+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Rebate or bonus. The point I think is that poor people can't complain about losing $400 but the wealthy on 10 times that are entitled to complain about a grand. If someone on 250k misses a grand in a year then it's fair to say a single mum on 15k would def miss $400 in 6 months. Yet some of the wealthy people in that thread were very scathing of anyone that may miss that amount saying they shouldn't be even having kids....
    This!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was just saying they're not comparable payments. Their purposes are different.

So the relevance of bringing up the baby bonus is irrelevant.

Apples and Oranges.

FTR - My thought is that if someone wants to complain about something that they feel is unfair - go for it.

The people who have the bigger problem are the ones that push their own agendas and tell others whether they have something to complain about or not. Everyone's feelings are as valid as everyone elses.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 18-02-2012 at 17:15.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    I can't believe people have forgotten to live within their means, seems to be a lost skill. I also can't believe that people earning over $150K whinge about $1K. I mean seriously.. if that's the worst thing that happen to you over the year, you're doing ok.
    People aren't 'whinging' about losing 1k, they're questioning why the government is again making them pay higher for the same service they receive as everyone else, and THEN give no explanation as to where that tax saving will go. You might accept what the government does, but everyone should be questioning and scrutinizing it.
    I'm sure you're great with money and live within your means, it doesn't mean other people don't? To think no one will miss 1k is ridiculous, going by your logic does that mean you wouldn't miss losing $300 every year with no explanation given?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-02-2012),kw123  (18-02-2012),Mod-pegasus  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    People seem to be missing the point. It has nothing to do with affording to lose the money. Yeah, my family can afford PHI, the extra bit we might have to pay would not effect us too much. However, that does not mean that we have to be happy about it, and that we should just accept it without questioning it.

Regarding BB - I understand why people would have been upset about losing part of that payment. Especially those whose incomes are lower, financial stress can put pressure on new mums, who are under enough stress as it it. But why are they allowed to be upset at losing out on $400, but are other people not allowed to be upset about having to fork out more, just because they happen to have higher incomes?

Lets go with a hypothetical on this. Suppose you have $100 in your wallet that you have specifically put away for the purpose of purchasing a new outfit. All of your other needs are covered, your bills paid, your food purchased, and you have this $100 to spend on clothes. Suppose some guy in a uniform with a badge that said "wallet police" came up to you and said "you have too much money in that wallet, and due to having too much money in your wallet, I am now taking $5 off you" and took a $5 note out of your wallet and walked away.

So you now have $95 to buy your outfit with. $5 out of $100 isn't much to lose. It isn't going to impact the quality of the outfit you buy hugely, if at all. So, by the arguments on here, you can AFFORD to lose that $5.

Would you be upset? Would you feel justified in feeling angry at the wallet police? Even though it is not enough money to destroy your life, would you feel like you were being taken for a bit of a ride? Because I certainly would!

I realise that I just over-simplified it a lot, but in a nutshell, that is how it feels.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (20-02-2012),Guest654  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just think the govt should just scraped all rebates/bonus/assistance/incentive scheme and have a graded tax cut across the board. Then everyone can just pay for the services/goods they want. eg. not everyone will have a baby/have children and will never make use of child care rebate, family assistance or baby bonus. Why should a single person without children pay tax to fund all these? People struggling to make ends meet who can't afford to own a house are paying taxes to fund solar panels on other people's houses for example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostysmum View Post
    I just think the govt should just scraped all rebates/bonus/assistance/incentive scheme and have a graded tax cut across the board. Then everyone can just pay for the services/goods they want. eg. not everyone will have a baby/have children and will never make use of child care rebate, family assistance or baby bonus. Why should a single person without children pay tax to fund all these? People struggling to make ends meet who can't afford to own a house are paying taxes to fund solar panels on other people's houses for example.
    Because families pay taxes too and trying to help the environment is not a bad thing.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    And ironically... I remember a few PPs saying if $400 less on the BB then you shouldn't have babies. It's the same for PHI, if you can't afford it without the rebate, don't have it.
    this! and while the payments arent comparable its the PRINCIPLE that appparenly only high income earners can complain about being broke. anyone else just should manage thier money more effectively.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

delirium  (18-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (20-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    The plural I was referring to was "mortgages", but that's ok. Like I said, assuming is dangerous.

Lucky you that you had the opportunity to "better yourselves". Not everyone gets that..........
    What I can't wrap my head around is complaining about something that really, when it comes down to it, is not needed. It's not "deserved". I seriously cannot understand this mentality. Yes, you have to pay higher taxes..when you earn more money..umm...why is that not logical? It's basic finance.
    Sorry, had to cut out some of your post so that my phone would let me reply!

It's actually not basic finance. It's economic redistribution based on Social Democratics ideals. I wish more people would take the time to question the way our lives are run!

As for your "poor me" spiel.. Life is part luck, part choice. Assuming people that earn high incomes or went to uni have had a lucky life is incorrect and a bit dreary really. We're lucky in Australia to have an education system that doesn't work that way - that provides an arena for choice. I stopped going to high school when I was younger than you were, got divorced, lived in poverty...could go on and on about my "luck" (and also my choices!) and I've got 1 degree under my belt and halfway through my second that will eventually see me in quite a high income bracket. I'm not trying to say I'm better than you (or anyone) only that you can't assume so much. My background is probably why I am where I am -- maybe if I didn't know how low life could get I wouldn't work so hard to do better.
    Last edited by MaybeBabyNo2; 18-02-2012 at 19:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because families pay taxes too and trying to help the environment is not a bad thing.
    I'd rather be able to afford my own home paying a lower tax than to fund other people who are already sitting in their houses put up solar panels.

The problem with all these rebates and incentives is that not everybody wants it, but the government is making everyone pay for it regardless. Even people and families who can't afford PHI have to fund the rebates for those who can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostysmum View Post
    I'd rather be able to afford my own home paying a lower tax than to fund other people who are already sitting in their houses put up solar panels.

The problem with all these rebates and incentives is that not everybody wants it, but the government is making everyone pay for it regardless. Even people and families who can't afford PHI have to fund the rebates for those who can.
    First home owners grant. And the first home saver account, which the government contributes to your savings.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (20-02-2012)