+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's lovely of Mungo to care about the 'peasants', but as be well knows, an underfunded public health system is not the fault of a federal government, but state governments.

If States expects the Federal government to pay for all public health care then they should hand over administration as well.

Until they do that, it is entirely reasonable of federal governments to take the pressure of state systems in what way they see fit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (17-02-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What I find interesting is that the main argument here for people saying it's fine is that "if they're earning that sort of money, they shouldn't grumble about paying another $1000 (or whatever)"

Funny thing is whether you're on $10000 or $100000 you have a budget - if you raise costs in one area, you'll change your spending in another area.

Some people may donate that $1000 to a charity, or pay for solar panels on their roof, or pay for whatever - (the whatever doesn't matter - as this is just an example).

For me - when costs change - I change my budgetting, and weigh up alternatives.

If PHI changes, then I'll consider what the cost difference is - whether to pay upfront and have no insurance, whether to pay the extra and cut back somewhere else.

There seems to be an assumption that people on higher incomes have a money pile in the bank, where if expenses change - they can just go to that and pay the extra.

When the reality is that I know there are more expense changes coming into effect - Carbon tax being a biggie - where the total budget change is totally unknown (yes, I know they did modelling, but no one will convince me until it comes in and can be checked that the modelling will be accurate).

No the PHI change here won't effect me much (maybe not at all), but it's another thing that I feel should not have been passed until the effect of some of the other cash grab results were known.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    There seems to be an assumption that people on higher incomes have a money pile in the bank, where if expenses change - they can just go to that and pay the extra.
    Great assumption when you generally always life to your means its disposable income that really counts

Thanks
    Reviews
    OH god, I've read 2 pages into this and I'm rolling my eyes already. This doesn't have any effect on me -- but I was worried it may when I heard about it. However I think it's a stupid move by government for various larger reasons.

But I couldn't not reply to those of you whinging about people earning a decent income. Honestly, do you really think high incomes aren't worked for? I'm a leftist through and through BUT to tell people "you can't possibly complain when you earn so much money" is ridiculous! As if you wouldn't complain if that much of your money went to taxes and the government wanted more -- no matter how much you earned. I tell you what, it just sounds greedy.

I'm all for social welfare but to think there shouldn't be rewards for hard work and planning (spending years studying and btw...paying te MASSIVE uni debt) is ludicrous. What would be the point in trying? There wouldn't be any in the world we live in now anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeBabyNo2 For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    In 1999or 1998 (Can't remember) the government introduced a Private health Insurance Incentive scheme, that was superceeded by a 30% goverment rebate in 2000.

2005 marked an introduction of a 35 and 40% rebate for memberships with a member on them that was aged 65 or 70 respectively.

The MLS exemption by having PHI has been around for a while (01/07/2000 I think?).

The MLS has remained at 1%, without being indexed (just one level, high income or not) for over 10 years!

Now we have a system that see's different income brackets paying a different level of surcharge. I think it sounds fair.

For the cost being less for MLS vs Cover.
    YES it may be cheaper to pay MLS than to pay your current Level of Cover, but what do you get?
    If you were to get the basic hospital cover ONLY it would be much less than your MLS. So you're effectively getting a discount off the cost of what your PHI would cost anyway.

Ancillary cover was never something the govenment wanted to encourage people to buy for medicare, so it doesn't qualify for the MLS, so when you compare MLS to cost of insurance, compare HOSPITAL COVER only. Cause discounts off ancillary was always just a bonus
    Which reminds me how stupid the Australian government is to dedicate more money to illness than prevention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Flood Levy too

Not to mention all the cuts to not for profit and mental health and so on... I was jaded before but this labor govt does my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00250854.htm if this is still relevent for the 2012 financial year then if you earn over 154K combined and havent had cover before you are 30 or you drop out when you are over 30 for a period of time then you will also pay 2% of the premium for every year after the age of 30 that you were not covered or has this changed due to the govt getting rid of the rebate?
    Last edited by lulu 2; 16-02-2012 at 22:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    No, the lifetime healthcover legislation still exists. It's a separate system. The point of lhc legislation is to even out costs of phi in an aging population where community legislation means prices are all equal regardless of risk.

*sent from my adiction... my phone*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeBabyNo2 View Post
    OH god, I've read 2 pages into this and I'm rolling my eyes already. This doesn't have any effect on me -- but I was worried it may when I heard about it. However I think it's a stupid move by government for various larger reasons.

But I couldn't not reply to those of you whinging about people earning a decent income. Honestly, do you really think high incomes aren't worked for? I'm a leftist through and through BUT to tell people "you can't possibly complain when you earn so much money" is ridiculous! As if you wouldn't complain if that much of your money went to taxes and the government wanted more -- no matter how much you earned. I tell you what, it just sounds greedy.

I'm all for social welfare but to think there shouldn't be rewards for hard work and planning (spending years studying and btw...paying te MASSIVE uni debt) is ludicrous. What would be the point in trying? There wouldn't be any in the world we live in now anyway.
    You're a lefty and you're supportive of huge wage gaps? Bizarre.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Benji  (17-02-2012),delirium  (17-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeBabyNo2 View Post

Very well said. To the comment about huge wage gaps.... You don't really expect a doctor to get the same as a cleaner? Or an investment banker the same as a care worker do you? Huge wage gaps will exist depending on which career you choose and are capable of doing (for social and economic reasons as well as actual capability).

Frankly the people who say that high earners shouldn't whine about it are just incredibly selfish. Its still more of our money being taken away and it's not exactly going into the pockets of those who need it, just into the Governments bank so they can declare a surplus. Tax payers are the reason all the benefits that are out there exist, and may I add that I don't know a single one who begrudges this. It is right to look after those who need it (not just can't be bothered to work, that's another story, and no I do not mean SAHMs!). To say we should just suck it up when we already contribute much more than the average person is just plain mean.

I saw a sign up about a road development that is going to cost $8m!!! Surely there are other ways of getting more money to the government without taking benefits away from those who need it or rorting those who earn decent money and already give about half of that back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (17-02-2012)