Hula hoops can be such fun....for those who can master the art of hula hooping, however also for our bubbas and toddlers. Have you tried these ideas lately?

Using your hoop to sing and act out the rhyme, 'Row, row, row your boat'. You hold one side and your child holds the other and simply sway forwards and backwards. Depending on the age of your child this could be great for grasping, swaying, keeping in time to a beat, singing and laughing!!
Don't forget to sing the additional fun verses;
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream,
If you see a crocodile don't forget to scream,
And my son Leo's personal favourite;
Rock, rock, rock your boat,
Gently to the shore,
If you see a lion,
Don't forget to roar,

Use your hoop to spin on its spot. Babies love to try and make it stop and toddlers and pre-schoolers will love to have a go themsleves!

Turn the hoop into a car! Easier for walking children. They get into the hoop and hold as they zoom, beep or toot their way around the house or back garden, remembering to 'stop at the red lights' on the way to the 'shop' to pick up some much needed groceries. This is a simple role play activity.

Most hoops are a perfect size for children to practice their jumping, either on the spot, in and out, or over. Also great to incorporate the use of 'directional words' as you ask your child to 'stand next to the hoop', 'jump inside the hoop', 'leap over the hoop' and so on.

Have you tried skipping with a hoop? Use the same principle as a skipping rope. Remember that some activities your child may not be able to do, but they'll have just as much fun watching you attempt to do them instead!

To develop your child's tossing and aiming skills, place the hoop flat on the floor. Use objects of varying sizes and weights, depending on your child's developmental play stage, to toss and aim for inside the hoop.

I hope some of these ideas will be fun and helpful!

Remember if there is a specific part of play you would like advice about or some ideas for please feel free to contact me, I'm very happy to help! :)