+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I thought we were talking about health insurance. And everyone was saying "oh well their rich they can afford it". I wasn't aware we were talking about family tax benefit. I actually said I am not in favour of giving the same amount of money to everyone regardless of income. Confused

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
    We were until a few came in and pulled the old 'we get nothing and those lucky poor people get everything' argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It stinks. We already pay through the nose for top cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    We were until a few came in and pulled the old 'we get nothing and those lucky poor people get everything' argument.
    I agree with you in that. Poor people need money given to them so they can do stuff like eat food and run water I don't argue that we should all get given some allowance regardless of income no..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Kind of glad we don't earn enough to be effected ( ) I'd be ****ed if I had to pay an extra $120 a month, I already pay enough!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I have a different view of equality to you in that case. I DO want equality for all Australians, but that does not mean that I want rich people to receive welfare. That's just absurd.

If things were truly equal we'd all have access to the same healthcare, education, housing etc but that doesn't happen so we need thresholds, govt assistance etc to attempt to *balance* some of these problems.

Do I want equality? Yes. Do I want to see people on very high incomes receiving the same family tax benefits and child care benefits as someone earning $40k to feed and house an entire family? NO!
    We do have access to the same education, healthcare and housing? We're not a 3rd world country and by no means does being a low income earner in THIS country mean your homeless, have no access to healthcare or education.

$166k to me is by far rich!! It's a decent wage but living costs are high, it doesn't mean people on higher incomes are living on yachts with champagne, its working mums and dads trying to make a good life and living who still have to use childcare, schools and healthcare we all use.

You say want equality but in the same sentence say you don't.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    We do have access to the same education, healthcare and housing? We're not a 3rd world country and by no means does being a low income earner in THIS country mean your homeless, have no access to healthcare or education.

$166k to me is by far rich!! It's a decent wage but living costs are high, it doesn't mean people on higher incomes are living on yachts with champagne, its working mums and dads trying to make a good life and living who still have to use childcare, schools and healthcare we all use.

You say want equality but in the same sentence say you don't.
    I think people who think we all have the same standard of living haven't seen the conditions of some areas of Aust and some schools. There is a huge difference between the facilities of a private school and a public school and, no, some people literally cannot afford to send their children to private schools.

I think if things were truly equal according to some logic, we'd all be earning $166k!

I do want equality. But my version of equality is not handouts for the well off.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012),naebie  (10-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really grates on my nerves to hear middle class and rich people complaining like some do.

I pay $315 a month in PHI, not because I want to, but because we can afford it and should. If you read the policy correctly, it says they want to bring in a policy that creates a means tested system. SO a family on a joint income of $258, 000 is only going to NOT receive $1300 a year in rebate on their PHI. I'm sorry, but if that is sending you to the poor house, maybe it is time to use some of your quarter of a million to hire a financial adviser .

If you want everyone to have free health care and not pay for private insurances and say "bring on the next election"... then that's completely ironic. Who are you planning to vote in?

Who disposes of the public system every time they come into power? Who got rid of free university education, who gives more to private schools and private health every time they are in power and less to everything publically funded? Hint: not Labor.

All the middle class and rich should count themselves lucky that they aren't in a user pays system like america. Where the poor don't get treated, and middle class become bankrupt if they have a medical condition like kidney failure, and only the rich can afford to be sick. Some people just can't see anything past the steam from their own skinny chai latte.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-02-2012),delirium  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),Izy  (10-02-2012),jenrose  (13-02-2012),Lucy in the Sky  (10-02-2012),wrena  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So if someone on that figure is 'struggling' bc of high living costs, how much does a family on 40k struggle with the same high living costs? do you see what I mean? rent is almost as much as a mortgage, poor people still need cars, buy school uniforms, grocery shop.

and equality is a middle class family being able to afford top cover like a rich family on 200k. If that means lowering the cost for the middle family then so be it. Equality is not having a family on 200k paying $400 a month on PHI while a family on 50k pay $400 a month as well...

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-02-2012),Benji  (10-02-2012),Deserama  (12-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (16-02-2012),naebie  (10-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (10-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-02-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I pay $315 a month in PHI, not because I want to, but because we can afford it and should.

We cant really afford to have PHI but we do cause my medical expenses cost a bomb & public waiting lists are crazy!

The rebate pays for half our PHI for the next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    It really grates on my nerves to hear middle class and rich people complaining like some do.

I pay $315 a month in PHI, not because I want to, but because we can afford it and should. If you read the policy correctly, it says they want to bring in a policy that creates a means tested system. SO a family on a joint income of $258, 000 is only going to NOT receive $1300 a year in rebate on their PHI. I'm sorry, but if that is sending you to the poor house, maybe it is time to use some of your quarter of a million to hire a financial adviser .

If you want everyone to have free health care and not pay for private insurances and say "bring on the next election"... then that's completely ironic. Who are you planning to vote in?

Who disposes of the public system every time they come into power? Who got rid of free university education, who gives more to private schools and private health every time they are in power and less to everything publically funded? Hint: not Labor.

All the middle class and rich should count themselves lucky that they aren't in a user pays system like america. Where the poor don't get treated, and middle class become bankrupt if they have a medical condition like kidney failure, and only the rich can afford to be sick. Some people just can't see anything past the steam from their own skinny chai latte.
    Actually, on your point about who the heck to vote in I 100% agree!! If Tony Abbott gets in I am leaving Australia.

But as I said before, I'm not going to comment on the rest as things get misconstrued. I dont think anyone here has said that the "wealthy" should get the same rebates as those on low income, but people seem to be inferring that is what has been said. Oh well.