+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a nurse and working shifts are difficult. We have 2 babies who go to child care 3 days a week and I work 4 days do 1 day is always a weekend. I guess the hardest part is your kids are at home whilst you are at work and vice versa. I do have a few friends who went into nursing thinking that they would get all day shifts cause they have kids and need to be there for pick ups etc but that is a huge mistake- everyone and I mean everyone on my ward wants day shift so as a result we all get equalish day, evening and nights. Our roster is out 4 weeks in advance minimum and often 8 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Shift working nurses and mums, is it manageable?

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Shift working nurses and mums, is it manageable?

Subbing, have you thought about agency work? Or starting off in aged care.. Lots of places if you work aged care before there they offer you a position (happened at my old work all the time)!

I'm starting my nursing next year when bubs is 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I graduate, I am going to do aged care, and then move into ward work when DD is a bit older. Being a single Mum and mixing nursing is just ridiculous, but it's my passion and hopefully FOB will step up to the plate a bit more. Family have said they will help out, which is lovely, and I am just ploughing on, trying not to stress, and reaching for that dream.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just finished my nursing degree. We have 3 young children. My DH works a 4 on 4 off rotating shift work roster. For these reasons I chose not to do my transition grad year. The thought of worrying about what shifts I would/wouldn't get was already stressing me out. I'm aspiring to become a practice nurse at some point this year when I'm ready to return to work good hours and no shift work