+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 217
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,970
    Thanks
    6,262
    Thanked
    17,182
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    There's a difference between struggling because you've chosen a certain lifestyle and actually struggling. It's possible for people on 166K to be in the former category, we are just under that amount and while we don't struggle, we do have to be very careful with our money. We chose to take on a relatively high mortgage in an area we wanted to live in. I don't expect anyone to give me a handout because of that, that's our choice. It makes me feel quite ill to hear people complain that they don't get handouts from the government when they have more than enough already. Take some personal responsibility.

    Don't know how I missed this but thank you and that's the point I have made lots on here about the rich 'struggling' when really it's about choosing high levels of debt for a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing wrong with that. None of my business. But that's not struggling, and people can't expect hand outs on high incomes bc they *choose* huge mortgages.

    Your post has restored my faith that there are higher income people out there that actually appreciate how lucky they are

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012)

  3. #52
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think people who think we all have the same standard of living haven't seen the conditions of some areas of Aust and some schools. There is a huge difference between the facilities of a private school and a public school and, no, some people literally cannot afford to send their children to private schools.


    I think if things were truly equal according to some logic, we'd all be earning $166k!

    I do want equality. But my version of equality is not handouts for the well off.
    The facilities are different to the level of education you can receive publicly. You can go public all the way and still have great teachers and get great marks and are equal when it comes to getting a good score in Year 12. Private schools only have good stats because they refuse entry or kick kids out who don't do well.
    Would I spend 20k a year on school fees just for the good sporting ovals or pristine school grounds? It makes no difference. You see, you don't have to be rich to have a good education in this country, if I could finsih school and get a degree with my dad being a factory worker, then yes, so can the children of low income earners.

    40k a year is a very low income, infact I think its considered below the poverty line. The average wage is higher than that, and with both parents working you'd double that again. But once you have 2 parents working you start to get penalised and are called 'rich' and we should only consider very low income earners???? Makes no sense really. If you complain you're told to live within your means but then in the same sentence realise how expensive everything is, so $166k would be comfortable but it doesn't mean those people don't struggle with everyday costs.

    But again, the real question is "WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO GO LABOUR"??????

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ahh the old "I did it, anyone can" bingo. Why can't the kids in the Northern Territory living in third world conditions just go out and get a better education

    I haven't called two working parents rich at all, especially if they are both low income earners. Heck, DP and I earned an embarrassingly low income combined just 3 years ago. But I do consider $166k for a family to be more than enough to not need handouts. I agree with FearlessLeader - if you're earning that amount and can't afford an extra $1k for healthcare you're doing something wrong.

    I do not believe in welfare to fund expensive cars, expensive homes, and whatever else people are wasting their money on. Heck, I *do* earn $40k myself and I set aside more than $1k p.a. from my own personal funds.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),jenrose  (13-02-2012)

  6. #54
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Don't know how I missed this but thank you and that's the point I have made lots on here about the rich 'struggling' when really it's about choosing high levels of debt for a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing wrong with that. None of my business. But that's not struggling, and people can't expect hand outs on high incomes bc they *choose* huge mortgages.

    Your post has restored my faith that there are higher income people out there that actually appreciate how lucky they are
    Having a mortgage IS struggling?? Do you know how expensive a simple house in a normal suburb in Sydney, Melbourne or any major city costs? You say it's 'choosing a lifestyle' you make it sound like they're/we're choosing this big plush 'lifestyle' when I'm sorry but it's providing an average home to live in?
    If every high income earner rented then their would be an even bigger divide in the classes where only the really rich could afford housing instead of everyday mums and dads. So abit of help to maintain it would benefit everyone!

  7. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,865
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked
    443
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm really mad about it tbh.

    We already pay $255.00 per month and to add another $1000 a year will effect how much time we spend going away, doing things as a family etc. Not happy!!!

    We need PHI in qld because quite honestly qld public health is very poor.

    I hate that the government continues to make it really hard for the families busting their bums (and not entitled to anything from the government, or little) to live a life other then work. I am just so mad about it.

    We work real hard, we aren't entitled to anything my husband works away 22days on 3 days off to give our kids a strong financial future. Why when we pay huge tax, huge medical fees, huge in everything and nothing comes back.

    We were flooded last year and while all our neighbours got payout from the government we got literally next to nothing because my Dh earnt to much (half goes to tax) so we struggled while others didn't.

    Sorry I have no respect or faith for the ridiculous government any more.

  8. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,970
    Thanks
    6,262
    Thanked
    17,182
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    there is a big difference between 80k and 200k, and again saying how expensive everything is only strengthens the argument that a family like us on 45k really *are* struggling considering we have many of the same bills of someone on 5 times as much.

    If we can budget and give our kids everything on 45k and be paying as much rent as a mortgage in our area we wouldn't have a care in the world on 166k.

    I think people need to get some perspective, if you think you're struggling on 150k how do you think a single mother copes on 15?

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012),naebie  (10-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-02-2012)

  10. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,970
    Thanks
    6,262
    Thanked
    17,182
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Having a mortgage IS struggling?? Do you know how expensive a simple house in a normal suburb in Sydney, Melbourne or any major city costs? You say it's 'choosing a lifestyle' you make it sound like they're/we're choosing this big plush 'lifestyle' when I'm sorry but it's providing an average home to live in?
    If every high income earner rented then their would be an even bigger divide in the classes where only the really rich could afford housing instead of everyday mums and dads. So abit of help to maintain it would benefit everyone!
    You do realise rental prices are virtually the same? and there are lots of families in syd that are low to middle income?

  11. #58
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Ahh the old "I did it, anyone can" bingo. Why can't the kids in the Northern Territory living in third world conditions just go out and get a better education

    I haven't called two working parents rich at all, especially if they are both low income earners. Heck, DP and I earned an embarrassingly low income combined just 3 years ago. But I do consider $166k for a family to be more than enough to not need handouts. I agree with FearlessLeader - if you're earning that amount and can't afford an extra $1k for healthcare you're doing something wrong.

    I do not believe in welfare to fund expensive cars, expensive homes, and whatever else people are wasting their money on. Heck, I *do* earn $40k myself and I set aside more than $1k p.a. from my own personal funds.
    Oh here we go Are we now talking about kids in the northern territory are we? Cause that's a completely seperate issue to the average Australian. Sorry but it's a weak argument. You're trying to say we have a divide in education and I'd like to know how and where you get that?

  12. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,865
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked
    443
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Don't know how I missed this but thank you and that's the point I have made lots on here about the rich 'struggling' when really it's about choosing high levels of debt for a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing wrong with that. None of my business. But that's not struggling, and people can't expect hand outs on high incomes bc they *choose* huge mortgages.

    Your post has restored my faith that there are higher income people out there that actually appreciate how lucky they are
    Where does the government get their funds to pay people's benefits etc? From the high paying people. They pay huge tax. That's money they have busted their bubble earning. They DO struggle. They don't get benefits and if they "choose" too then that's 1 less big tax payer which is less money for the government to pay out! Don't you see the importance of the high income earners?

    It's not fair to push so much financial burden on them either. They "choose" debt do they can be self sufficient. Because they know in a few decades time there will be no pension and few benefits because the government won't be able to afford it. So for security they live a life of struggle and maybe in hope to secure some future for their children.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:


  14. #60
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    there is a big difference between 80k and 200k, and again saying how expensive everything is only strengthens the argument that a family like us on 45k really *are* struggling considering we have many of the same bills of someone on 5 times as much.

    If we can budget and give our kids everything on 45k and be paying as much rent as a mortgage in our area we wouldn't have a care in the world on 166k.

    I think people need to get some perspective, if you think you're struggling on 150k how do you think a single mother copes on 15?
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You do realise rental prices are virtually the same? and there are lots of families in syd that are low to middle income?
    Right, so I'm assuming your getting a lot of welfare in that case to help with those costs?
    Higher income earners don't get that, and who are you to judge how a high income earner spends or lives and how much they can afford? You'resaying you're struggling on your income and you wouldn't with $166k it doesn't mean you wouldn't miss 2k a year? And its the principle of what this government is doing, because it doesn't target you it makes it ok? Why, how will the savings benefit you?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    risfaerie  (15-02-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Health Insurance
    By lilrussell in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-09-2012, 11:45
  2. IVF with no health insurance
    By NAT256 in forum IVF
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-08-2012, 15:42
  3. HIF Health Insurance Fund or PEOPLECARE Health Insurance Fund?? Advice??
    By BlueButton in forum Private Health Insurance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 11:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Nest Private Maternity
Nest Private Maternity is committed to providing private pregnancy care at an affordable price. We’re upfront about our out-of-pocket costs, so you can confidently decide to have your baby with us.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!