more. It's not right. Regardless if they can afford the extra 1k or not.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-02-2012),risfaerie  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    DON'T put words in my mouth! I never said that. Argue fairly please, don't get grubby.

And you will always get schools who perform better. That's not the issue??? The issue is about private and public and our edcucation system OVERALL. You can get a good education in this country no matter your income, it's a pure simple fact.
    Except if you're my daughter who is on the ASD spectrum and public school don't have the facilities to deal with her. So on our measly $50K per yr we have to pay private fees to give her a sporting chance at education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Of course poor people work bloody hard. probably the hardest a lot of the time. And of course many well off people are whinging about this while meanwhile they pay ridiculous interest on an over priced shiny car they didn't need.. But ultimately don't we all make our choices.. I would hope nobody would argue that richy mcrich should be getting the same welfare I get lol.. That's insane.. But I don't think he should necessarily pay more for the same private service either.. That is if I'm understanding the issue correctly. I mean we aren't talking about "hand outs" and that's what I meant

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also totally get it is a really small amount of money to someone on such high money.. Its just the principle that I'm arguing.. Maybe I'm just way too bored today

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Gee with them removing the rebate it would have more people calculating weather it's worth having PHI as the MLS is charged at the same wage brackets.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-02-2012)