+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely agree its a labour cash grab to attempt to return to surplus. A government in debt is not a good scenario and I'm all in favour of them returning it to surplus.

Where else would you like the money to come from? They have already introduced a new tax affecting companies, and they are smart enough to realise that making business unprofitable will only hurt to economy in the long run.

Schools? Public health? Welfare?

The fact is, people are going to complain regardless. A small increase to those who should be fairly comfortable is the least we all have to complain about.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (17-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (16-02-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (16-02-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we personally wont be affected, but even if we were on our old salaries (and would lose the rebate completely) we would still pay, puely for the choice and missing waiting lists.
    dd and a friend were born at the same time. we saw a private physio at 6weeks-12months old. her friend JUST saw the public physio at 20 months (and he wasnt crawling so was priority)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (16-02-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just feels like this year has been continual taxes which haven't been proven yet - Carbon Tax, Mining Resource Tax, now more taxes on health.

Yep - there's a lot of taxes which haven't even been collected yet - so sure I'm sceptical about why this rebate cut (with the increased tax for medicare surplus) is being brought in now.

It's one thing on top of another. I'd like to see results of some of the other cash grabs before bringing in more cash grabs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think many ppl earning over the threshold would suddenly decide to drop out because they dont get the rebate. This rebate has only been around since 2005 and many of these ppl had PHI before then.
    I see it as a bonus at the end of the year just like the money the govt gives me just for having 3 kids which i also only get at the end of the year. We are not over the threshold this year but I dont rely on it either.
    I cant imagine many couples on 166k a year wanting to wait on public health lists , or paying full amount for dental or other services when they can cover themselves for it. I dont like paying huge amonts for my car insurance either but the alternative (like the hyundai I saw run up the back of a new saab the other day) can be way worse and same goes for PHI.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think some people on high incomes would drop out - they might prefer to pay on a user basis, particularly those that work off-shore or overseas also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Just feels like this year has been continual taxes which haven't been proven yet - Carbon Tax, Mining Resource Tax, now more taxes on health.
    Flood Levy too

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    I dont think many ppl earning over the threshold would suddenly decide to drop out because they dont get the rebate. This rebate has only been around since 2005 and many of these ppl had PHI before then.
    I see it as a bonus at the end of the year just like the money the govt gives me just for having 3 kids which i also only get at the end of the year. We are not over the threshold this year but I dont rely on it either.
    I cant imagine many couples on 166k a year wanting to wait on public health lists , or paying full amount for dental or other services when they can cover themselves for it. I dont like paying huge amonts for my car insurance either but the alternative (like the hyundai I saw run up the back of a new saab the other day) can be way worse and same goes for PHI.
    Yes the rebate has only been around since 2005, but before then - the insurance was cheaper - like everything else - costs have risen significantly in the last 6 years.

Also I think you'll find the people who'd have to go onto wait lists (eg. elective surgery) are moreso retirees who wouldn't be earning over the 166k.

So the idea of hanging onto your private health to avoid waitlists is probably null and void for a few of the higher income earners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    In 1999or 1998 (Can't remember) the government introduced a Private health Insurance Incentive scheme, that was superceeded by a 30% goverment rebate in 2000.

2005 marked an introduction of a 35 and 40% rebate for memberships with a member on them that was aged 65 or 70 respectively.

The MLS exemption by having PHI has been around for a while (01/07/2000 I think?).

The MLS has remained at 1%, without being indexed (just one level, high income or not) for over 10 years!

Now we have a system that see's different income brackets paying a different level of surcharge. I think it sounds fair.

For the cost being less for MLS vs Cover.
    YES it may be cheaper to pay MLS than to pay your current Level of Cover, but what do you get?
    If you were to get the basic hospital cover ONLY it would be much less than your MLS. So you're effectively getting a discount off the cost of what your PHI would cost anyway.

Ancillary cover was never something the govenment wanted to encourage people to buy for medicare, so it doesn't qualify for the MLS, so when you compare MLS to cost of insurance, compare HOSPITAL COVER only. Cause discounts off ancillary was always just a bonus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Lot of furphies in that "article"

A lot of Dr's do get paid more in the public system.

Medicare rorts are a problem...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (17-02-2012)