+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shift working nurses and mums, is it manageable?

I am starting my first year in nursing and I am just thinking ahead to when I finish and get a job.

I have 3 little ones who will be in years 4,3 and 1 when I will hopefully have a job in a hospital. Now I just don't know how it will work, I don't have family around me to look after my kids for a few hours if hours clash with hubby's.

How does it usually work, do you rotate around between day and night shifts? How long in advance do you usually get a roasted so you can prepare? Can you choose night or day or do you have to do both? And do the hours you start and finish change or are they standard ie 9pm to 9am or can one shift be certain times and then next shifts totally different?

Any insights into working as a nurse would be awesome!! Oh and I am in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have children of nurses who go to our school, but their hubby's can finish by 5.30 which means one of them consistently works within the time constraints of before & after school or vacation care. Otherwise if it's only a couple of hours short, and you know when it will be, it might be worth getting a babysitter. Expensive I know, but if it's just a short time it might not work out so bad. The nurse mums at our school have their rosters a week in advance, but can be called in other times, too. I personally find it more difficult with school age kids, but if you have access to before and after school care, and have a hubby on set hours, life will be infinitely easier. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Generally for most jobs on the ward where the bulk of people end up after graduating you need to do both days and nights. (although if you just want to do nights I doubt anyone will complain!) I've heard of a couple of wards where they have enough staff who only want to work nights that the rest of the staff don't have to- never been lucky enough to find one of them myself though!

Rosters also vary but generally should be out minimum 2 weeks before the start of the next one. Again at work I've seen them come out anywhere from 2 months before to the day before (grrr!) so it really depends...

Shifts vary between places but it's a bit difficult to vary from their set shifts. Most places have the morning 7am-3.30pm, afternoon 2.30-11 and night 11-7.30 or similar. I find for most places it's probably not possible to change- ie you probably couldn't start at 8am when the set shift starts at 7 or they'll be one short until you get there. You generally do a mix of all shifts.

Most of the ladies who have kids at home & working partners are part time which makes it easier for them. Often roster managers let you request a set roster (ie. Tue morning, wed afternoon, thur night) which can help- unless you have a really onto- it roster manager though be prepared to keep reminding them you have a set roster or they'll probably forget! Shifts can always be swapped as well. Particularly if you're happy to swap to some of the less popular shifts (nights, weekends) it's not too hard to find people who want to swap.

Hope that helped & good luck

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also look at family day care educators. I am an educator and I do night care and weekend care for ladies like yourself that need care after hours. You are still entitled to CCB and CCR through someone like myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Be careful with fdc, I have been with 3 different ones and been left without care by all of them. If you go with fdc, make sure you have an emergency back up person because I was screwed each time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Congratz on starting your degree!! I'm a nurse who has recently returned to work (DS is 9 months old). Maria02 summed it up really well! There are some areas that have more school friendly hours like some shifts in theater or community nursing might suit because its business hours. Also where I work we get our roster a month in advance and at least in NSW there is a requirement that the roster is out at least 2 weeks in advance.

In your graduate year most people do 3-4 rotations around different wards which means changing managers which can make it really difficult. Again as Maria02 said it so depends on your manager. I can't get set shifts where I work but a friend who cares for DS at home and my DH is a teacher so were lucky.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the hospital i work in the shifts are 7 - 3.30 1- 9.30. And 9- 7.30am. You could consider joining casual pool. Early shift ends at 2.30pm and choose when you work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much ladies, that helped heaps!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I'm a nurse in Brisbane area on with 3 yr ds! I work in day surgery I highly recommend getting work in theatre; community clinic somewhere where there isant shift work! There are plenty of places out there a lot of grads who work on ward of work 0.8 or 0.6 in there first yr as it is very demanding and u tend to get ur share of crap shifts! But if ur upfront about ur situation q health is pretty flexable most nurses are mums so u can negotiate! Before and after school care is the go as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies for all the spelling errors I'm using iPhone