+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Looks like this thread has gone really off topic, so I thought I"d get back to its original point.

Doesn't really bother me.
    We have PHI for one reason and that's because of tax.
    If it gets to the point where it ends up costing us more in PHI than it does in tax then it's getting dropped.
    Most useless thing ever. We never even use it apart from a yearly dental checkup. More than happy to use the public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kw123, benefits for working families wouldn't be necessary without the huge wage gaps. I'm not saying people who study, work hard etc... Shouldn't be paid more, just not 450k/annum more than what people with the same level of qualifications and work input get paid.

I suggest you look into the effect widening wage gaps has had on economies around the world.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Izy  (17-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    kw123, I don't think it's selfish to be tired of whinging. I am sick to absolute death of constant whinging. Everything is so negative "it's so not fair, I'm a rich white person, so unfair that I earn hundreds of thousands of dollars while those lucky POOR people pay $5 for their prescriptions and I pay $17.50 - what an injustice". I'm totally over it. Sick of first world problems and hearing about how much tax people pay.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (17-02-2012),delirium  (17-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (17-02-2012),MsMummy  (17-02-2012),mummabec  (17-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (17-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With the MLS and the extra surchage for not having PHI before 30 and if your on a high income your gonna have to pay something regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Kw123, benefits for working families wouldn't be necessary without the huge wage gaps. I'm not saying people who study, work hard etc... Shouldn't be paid more, just not 450k/annum more than what people with the same level of qualifications and work input get paid.

I suggest you look into the effect widening wage gaps has had on economies around the world.
    I actually agree with your example about the $450k difference for comparable qualifications, but can't think of any..? Not saying there are none - I'd genuinely be interested if you could share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    kw123, I don't think it's selfish to be tired of whinging. I am sick to absolute death of constant whinging. Everything is so negative "it's so not fair, I'm a rich white person, so unfair that I earn hundreds of thousands of dollars while those lucky POOR people pay $5 for their prescriptions and I pay $17.50 - what an injustice". I'm totally over it. Sick of first world problems and hearing about how much tax people pay.
    Benji, don't think the tone of your post is warranted personally against me. However I do agree with your example and think that would be a ridiculous thing to whinge about. I don't know anyone who would, and certainly don't myself.

As I have said several times I think it's right that we should support those who need it. But people don't earn hundreds of thousands of dollars by pure luck (ok I am sure there are some but generally speaking). Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and not just told to "suck it up".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's absolutely luck. I'm an incredibly lucky person and can and will admit it. Any single one of us could have been born in the slums of India. It's pure luck that we were born here, given our parents, our education, our mind, etc.

I also think that it's the working class who keep this country alive and going. It wasn't some rich CEO who built our houses and paved our roads, it's not a rich CEO who cares for our grandparents in nursing homes, it's probably not a millionairre who teaches and nurtures our children. I think to say that people who earn more 'contribute' more to the world than lower income earners is false (not to mention there's more low income earners than high - hence the word 'average' - so they would still be contributing more to the tax pool ).

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HELPihavea2yrold!  (17-02-2012),Izy  (17-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That's not entirely fair, I see very little actual whinging like that on here. I see it implied into posts every time someone on a higher income complains about something, but it's very rare someone actually comes on here an says "poor people don't work hard and get truckloads of free money and should all suffer in their jocks".

That's what gets read into their posts, but that's not what they actually say. When they say their husband works hard they aren't saying "and yours doesn't", when they say "it feels like all our money goes in tax" they aren't saying "i pay more tax and deserve more than you" - they're just venting frustrations.

Sure, first world problems. But if it frustrates them and upsets them then it's not nice for them to be belittled for it. Everyone gets frustrated with their life - I don't think there should be a BH means test on who can and can't vent about it!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (17-02-2012),kw123  (17-02-2012),MaybeBabyNo2  (17-02-2012),risfaerie  (17-02-2012),TheMadHatter  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I actually agree with your example about the $450k difference for comparable qualifications, but can't think of any..? Not saying there are none - I'd genuinely be interested if you could share.
    I have two uncles, one with no qualifications makes 500k+/annum, another with an accounting and business degree makes more than that. My husbands cousin has the same degree and makes 80k/annum. My uncle works less hours and largely got to where he is through connections.

My husband has a degree and a diploma (different fields) and earns about 65k/annum. When I was working I was 21 and making 130k/annum with no qualifications beyond high school, purely through luck IMO (right place, right time). My husband worked a lot harder than I did.

People like my uncle with the accountancy degree are an example of where the wage gap goes too far and is no longer reasonable.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Izy  (17-02-2012),MissMuppet  (17-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I have two uncles, one with no qualifications makes 500k+/annum, another with an accounting and business degree makes more than that. My husbands cousin has the same degree and makes 80k/annum. My uncle works less hours and largely got to where he is through connections.

My husband has a degree and a diploma (different fields) and earns about 65k/annum. When I was working I was 21 and making 130k/annum with no qualifications beyond high school, purely through luck IMO (right place, right time). My husband worked a lot harder than I did.

People like my uncle with the accountancy degree are an example of where the wage gap goes too far and is no longer reasonable.
    I agree. And I think what executives ad CEOs get is outrageous.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (17-02-2012)