+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    People in affluent areas already pay more for groceries. Aldi is the only supermarket that have the same price for items across all stores.

We would not get rid of our PHI, even if we were going to lose some or all of the rebate. We did it once, but got too nervous. In the years we have had PHI, we have only used it for chiro and dental. I don't use it to birth in private hospital. $1000 a year is less than $20 a week. We would have to cut back on savings or somewhere else. If phi is a priority, then people who will lose the rebate entirely should surely be able to find $20 from somewhere.

I'm glad my phi is through a non-profit organization!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-02-2012 at 05:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    What I can't wrap my head around is complaining about something that really, when it comes down to it, is not needed. It's not "deserved".
    Wow. You think that all the tax breaks/credits and actual cash payments some people on lower incomes are "deserved"? Needed perhaps, but not deserved.

You are obviously choosing not to read or understood a number of posts on this thread. Even if you can afford it, if someone takes money away from you for no good reason, you would question it, no? This might be $5 or $1000. It's the principle. Saying it doesn't matter and "rich" people should just accept it without question is frankly, stupid.

As others has said its exactly the same as the $400 being taken away from the BB. It's right to question that, just as its right to question this. No questioning leads to crap leadership which is where we are now.

I know that particular thread had some nasty posts on it which I also totally don't agree with. As citizens we have the right to know where the money is going when it is taken out of our pockets.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (18-02-2012),Pesca77  (18-02-2012),Pina Colada  (20-02-2012),risfaerie  (18-02-2012)

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post

Many people may not realize that the PHI rebate was originally introduced to encourage the mid-high income earners to have it anyway, taking pressure away from the public system. So it's a little contradictory of the govt to now penalize us by removing the rebate just because we earn good money.
    This is exactly right. The rebate was to encourage mid to high income earners to get PHI. Technically no one is forced to have PHI. There is a public system (wether it is sufficient is irrelevant it does infact exist) which can be used.

The government rebate was to relieve some pressure from the health system by way of either taxing higher incomes more to cover costs or offer them a tax cut to allow them to fund their own health costs.

In my personal opinion our government should provide adequate health services to all irrespective of who has more money. However due to politics & government finances of which I have no understanding this does not seem possible. Therefore I must work with the system & continue with PHI as to me this is what the government wants to make our system work.

However reducing rebates does come as a bit of a slap in the face after all the years (I will refer to the 30 years my parents had to have PHI as at 27, I have only had my own cover for 6 years) of not relying on the public system & contributing with PHI to the health system that the government is now taking away that encouragement to do so.

Where will we be if all mid to high income earners decided they paid enough tax therefore will rely solely on the public system. That will cost the government much more than what they are saving in reducing rebates IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmerwife For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Phi subsidy schemes have only been in place since 1/7/97. The gvt rebate since 99.
    phi startes in australia in the 50's, well before any kind of public health.

*sent from my adiction... my phone*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    The plural I was referring to was "mortgages", but that's ok. Like I said, assuming is dangerous.

Lucky you that you had the opportunity to "better yourselves". Not everyone gets that opportunity. At the risk of sounding "poor me" (which is something I loathe and one of the reasons the whinging is frustrating me) I HAD to leave school at Year 10 to help my mother pay the rent. I worked my bum off and saved enough money to own land outright by the time I was 20. I then married and through circumstances I would prefer not to go into, the marriage failed and my investment was divided. I was forced to use the money from the sale of the land to buy furniture. I was a single parent for 7 years and waitressed while I went to Uni. After the Black Saturday fires I was forced to leave my home and I moved from the area and remarried, continued my family because I realised how important that is. The man I married has had circumstances in his life that meant he was unable to go to university also, but he works his bum off too. Overtime almost every day, call outs where he will have to go on site for days and we don't get to see him. But you know what, we are grateful for the $50K he receives. We don't whinge about what we don't have because we have what we need. We may never own a home, but we have a roof over our head.

What I can't wrap my head around is complaining about something that really, when it comes down to it, is not needed. It's not "deserved". I seriously cannot understand this mentality. Yes, you have to pay higher taxes..when you earn more money..umm...why is that not logical? It's basic finance.
    IMO you haven't a clue about people's life situations. It's not for you to say they can and should afford the extra $1000. So you had a rough ride in life so far. You aren't the only one. Some high income earners don't have a picnic (which you seem to think going by your posts) some of them never finished school. Some of them have gone through hell. Some of them need the extra $1000 regardless if their income can "afford it".

You don't know anyone's life situations but your own. you cant make assumptions on what they should do with their money or how they should feel about their money going by the "stereotypical rich family" which you seem to do alot of.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (20-02-2012),MaybeBabyNo2  (18-02-2012),risfaerie  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a cut to a rebate, no different to the cut to the baby bonus.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

amiee  (18-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's a cut to a rebate, no different to the cut to the baby bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And ironically... I remember a few PPs saying if $400 less on the BB then you shouldn't have babies. It's the same for PHI, if you can't afford it without the rebate, don't have it.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-02-2012),delirium  (18-02-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (18-02-2012),headoverfeet  (18-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (18-02-2012),MissPoss  (18-02-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    And ironically... I remember a few PPs saying if $400 less on the BB then you shouldn't have babies. It's the same for PHI, if you can't afford it without the rebate, don't have it.
    Thing is if you don't have PHI and earn over the threshold - you owe the MLS. So it's not an opt out thing like the baby bonus (ie. opt out of having a baby)

It's far more like the child care rebate - that's why it's called a rebate and not a bonus.

Baby bonus = paid as a BONUS when you have a baby

Child care rebate = pay for child care (a service) - get a bit of a rebate back

Private health insurance = pay for insurance as a service - get a bit of a rebate back.

Not comparable at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Rebate or bonus. The point I think is that poor people can't complain about losing $400 but the wealthy on 10 times that are entitled to complain about a grand. If someone on 250k misses a grand in a year then it's fair to say a single mum on 15k would def miss $400 in 6 months. Yet some of the wealthy people in that thread were very scathing of anyone that may miss that amount saying they shouldn't be even having kids....

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (18-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (18-02-2012),MissPoss  (18-02-2012)