+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a single parent on about 40k who has recently dropped from top line cover to middle of the road cover. Whilst the changes being discussed don't affect me thank god I'm struggling to keep my health insurance going and am seriously going to have to consider dropping the hospital side of thing once bub #2 arrives in July and this is without any premiums rises in the next 6 months. It's getting so health care is s luxury that a lot of families can't afford which disgusts me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Guess what passed the house of reps.

Comes in 1/7/2012 and its extra lovely. Includes indexed mls increasing from 1% to 1.5% for tier 3 incomes.
    So i guess phi will still be cheaper than the mls for those effected....

*sent from my adiction... my phone*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why extra lovely?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just my 2 cents:

The PHI rebate was initially brought in to encourage the middle-higher income earners to take out PHI and help free up the public hospital system. I feel that there will be plenty who decide it's not worth the trouble (especially if they haven't ever really had to use it before) and ditch it, suddenly the public hospital waiting lists are worse than before, and the health system is a shambles again. Some people are actually rich because they don't spend money on useless things, which is how some will now see PHI, especially when they can't take advantage of the government rebate.

By the way, I will be affected by this. We are not rich, but on paper we do have some investments which affect our income, even though we are still paying for them. We get some claims back at tax time, but nowhere near what we actually pay out throughout the year. We are not doing this for any other reason than to try and provide a future for our family, once the investments are actually paid off (possibly in about 10 years) then we can hopefully say we are well-off and it won't bother us so much.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shokujo For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've checked it out and nope! We will still be better off financially to ditch our cover totally. Just waiting for the arrival of this baby...

Glad to be a burden to a system I've supported for so long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alot of high income earners have PHI included in their salary or pay it thru their own company (I think its a tax thing) and corprate discounts too, we get an 8% discount thru the fund we are with just because of where dh works. Maybe these stats were considered when the govt decided to introduce a threshhold on higher income earners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard this morning that you will need to estimate your income re health insurance. If you underestimate you will have to pay at tax time but what if you overestimated your income, will you then be reimbursed if you have paid too much phi for the financial year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I heard this morning that you will need to estimate your income re health insurance. If you underestimate you will have to pay at tax time but what if you overestimated your income, will you then be reimbursed if you have paid too much phi for the financial year?
    I dont think it will be more PHI you would be paying but rather the amount of rebate you would get back at the end of financial year which is worked out when you do your tax return. So if you over estimate your income and it falls below the threathhold then you would still get the rebate.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    I dont think it will be more PHI you would be paying but rather the amount of rebate you would get back at the end of financial year which is worked out when you do your tax return. So if you over estimate your income and it falls below the threathhold then you would still get the rebate.
    Sort of like how the FTB part B supplement is paid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant stand the labour govt. Everything is means tested.

Yep, my husband earns good money. But he works so hard for it. And so much is given away with the various taxes and now this.

They give out no incentive to work hard and be good earners. Why would you - the 'wealthy' will pay your way! Ugh

And for the record, we earn over $200k and we are not cruising around in bmw or mercedes benz. we pay our mortgage and bills and put food on the table without struggle, but we work hard to do it !

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manny For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (16-02-2012),ICanDream  (16-02-2012),kw123  (16-02-2012),RenovatorMum  (16-02-2012),risfaerie  (17-02-2012)