+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Sort of like how the FTB part B supplement is paid?
    As far as I understand it. I only claim FTB at tax time too so I dont have to estimate so I guess unless the govt was going to pay the rebate in advance then this is how it will be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I cant stand the labour govt. Everything is means tested.

Yep, my husband earns good money. But he works so hard for it. And so much is given away with the various taxes and now this.

They give out no incentive to work hard and be good earners. Why would you - the 'wealthy' will pay your way! Ugh

And for the record, we earn over $200k and we are not cruising around in bmw or mercedes benz. we pay our mortgage and bills and put food on the table without struggle, but we work hard to do it !
    ahhh someone understands!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I don't have an issue with the removal of the 30% rebate for the middle class and above, as it won't decrease private health subscriptions, and it doesn't really serve any public purpose other than middle class welfare. The CCR (non means tested) is arguably middle class welfare, but I think it serves the purpose of encouraging women to participate in the workforce, which is beneficial to the country and to women.

High income earners won't abandon their private health cover, or at least their hospital cover, which is what the government wants people to retain.

If a family earning $200,000 per annum ceased hospital cover, then they would have to an additional $2,000 in the medicare levy surcharge (ie. extra tax) per year. They will just retain hospital cover instead, and pay the bit extra or get a slightly less comprehensive cover.

The other reality is that the middle class are probably not inclined to slum it with the plebs at the public hospital, and there is value for them there.

I have a good level of hospital and extras cover (about $260 per month after the 30% rebate) despite not really being able to afford it, because I don't think the public hospital system is adequate. for emergencies and childbirth, yes, but not for necessary but not urgent. I just wish the whole private system would be scrapped, and we all pay more tax and have a better hospital system.
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that people won't drop their private health insurance if they have to pay more. The fact is that there is a private system supports a lot of the public system.

I don't know what reality you are talking about - but I've worked at public hospitals and I currently work in the private system - the middle class do go to public hospitals a lot - not all people with higher incomes are snobs.

I agree with a previous poster that people will drop their cover and therefore premiums will rise, therefore others may drop it.

It will serve no benefit to the community as a whole - and it will compound issues by potentially (I believe definitely) having more people depend upon the public health system.

FTR - Yes - my PHI costs more than we'd pay in medicare surcharge - with the surcharge going up we'd still pay more in our PHI. With the rebate being changed, I'm seriously considering dropping our PHI.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

MaybeBabyNo2  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disregard the 30% rebate bit in this info but here is how the rebate is payed http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ate-health.jsp so you can claim it after you have paid your PHi or you can wait til you do your tax.
    I am not sure it would be cheaper to not have cover, I have top cover but if I didnt then my medical costs would have been more than what i payed to PHI in the past couple of years , for things that medicare wont cover. It costs over 100k everytime my dad has surgery for his heart and without PHI he would still be on some waiting list or dead. Plus in WA we dont pay ambulance fees thru our rates or taxes so we have to either have ambo cover or PHI or pay the $700+ it costs for an ambulance.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 16-02-2012 at 15:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What I have problem with is I'm paying hefty taxes so someone else who doesn't work can have the dole on a silver platter, health care card, FTB A and B, CCB, baby bonus, etc etc etc etc. Why not scrape all that and reduce the taxes. If we want something we'll just have to work harder and pay for it, if the government would just stop taking half our earnings as tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostysmum View Post
    What I have problem with is I'm paying hefty taxes so someone else who doesn't work can have the dole on a silver platter, health care card, FTB A and B, CCB, baby bonus, etc etc etc etc. Why not scrape all that and reduce the taxes. If we want something we'll just have to work harder and pay for it, if the government would just stop taking half our earnings as tax.
    And what if you can't work? What if you and/or your DH become disabled in a motor vehicle accident for instance?

What if any one of a hundred things happened during your 20s and 30s and your earning capacity was severely limited?

Do you think you would still feel the same way?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

GM01  (16-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    And what if you can't work? What if you and/or your DH become disabled in a motor vehicle accident for instance?

What if any one of a hundred things happened during your 20s and 30s and your earning capacity was severely limited?

Do you think you would still feel the same way?
    I read it as the dole not a pension but I may be wrong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Frostysmum  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was the reference to the health care card that prompted my post. I didn't realise people on unemployment benefits get that.

But even so, that kind of attitude makes me nauseous and I'm not going to apologise for that.
    Last edited by OurLittleBlessing; 16-02-2012 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ahh another irritating thread...

So DH and I earn over 200k per year. And we are so comfortable! Anyone that b*tches about needing to pay an extra $1000 per year or something is living way above their means in some huge mansion that probably isn't making their quality of life any better. It's for your health. Seriously.

And OP if you pay $155 pm its not going up $1,000 per year. You lose a 30% rebate which means the most it can go up is to $221pm which is $66pm or $792 per year. ($221 x 0.7 = 155).
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 16-02-2012 at 17:18.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (16-02-2012),delirium  (17-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (16-02-2012),Izy  (16-02-2012),lulu 2  (16-02-2012),MissMuppet  (16-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (16-02-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Ahh another irritating thread...

So DH and I earn over 200k per year. And we are so comfortable! Anyone that b*tches about needing to pay an extra $1000 per year or something is living way above their means in some huge mansion that probably isn't making their quality of life any better. It's for your health. Seriously.

And OP if you pay $155 pm its not going up $1,000 per year. You lose a 30% rebate which means the most it can go up is to $221pm which is $66pm or $792 per year. ($221 x 0.7 = 155). {text removed by moderator}
    To say people shouldn't complain about paying more for their health is a bit blase I think.

The fact is this move to change the rebate rules is another way of increasing the governments coffers with no benefit to the public.

It's not like saying they are increasing taxes to put back into the public health system.

My thoughts on the reasoning behind this is that they have promised their surplus and they are going for anyway they can to get it.

As for raising the medicare surcharge at the same time - it makes it even more obvious that this is about a money grab.

As I've said previously - I do believe people will leave their PH funds which will lead to more pressure on the public system.

So I believe more people should complain about it.

Can someone please explain to me how removing the rebate is of benefit to anyone????
    Last edited by Mod-SammiAnn; 16-02-2012 at 20:03. Reason: ...editing...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

MaybeBabyNo2  (16-02-2012),risfaerie  (17-02-2012)