Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    $166k? Holy moly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    This is going around in circles.. But anyway..

You CHOOSE to have mortgages and car repayments. You chose the house you did, and being that it's plural I'm assuming (always dangerous) that you have investment property/ies as well. You CHOSE the type of car you have. Those debts are of your own choosing. Yes, you should be able to spend your money as you please, but it it's making 1K a year that difficult perhaps you should have chosen something more within your means.

My husband earns $50K. We own our cars outright, we CHOSE a car within our means. Yes, it's squishy for a family of 5, but we don't need bells and whistles.

But I know this can be said a million times and it just won't sink in. Maybe you should live on $50K for a year and see how lucky you really are. Or maybe we should keep giving out the 30% rebate to those who really don't need it and take money away from something else. What would you prefer..hospitals, education?
    Plural meaning higher income earners in general. And actually no we don't have an investment property currently nor do we have an expensive flash house that costs a fortune in repayments, we have a car loan for the first time in many years and own our 4wd outright. And we have been in the situation of earning $50k per year and have studied to better ourselves to enable us to be able to get higher paying jobs!
    And for the record, my dh had a work accident some time back meaning he was unable to work for nearly 3yrs so it took us a long time to clear debts and get on top of things again once he was able to return to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    For those interested I have a correction for my post a few pages back...

The 30% rebate was first introduced 01/07/1999.
    In 2005 they introduced the seniors rebate (35% and 40% for 65 and 70 year olds respectively)

Before the 30% rebate the government had a system called the Private Health Insurance Incentive Scheme (PHIIS). It ran from 01/07/1997 - 30/06/1999

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Being from what the majority in here (and maybe elsewhere) would call a high income household I have to agree with comments that if $1,000.00 a year is going to have a negative impact on your lifestyle then you need to sit down and make some adjustments to your budget.

I admit that I will sometimes complain about having to pay more tax, receiving less and less from the government in rebates etc but I would sure as hell rather be complaining about $1K a year on the income we are on then having to find that money on $50K a year.

I have not always been in the income bracket that I now find myself and I think that when you start to earn good money you tend to forget 'reality' and that not all people are in the same financial position and that your lifestyle might not actually be the norm.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    This is going around in circles.. But anyway..

You CHOOSE to have mortgages and car repayments. You chose the house you did, and being that it's plural I'm assuming (always dangerous) that you have investment property/ies as well. You CHOSE the type of car you have. Those debts are of your own choosing. Yes, you should be able to spend your money as you please, but it it's making 1K a year that difficult perhaps you should have chosen something more within your means.

My husband earns $50K. We own our cars outright, we CHOSE a car within our means. Yes, it's squishy for a family of 5, but we don't need bells and whistles.

But I know this can be said a million times and it just won't sink in. Maybe you should live on $50K for a year and see how lucky you really are. Or maybe we should keep giving out the 30% rebate to those who really don't need it and take money away from something else. What would you prefer..hospitals, education?
    I can't believe you think this is ok to speak to another person this way? You have no right to tell someone how they should live or how much to spend if they dare complain over money?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeBabyNo2 View Post
    I'm really not sure where you got this impression from what I said. But to entertain it for a moment -- there are much better ways to remedy pay gaps than through the tax system.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on these better ways. This is a genuine request.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk the barrage of insults that will likely arise

$1k is not going to hurt us in terms of not being able to pay bills, etc. it's just $1k of our well earned cash that would have otherwise been disposable income to spend how we chose, and instead now it's going to the government. But I just shouldn't be bothered about it yet? If I happened to have $1k in my wallet (!) and lost it, I shouldn't bat an eyelid?? Yeah right! It's frustrating.

If they said what this money was actually for it would be a lot easier to swallow. I don't think the government have actually been clear about this but they don't have to as the majority of Australians who are not classed as high income won't question it in the slightest as its just "middle class welfare" (a ridiculous term but let's not go there for now). People are not asking the right questions of Labor about where this is going and who it is going to help. For example if people told me it was going to help increase nurses wages I would be stoked!! Or extra childcare or hospitals or whatever. But nothing has been said.

I don't actually think this change will end up costing us $1k so not sure where that figure came from but it's just an illustrative example.

We spend over $1k a year on charitable donations. We are not going to stop this at all, but friends of mine are. I don't personally agree with that decision but can understand why they are going to do it - so they are not "worse off". It's a shame if there are consequences like that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-02-2012),MaybeBabyNo2  (17-02-2012),risfaerie  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk the barrage of insults that will likely arise

$1k is not going to hurt us in terms of not being able to pay bills, etc. it's just $1k of our well earned cash that would have otherwise been disposable income to spend how we chose, and instead now it's going to the government. But I just shouldn't be bothered about it yet? If I happened to have $1k in my wallet (!) and lost it, I shouldn't bat an eyelid?? Yeah right! It's frustrating.

If they said what this money was actually for it would be a lot easier to swallow. I don't think the government have actually been clear about this but they don't have to as the majority of Australians who are not classed as high income won't question it in the slightest as its just "middle class welfare" (a ridiculous term but let's not go there for now). People are not asking the right questions of Labor about where this is going and who it is going to help. For example if people told me it was going to help increase nurses wages I would be stoked!! Or extra childcare or hospitals or whatever. But nothing has been said.

I don't actually think this change will end up costing us $1k so not sure where that figure came from but it's just an illustrative example.

We spend over $1k a year on charitable donations. We are not going to stop this at all, but friends of mine are. I don't personally agree with that decision but can understand why they are going to do it - so they are not "worse off". It's a shame if there are consequences like that.
    I do agree with the frustration and anger about not knowing where the money will go to - everyone should be questioning this regardless of income and political leanings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-02-2012),Mod-pegasus  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I might be able to shed some light on this for you....
    The medicare Levy Surcharge, goes towards maintaining the medicare system.

For the record....
    Tier 1 for families MLS 1% (rebate reduced to 20%/25%/30% for up to 64/65-69/70+)
    $166001 - $192000 = MLS $1660 - $1920

Tier 2 for families MLS 1.25% (rebate reduced to 10%/15%/20% for up to 64/65-69/70+)
    $192001 - $258000 = MLS $2400 - $3225

Tier 3 for families MLS 1.5% (rebate removed)
    $258001 + = MLS $3870+
    Last edited by Izy; 17-02-2012 at 17:27.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on these better ways. This is a genuine request.
    There are a lot of options.

Recently there have been law suits happening in the community services sector that are really exciting. The unions representing a large chunk of not for profits and community service workers are putting the argument forward that a large amount of their workers are women and that it's discriminatory that their wages are so low (to simplify). They're making a lot of progress: http://www.hsu.net.au/news/1328098260_31033.html

Being Friday afternoon I'm not running at max brain power lol but Ill try to post some other things soon.